Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-06-2011, 06:42 PM   #61
Rivet Master
 
till's Avatar
 
Lisle , Illinois
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,270
Images: 108
Blog Entries: 2
Pat,
Great photos! Thanks for taking the time. These will really help with the construction of the new goucho. I could use one demetion though.... What is the depth of the base box? The rest I can wing pretty easy.

Thanks again
__________________
Tedd Ill
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:50 PM   #62
3 Rivet Member
 
kokopat's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Hendersonville, NC , North Carolina
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 120
Images: 1
The box is 76" x 8" tall x 11" deep with the extensions back to the front wall leaving ~7.25" of room for the fresh water tank. My tank was 6" tall. All the way to the wall front to back is 35".
kokopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:03 AM   #63
4 Rivet Member
 
constructor's Avatar

 
1973 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Burnsville , North Carolina
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 284
Blog Entries: 2
Great inspiration. We pick up ou 68 today. Is there ever a case (east coasters) where it isn't needed to work to the frame if the trailer has been stored outside ? gotta figure after 40 years the steel needs repairs from being in elements?

We were hoping to avoid it. only one soft spot by toilet. The rest is all solid.
constructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:49 AM   #64
3 Rivet Member
 
kokopat's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Hendersonville, NC , North Carolina
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 120
Images: 1
Hi Constructor,
My frame was all good except the back under the hatch and it had been sitting in a field in Summerville, SC for 10 years. However all the subfloor wood around the sides under windows was mush. If there is an opening in the roof for a vent line or ventilation then the water came in. If that is the only soft spot then you are lucky. (except that's a tough repair if you do it right)
Pat
kokopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:36 AM   #65
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,497
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokopat View Post
Hi Constructor,
My frame was all good except the back under the hatch and it had been sitting in a field in Summerville, SC for 10 years. However all the subfloor wood around the sides under windows was mush. If there is an opening in the roof for a vent line or ventilation then the water came in. If that is the only soft spot then you are lucky. (except that's a tough repair if you do it right)
Pat
Typically, if a torsion axle has not been exercised for years, the rubber rods deteriorate, making the axle's cushioning useless.

Andy
__________________
Andy Rogozinski
Inland RV Center
Corona, CA
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:14 AM   #66
4 Rivet Member
 
constructor's Avatar

 
1973 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Burnsville , North Carolina
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 284
Blog Entries: 2
Thanks guys. We are almost there. Will get pic posted tonight. Will check axles before leaving and take it easy driving er home.

sounds like axel replacement is common.
constructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:24 AM   #67
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,497
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by constructor View Post
Thanks guys. We are almost there. Will get pic posted tonight. Will check axles before leaving and take it easy driving er home.

sounds like axel replacement is common.
Two things cause torsion axles to go bad, other than an accident.

1. Old age. Typical age for a frequently used torsion axle can be 20 to 30 years, and sometimes more.

2. Lack of use. The rubber rods internally, must be exercised at least every few months. To leave the coach parked, with all the weight on the axle/axles, is a no-no, as the rubber rods will typicall take a set, meaning they will solidify, making them useless, as a cushion. Parking the coach with all the weight on the axle/axles for as little as 2 years, can ruin the rubber rods.

Andy
__________________
Andy Rogozinski
Inland RV Center
Corona, CA
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 04:31 PM   #68
Rivet Master
 
till's Avatar
 
Lisle , Illinois
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,270
Images: 108
Blog Entries: 2
Well I know I have been "off line" for a while. To day was a big day for progress.
Made a trip to the scrap yard to unload a bunch of scrap metal that was cluttering the garage and back yard. My place was starting to look like Sanford and Son.
Than I cut up the interior endcaps from my first AS and the one I took out of the current one!. Man did they take up a lot of space.
While cleaning up after the endcap job, I found that I have another load of scrap!

One more side project to finish clearing out the garage. This little project has been waiting 3 years to be finished...... But then the true AS work will begin.

The next major order is axles from Inland RV. Since it is about 2 hours to Elkhart I plan in a will call and pick them up.

Now back to your regular programing......
__________________
Tedd Ill
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 04:57 PM   #69
Moderator
 
eubank's Avatar

 
Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 6,774
All the more reason to get out and go camping!

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
2. Lack of use. The rubber rods internally, must be exercised at least every few months. To leave the coach parked, with all the weight on the axle/axles, is a no-no, as the rubber rods will typicall take a set, meaning they will solidify, making them useless, as a cushion. Parking the coach with all the weight on the axle/axles for as little as 2 years, can ruin the rubber rods. Andy
__________________
WBCCI 21043
eubank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:32 AM   #70
Rivet Master
 
till's Avatar
 
Lisle , Illinois
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,270
Images: 108
Blog Entries: 2
Another camping season is upon us. Brought the trailer home to prep for a weekend trip. Still chasing leaks... While cleaning the 1/2" of Vulkem from around the front vent, I fount that I have several popped rivets on the roof!! I will have to get those axles sooner then I thought. The poor gal is tearing herself apart before she is even finished.
__________________
Tedd Ill
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:47 PM   #71
1 Rivet Member
 
1968 26' Overlander
Eugene , Oregon
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 18
Compartment Door

Hey Till,
I just bought my first Airstream so am new to this. I picked up a 1968 26' Overlander Twin International. anyway It's missing the Port side rear Compartment Door. You wouldn't happen to have something like that you could sell to me would you? (you mention having 3 units) If not, any leads on where to find one? I've looked at "Inland", and "Vintage Trailer" and the "Ware Mart" named place....

I suppose I can Make something, but would really like to have what was meant to be there.

Thanks for any thoughts... Or suggestions
The best
Quince
Quince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:03 PM   #72
Rivet Master
 
TomW's Avatar
 
1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,992
Images: 3
Frank's Trailer Works used to make replacements - You might ping member 62overlander for more info.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:37 PM   #73
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,497
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quince View Post
Hey Till,
I just bought my first Airstream so am new to this. I picked up a 1968 26' Overlander Twin International. anyway It's missing the Port side rear Compartment Door. You wouldn't happen to have something like that you could sell to me would you? (you mention having 3 units) If not, any leads on where to find one? I've looked at "Inland", and "Vintage Trailer" and the "Ware Mart" named place....

I suppose I can Make something, but would really like to have what was meant to be there.

Thanks for any thoughts... Or suggestions
The best
Quince
We have had those doors for over 20 years.

Andy
__________________
Andy Rogozinski
Inland RV Center
Corona, CA
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:07 PM   #74
Rivet Master
 
till's Avatar
 
Lisle , Illinois
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,270
Images: 108
Blog Entries: 2
Quince,

I do not have any spare doors for the '68s. I was unhappy to find that the '67 doors do not fit the '68s.

You can also look in the classified section..

Regards,
Tedd
__________________
Tedd Ill
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:00 PM   #75
Rivet Master
 
Jezibels's Avatar
 
1966 24' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 530
Images: 2
Inland has the rear compartment doors, I bought one last year for my 66.
__________________
Happy Trails!
Jezibels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:18 PM   #76
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,497
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by till View Post
Quince,

I do not have any spare doors for the '68s. I was unhappy to find that the '67 doors do not fit the '68s.

You can also look in the classified section..

Regards,
Tedd
Tedd.

65, 66 and 68 compartment doors are the same design and basic sizes.

Why Airstream changed all of them for 1967 is anyones guess.

Andy
__________________
Andy Rogozinski
Inland RV Center
Corona, CA
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
1968, crazy, floor, overlander


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A time to buy, a time to sell Argosyfan Member Introductions 2 03-12-2008 10:39 PM
A 19' CCD for me...4th times a charm! soldiermedic General Repair Forum 73 09-06-2007 02:37 PM
2 times the charm! codybear Tires 17 06-21-2007 09:16 PM
first-time poster.....long-time reader ("lurker") happyfella Member Introductions 3 08-21-2006 08:55 PM
Part Time vs Full Time (Days/Year) InsideOut Community Polls 30 10-23-2005 09:43 AM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.