Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2010, 09:36 PM   #141
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Chapin , South Carolina
"driveway" vacation!

Well, we are making progress.
I went to IKEA and bought a mattress (foam 4 inch thick, queen size) in their clearance section. Cut it down to fit the curves of the front bed. I have about 15 yards of some nice upholstery fabric I have had up in my attic for 15 years and decided the blue color would go with our flooring. A quick trip to the fabric store and I got some cream jeans fabric to make into piping and "casual" the fabric out a little. A big zipper (hate doing zippers ) on the rear of the cushion for easy cleaning and we are set.
Our Great Dane crate is built! Just waiting for the polyurethane to dry on the door and we can finish it up. Russ insisted that it had to be made sturdier than the other crates so he had to use his new welder. Me thinks he just wanted to play with his new toy! Turned out great. Now I need to carve out and sew/cover the twin foam mattress for on top. This will be our older son's bed.
The kitchen counter is installed, the stove top is working, and the sink is installed though the plumbing isn't done yet. Love the counter top! Months ago we were at a sale and got a bunch of commercial Formica including the distressed copper of the counter tops and the aluminum cover wall divider and back splash. We are placing the fridge in the space underneath the cook top and shelving under the sink area.
Both our boys (12 and 14 yrs old) have spent a lot of time this week helping out and it has made a huge difference.We installed our diamontrax flooring up until the wall divider. LOVE it too. Only negative is the texture on it is a little rough on bare feet. Will take a good picture of it tomorrow and post it.
Have spent the last few days polishing and it has been an adventure.
Last picture is of the boys trying out a kennel and the large front bed.
More pics to come tomorrow.
And Kevin, you are right, driveway vacations can be fun.
Jenn
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2694.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	106873   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2713.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	106874  

Name:	IMG_2696.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	106875   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2697.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	106876  

JSTOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:31 PM   #142
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Chapin , South Carolina
going camping tonight!

Well, after a busy week of working on the camper (more Russ then me ) we are off camping in Alabama just for the night. Both kids and all 4 dogs are coming. It will be an adventure as always. Trying out all our new improvement and will report back.
Jenn
Old 07-19-2010, 01:51 PM   #143
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Chapin , South Carolina
Camping great- a few kinks

OK, camping was great.
A few negatives: We arrived and it down-pored on us for the whole night. Yes, lightening, thunder, non-stop. Found a leak around our temporary front window and a leak from the front rectangular skylight (also a tempoarary fix until we put on the proper dome). Minor leaks so not bad and easily fixed. Big problem was our generator. It stalled out as we were driving. Russ is looking into it and will update when we know more.
A/C was wonderful. Dog kennels were great and so much easier. All beds were comfortable (except our air mattress, also temporary). The stove top worked without problems. Decided we really do like our layout so far.
I attached a couple more pics taken just before we left.
First pic shows the floor up to the first wall. Second pic shows our eldest boy riveting on the original 12 volt lights that we have decided to reuse. Last pic is my hubby making faces as he hates plumbing!
Jenn
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2726.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	107056   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2737.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	107057  

Name:	IMG_2739.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	107058  
Old 07-28-2010, 06:06 PM   #144
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Send a message via ICQ to flamingo-kid1 Send a message via AIM to flamingo-kid1
a transformed butterfly!

Greetings!

It's RaChelle from deafdogs - also AirForums :-)

Is this the same trailer that is in your opening shots of this thread???

YIKES!!!

She's BEAUTIFUL!!

you could fit all 3 of my Jacks (Dilly, Dallya nd Deafanie) into one of your great kennels - but there'd be BLOOD :-) They don't play well with others, including themSELVES sometimes!!
I've got two deafies and one goofy - and the deafness has nada to do with it - it's the terrier outlook. We call them Jack Russell Terrorists.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:34 AM   #145
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Chapin , South Carolina
Hello RaChelle!

Hello RaChelle,
Good to hear from you. Yeah, looked pretty gross when we bought it. OK, absolutely disgusting!!! Have to admit I boycotted working on it until all the gross foul stuff was out. (I played the "girl" card.)
My pups don't always get along either and blood does get drawn but we are making progress. Sputty is my deaf Catahoula hellion that gives me gray hairs. The rest of the pack is pretty easy going. So much easier to travel with our built in kennels! Dogs lay down and go to sleep in their very comfy A/C.
Jenn
Old 08-22-2010, 11:01 AM   #146
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Chapin , South Carolina
Polishing and Fridge

Made some progress polishing last weekend, still have a way's to go. Here's the new fridge install. Need to get the plumbing working and add doors to the cabinet. I still haven't decided on the door design yet. Jenn and I keep going back and forth on this one.

Russ
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2820.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	187.1 KB
ID:	109141   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2818.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	308.6 KB
ID:	109142  

Old 08-22-2010, 12:52 PM   #147
3 Rivet Member

1964 28' Ambassador
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
That's going to be one shiny Airstream! You guys are doing a great job! I look forward to your progress because it gives all of us inspiration to keep working on our projects.
Ambie '64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:07 AM   #148
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
Awesome work guys! You guys give me LOTS of inspiration for out Overlander... polishing is no our agenda over the next few weeks.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:41 PM   #149
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Chapin , South Carolina
Polishing and polishing and polishing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJMarkhams70 View Post
Awesome work guys! You guys give me LOTS of inspiration for out Overlander... polishing is no our agenda over the next few weeks.
Good luck on the polishing. I've been sweating a lot on the polishing, because it has been so darn hot out. I know others have said it take a lot of time to polish, I agree. What is nice about the polishing is instant gratification. When you finish a small section you can easily envision how the rest will look polished. Good luck! We are going with the nuvite polish, seems to work real well. As you have probably read, very dirty...

Russ
Old 08-24-2010, 06:14 AM   #150
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTOTT View Post
What is nice about the polishing is instant gratification. When you finish a small section you can easily envision how the rest will look polished.

Russ
Completely agree. I actually enjoy polishing, in the same way I enjoy sanding wood. Immediate results, instant gratification.

Still doesn't mean it's not hard work though.

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:28 PM   #151

1965 26' Overlander
Bellevue , Idaho
OH MY GOSH!! Just completed reading your thread form beginning to end. It brings back so many memories (both good and bad). You have done a great job and I look forward to your future posts. I have just spent all day polishing(re-doing after 3 years) and you guys have made it a little easier to go out and pick up the Cyclo again tomorrow.
wbcc65ovrlnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 07:07 AM   #152
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Chapin , South Carolina
Before polishing...

Based on your picture, yours is a mirror. I still have a ways to go. My goal has been to get the heavy oxidation layers off and then come back at it with a finer polish. I've made it around the trailer 1 full time but still need to go back at it. Someone had posted a question and I was looking back at original pictures, its come a long way since I first dragged it home.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1755.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	276.3 KB
ID:	112748  
Old 11-28-2010, 06:19 AM   #153
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Chapin , South Carolina
making progress again! figured out why my generator was cutting off during driving. every time we turned left it would cut off. I was convinced that there was a tilt switch in the system because it would just kill at a certain angle. After pulling apart the entire generator looking for some sort of tilt switch, I finally realized it was the low oil pressure. Little LED on the front panel should have been obvious but the little LED was soo dim in the bright light that I kept thinking it was a tilt kill switch. If anyone else is running into the same problem with the honda eu 3000. Don't tear apart your generator, just make sure your oil is topped off.

Russ
Old 01-30-2013, 05:40 PM   #154
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Chapin , South Carolina
We moved b ut still have/love our 1965 overlander!

We moved to SC, had our airstream in storage and it sat unused and un-updated for a long time... but we have built a new garage at our "new" house (old house requiring our full attention hence the ignoring of our airstream build) and our airstream is back home. We even had the garage 3rd bay built exactly to our airstream dimensions! We are planning on resuming our build any day now. Will continue to update this thread SOON.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:11 PM   #155
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Good to hear you'll be able to get back to it.

Good luck in SC. Hope you got out of the old hometown before Sandy hit!

John
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:01 AM   #156
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Chapin , South Carolina
Thanks John!
Jenn
Old 03-07-2013, 08:55 PM   #157
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Chapin , South Carolina
Fixing that door handle, off to a slow start

Well I bought the wrong door knob. I measured the door knob backset wrote down the wrong size and ordered the wrong door knob, it looks great but won't fit. The '65 needs a 3 3/4 backset for a door latch which wasn't easy to find. Found an old post from 3 years ago on the Airforum which pointed me in the right direction. I've ordered a plymouth style commercial schlage lock from doorware.com. Couldn't find anything cheaper...hope it fits ok.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:24 PM   #158
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Chapin , South Carolina
Door knob is in, it looks great. Nice to have a working door knob. The door and knob required some minor modifications to get it to work. I had to drill out the hole in the door to accomodate the 1" diameter latch and file down the latch a little to get it to fit. Otherwise not too bad!!

Tags