Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1965 - 1969 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-31-2010, 05:29 PM   #81
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream View Post
Appears? What picture (in which post) & what signs do you observe?

How should this current observation be handled compared to your comments to JSTOTT in the first 12 posts of this thread?
Bob.

The upper left photo shows a small gap between the frame and rub rail, at least when I blow up the photo 4 times.

I have no idea when that photo was taken or what stage the repair may be in, as I did not read all the posts.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 06:57 PM   #82
3 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Largo , Florida
Jennifer & Russ, great job. I also missed your earlier postings. I took a few months off from working on my AS and that's about when you started. She's looking really good. Judy
Old 02-07-2010, 08:39 PM   #83
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Chapin , South Carolina
Time to support the rusting frame

Working on a plan for the front frame where there was some rust through. I decided to cut off 3 of the outriggers. The two right by the door and one just forward of it. I plan to sister the C channel with some structural steel a friend brought over for me. There is about an 8 foot section I'll be supporting.

The front steps are a bit of a mess and I haven't decided if I want to add the steps back in or not just yet but it is still an option. I finished cleaning up and grinding the outriggers flush. I then started the process of bolting on the support. I'll post the repairs when complete but here are some of the spots that are being fixed and the doorway after cutting off the outriggers.
Russ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1939.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	95768   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1940.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	95769  

Name:	IMG_1944.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	95770   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1945.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	95771  

JSTOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 01:01 PM   #84
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Chapin , South Carolina
Rear lights & another floor piece

Russ has been very busy with non airstream stuff, but this weekend we made a little more progress. His dad helped and they finished putting in the rear lights and new license plate holder. I attached a pic that shows it all including the rear compartment door. I like it.
Next they got in another floor piece. Note the glee on his face when it slipped in (I mean banged, shoved, squeezed, propped, was jacked into...) place.
Russ also reinforced the frame and reconstructed the outriggers that were damaged. Pics to follow.
Jennifer
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0899.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	96737   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1976.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	96738  

Old 02-22-2010, 04:23 PM   #85
3 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
Daleville , Alabama
Great job guys! Looks like your gonna make your deadline Jen. Bo and Susan.
Bo&Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:39 PM   #86
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Chapin , South Carolina
Hi Bo and Susan!

Bo and Susan,
Thanks.
I think it will be a push to meet our deadline but we are trying. Our second piece of flooring went in with some struggle but much better than we anticipated. Fit great. How is your floor going?
Jenn
Old 02-22-2010, 10:53 PM   #87
3 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
Daleville , Alabama
Have rear two sheets to put in but had to stop there, one of our older boys (32 his name is Luke but we,ve been calling him "Sparky" since he was about 16) has started pulling new wire for us and may need to take a line through the frame to the other side. We are doing a total rewire on the 110 and decided to run it all in the lower half as we think that would be easier access should we need it. Our overhead cabinets are all we left intact and even though they look tatty they are solid, so I spent this afternoon peeling the veneer off the face of the front one as we are going to laminate them with birch. I,ve been dying to get my hands on them but couldn,t do it balancing on crossmembers lol. Susan
Old 02-22-2010, 11:05 PM   #88
3 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
Daleville , Alabama
BTW we haven,t posted it yet but when we put the third sheet down we noticed that the second sheet was not lined up with the first at the outer edge ( it was slid over about 1/4 inch too far on road side ). A quick fix was to screw a short 2x4 to it and a quick smack with the hammer and it slid over. Susan
Old 02-22-2010, 11:24 PM   #89
Rivet Master

1965 28' Ambassador
Irving , Texas
Russ,I like the additional rivets around the back door.Gives it a more substantial look than the smooth original door.Great job on the tail lights.Just got to mine from the inside the other day.
bwaysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 05:21 AM   #90
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Chapin , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo&Susan View Post
"total rewire on the 110 and decided to run it all in the lower half"
We'll probably do the same with the rewire. I'm planning on running a 30 amp line from the front of the camper and put in a SS twistlock outlet for the power entry.

What are your thoughts for the converter and electric panel. I was looking at the ones on vintage trailer supply but haven't researched them too much. I don't think I'm going to add an inverter at this time due to cost.

Great idea with the 2x4. I just pushed from the outside to correct, but I like the 2x4 idea a little better.

Russ
Old 02-23-2010, 05:25 AM   #91
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Chapin , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaysteve View Post
Russ,I like the additional rivets around the back door.Gives it a more substantial look than the smooth original door.Great job on the tail lights.Just got to mine from the inside the other day.
Thanks on the door, the tailights took a lot longer than I thought it would to get them right. Just a note, if you are taking yours out. When you put them back in be careful with the drill, I added a couple nice scuff marks on the top from the chuck of the drill. I'll need to do some touch up to correct. (grrrrrrr)

Russ
Old 03-20-2010, 05:43 AM   #92
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Chapin , South Carolina
Time to work on the trailer again

Sorry I haven't been to active but now that US FIRST Robotics is over, its time to work on the trailer again. Robot picture attached. I've attached some pictures of the welding we did to the frame to strengthen by the door. I cut off 3 outriggers and sistered up the beam. Pretty darn solid now... We're using a new set of steps to make life easier. I also have all the running lights working with some new markers.

Regards,
Russ
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1355.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	98416   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2116.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	98417  

Name:	IMG_2122.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	98418   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2100.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	98419  

Old 04-05-2010, 06:58 AM   #93
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Chapin , South Carolina
Our camping trip...

We have made significant progress, dropped the belly pan and painted the frame. We painted the frame from the top when we had the floor out but you can really see how much I missed when you open the belly pan. I now look like the tin man from all the silver paint dropping down. We put the new steps in, different than the original but I'm very happy with them considering both of these outriggers had to be cut off to support the frame. The other shot is a temporary window, I had some lexan lying around and some aluminum channel to slide it into. This beats the scrap of wood I've been using to keep out the rain.
Russ
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Temporary window.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	99447   Click image for larger version

Name:	Painted Frame.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	99448  

Name:	painted frame 2.JPG
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	99449   Click image for larger version

Name:	New steps installed.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	99450  

Old 04-05-2010, 08:25 AM   #94
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
FIRST too!

Great job you're doing there! Just had to comment that my daughter's school will be in ATL soon for the FIRST worldwide championships. To semi-final finishes in regionals and the Chairman's award this last regional. She and the team are VERY excited! (But since she's a freshman, she won't be going to ATL). Will your team be there? I loved looking at all the work all the teams have done!
Marc
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	downsized_0222001842.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	99503  
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:40 PM   #95
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Chapin , South Carolina
Flooring choices- Swisstrax Diamond trax flooring

Hi,
We are making progress. All the rebuilt windows are installed (my paltry contribution). Russ is finishing putting the belly pan back on but I'll let him post all his floor insulating/belly pan/wiring info.
After finishing the windows, I went on a flooring quest. We were going to use simple vinyl composite commercial tile. But, on craiglist today I came across Swisstrax Diamond trax flooring. I had looked at this product on their website a few months back but it was too pricey for our meager budget. I had issues with the floor costing almost double what we paid for our airstream! Well, this guy had 264 square feet of the stuff. I bargained him down to only $100 more than the cost of the VCT tile we had planned on using. The color was midnight blue, actually very close in color to the blue used on the airstreams! I love it. Picked it up an hour later and it is sitting in our garage. (Well... still in the back of the truck but will be in the garage.)
Anyone ever use this? Have any feedback on it?
Thanks,
Jennifer
Old 04-05-2010, 08:01 PM   #96
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
What?? No pictures? How do we know for sure you're making progress? We don't have any photographic proof.

Guess I'll need to learn about this Swisstrax Diamond Trax stuff. Sounds really interesting and if you get that excited, it must be good stuff.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:14 PM   #97
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Chapin , South Carolina
Insulation of the floor.

Worked on insulating the floor, used R-10, 2" thick pink stuff with wood screws and fender washers to hold them up. I'll post some pictures when I finish putting up the belly pan. Went through a lot of rivets today. Real happy with the pneumatic riveter, really speeds things up. I'll need to pick up some aluminum to do some patches on the belly pan.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2143.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	99575   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2161.JPG
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	99576  

Old 04-05-2010, 11:29 PM   #98
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Chapin , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy View Post
Great job you're doing there! Just had to comment that my daughter's school will be in ATL soon for the FIRST worldwide championships. To semi-final finishes in regionals and the Chairman's award this last regional. She and the team are VERY excited! (But since she's a freshman, she won't be going to ATL). Will your team be there? I loved looking at all the work all the teams have done!
Marc
Congratulations Mark, very exciting. Chairman's award, sounds like you guys have a great team! Hopefully your daughter will have an opportunity to go next year. FIRST is really a great learning opportunity for kids and mentors.

I'm looking forward to going to see the championships, our team won't be competing but we are are going to go and watch. My son is a freshman too and it was our team's rookie year. We were excited to get the Rookie inspiration award. I'm real proud of our team and had a lot of fun but I'm happy to get some of my time back to work on the trailer.
Russ
Old 04-06-2010, 08:03 AM   #99
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTOTT View Post
Hi,
We are making progress. All the rebuilt windows are installed (my paltry contribution). Russ is finishing putting the belly pan back on but I'll let him post all his floor insulating/belly pan/wiring info.
After finishing the windows, I went on a flooring quest. We were going to use simple vinyl composite commercial tile. But, on craiglist today I came across Swisstrax Diamond trax flooring. I had looked at this product on their website a few months back but it was too pricey for our meager budget. I had issues with the floor costing almost double what we paid for our airstream! Well, this guy had 264 square feet of the stuff. I bargained him down to only $100 more than the cost of the VCT tile we had planned on using. The color was midnight blue, actually very close in color to the blue used on the airstreams! I love it. Picked it up an hour later and it is sitting in our garage. (Well... still in the back of the truck but will be in the garage.)
Anyone ever use this? Have any feedback on it?
Thanks,
Jennifer
Hi Jennifer, I'm always interested in interesting flooring options. Do you have any pictures of the product you're going to use?

Nice progress on the frame and floor, it gets better from here on.

Good Luck!
-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:35 AM   #100
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Chapin , South Carolina
The floor

Marcus,

Here are some pictures of what the flooring looks like. They are 13" square tiles that interlock. The first picture is the top surface and the second is the bottom. They should hold up to doggy nails and lots of abuse. We will need to account for expansion and shrinkage. It is a floating floor. More pictures to follow after installation.

Here is the website: Flooring Tiles: See How Our Flooring Tiles Are Installed

I've added some proof that Jenn is working on the windows.

Russ
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2192.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	99650   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2193.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	99651