Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1965 - 1969 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-11-2010, 05:24 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Damascus , Virginia
Starting Project

I just purchased a 68 overlander (90%) original with good sub-floor and updated plumbing. I am going to upgrade appliances, lighting, electrical system, flooring, swap twin beds on each side for a double on one, and generally replace all the old panels with new. I have already gutted the interior and saved everything that I considered to have any redeemable value as a template or in reuse. Any links to other threads or advice would be appreciated as this is my first camper remodel. Also, I have several parts available that as I am remodeling I am not interested in, if anyone is tyring to do a restore and need some special parts. I probably will enjoy fixing this thing up as much as I will enjoy using it - So bring on the advice -

dd
ddwyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 05:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Good luck with your project. Having a sound floor puts you way ahead of where most folks with 68 trailers started. My Tradewind needed extensive floor repair as well as black tank replacement. Check out the site below for good info on redoing an Overlander.

1967 Airstream Overlander
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 05:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddwyer View Post
I just purchased a 68 overlander (90%) original with good sub-floor and updated plumbing. I am going to upgrade appliances, lighting, electrical system, flooring, swap twin beds on each side for a double on one, and generally replace all the old panels with new. I have already gutted the interior and saved everything that I considered to have any redeemable value as a template or in reuse. Any links to other threads or advice would be appreciated as this is my first camper remodel. Also, I have several parts available that as I am remodeling I am not interested in, if anyone is tyring to do a restore and need some special parts. I probably will enjoy fixing this thing up as much as I will enjoy using it - So bring on the advice -

dd
dd.

The first major project is to waterproof the trailer.

Replace all the window, entrance door and access door gaskets.
For budgeting purposes, check the trailer for rear end separation, as well as the condition of the suspension system, including the condition of the brakes, and shocks.

How about body damage? The appliances you have already covered.

The axle info can be found in the Airstream Central portion of this Forums.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 05:37 PM   #4
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
While you are gutted, go ahead and do the tail end repair so that you will never have tail end sag. Trust me, better now than later.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 06:16 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:

dd
dd.

Before you start on the major repairs, make sure the trailer is weatherproofed, by checking all the exterior gaskets.

Next, prepare 2 budgets, one for your time, and the other for your money.

The appliances you already covered.

Next, check for rear end separation. If the trailer does or does not have it, there is a simple modification that can be made, to assure you that it will not happen in the future, by simply installing a couple of brackets, that have been previously outlined, in past posts.

Next, check out the suspension system. There is an article in the Airstream Central portion of this Forums, that would teach you how to do that.

Then, fire away with your questions, as many here can provide good answers.

Welcome to Airstreaming, well, moreso when the trailer is ready for you to enjoy on the road.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:46 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Damascus , Virginia
Ok. After reading all suggestions I spent several hours scanning threads and re-reviewing the condition of my trailer. I was initially really tweaked out that the back half of this thing was going to fall off after all my reading. But after reviewing I found the following:

From the front where the water tank is to the back (near the toilet flange), I strectched a string - there is zero deflection - eg the string touches the floor at all points at the same time.

I can jump up and down hard enough on the back bumper to lift the front jack off the ground with no stretching or gaps in the rear.

I removed the univolt and the plywood around the edges appears to be solid enough. and there is some semi new construction about the floor flange area leading me to beleive that some may have already done this rear separation deal.

However, the one spot where I was worried about the sub floor was right at the back at the access compartment and leading into the bath area, is totally messed up. I was going to leave the bathroom alone in my remodel - but now this appears to be impossible. It looks like about 8 square feet of plywood is rotten right in the middle - leading from the rear access panel into the bath.

Questions now are:
How hard is a bathroom remodel, should I just go ahead and gut it?
Is finding a new tub and sink that will fit in there possible?
Do I have to save all the old fiberglass panels to make everything work again?
Am i mistaken in assuming that I do not need to work on some tail separation problem?
Would anybody want a 1968 univolt that is in good working order?
ddwyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:59 AM   #7
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Am i mistaken in assuming that I do not need to work on some tail separation problem?
I suppose that is a matter of opinion. The design on the rear end is inherently flawed. One could take the position that if it aint broke, don't fix it.You may never have a problem. On the other hand, if you are tearing into the back end anyway, it seems to me that you might as well error on the side of prudence and make it right.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:50 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
many threads on bath/floor repair (a vertitable vintage rite of passage!)..

Pizzachop (no relation ;-) has a great one..

here's mine:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...air-38434.html
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote