Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2019, 01:52 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1957 22' Caravanner
1965 26' Overlander
appleton , Wisconsin
Searching for Overlander Rear Bath

Hi everyone. I bought a 1965 Overlander LY last year. The previous owner needed space for a queen bed. The solution was to remove the bathroom in the back and turn it into another bedroom. They removed the shower and toilet, tipped the cabinet on its side, and put a mattress on top of it. They basically made the lav cabinet the bed frame.

I would like to have a shower and toilet again. Any chance anyone knows a place to find one, have one, or are removing one? Do you have one squirrelled away that you don't have time to take to the dump? I am starting this thread in case somebody has one. If I ever get one or go another direction I will delete it.

My other option that I am toying with getting another one "for parts". Like that is a good idea. Then I will need a third one for parts and have another project.

Everyone likes pics. 1965 Overlander usable except no bathroom. 1957 Carravanner currently getting a shell off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	overlander.PNG
Views:	79
Size:	202.1 KB
ID:	336683   Click image for larger version

Name:	slvi.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	308.5 KB
ID:	336684  

Name:	overlander and LGT.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	196.3 KB
ID:	336685  
Old 03-27-2019, 07:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Judging by your vintage Airstreams and pickup, you like big projects. You probably know building a bath is a big project. That is what I would recommend. You can get ideas here on these Forums.

I think useable used parts for your 65 would be hard to find. Search the Classified here, and maybe post a parts wanted ad (free). You never know.

I had a 66 Trade Wind. Similar but different than your Overlander. The bath designs were very similar though. My toilet was broken, the rear subfloor was rotten, the bath tub was cracked, and the woefully inadequate black tank was, well inadequate. I decided to start over.

I repaired the subfloor, installed new waste water tanks, built a shower stall, a new vanity, a new medicine cabinet, a new small closet and on and on. Big project.

Here is a photo of the finished bath. It isn't spectacular, but it is functional and comfortable. I would give second thought to the shower. It works, but it is small. A bigger closet would have made more sense to me for that space. Maybe others will chime in.

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1507 Bath Layout (Small).jpg
Views:	72
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	336716  
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 08:41 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Battle Ground , Washington
Have you seen this post?

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f534...ed-190586.html

He's in Minneapolis so not too far away.

Our thread:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f97...er-172124.html
57Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 08:42 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1957 22' Caravanner
1965 26' Overlander
appleton , Wisconsin
Great advice.

I knew this would be a long shot but it was worth asking. I also figure that building from scratch would be the way to go. Don't flame me but I was looking for a short cut. I know there are none but who knows if I would get lucky.

Plus, there are also no guarantees that if I tried to put an original bath back in that it would just drop in place. I assume I would find some other "fixes" and custom engineering that would need to be redone.

You couldn't be more right that I love a big project. Fortunately I usually find a way to get them done and I don't have unfinished projects laying around. Unfinished is different than not started. I have plenty of those waiting in line but once started it gets done.

Here is another.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4098.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	336765  
Old 03-28-2019, 09:40 AM   #5

1963 22' Safari
Mather , CA
Hi, I have the tub and sink compo. Needs some work where the toilet sits. I can send you pictures if you send me your email address. My name is Victor and I'm at vcushing@matheraviation.com.
Vcushing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 06:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Actually the Overlander in the photo looks quite nice. Someone has done a lot of work to it, maybe including making a rear bedroom over the black tank.

I have a strong feeling you aren't the "easy way out" type. I'm sure you will figure out a way to make your Overlander just the way you want it. If you add a decent bath, it will be worth quite a bit more in my view.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 12:33 PM   #7
NO HUMBLE OPINION

1968 20' Globetrotter
ANN ARBOR , THE GREAT LAKES
1965 Overlander is a good choice.

I am a Vintage snob, focused on the Pre-'69 late sixties five segment end-cap trailers. This era is a great candidate for a “Keeper”. With a handyman's pallet of tools, you can build a way better than new trailer. I'd say that they're the easiest to rebuild. If I were to build another, it'd be a '68 Trade Wind.

Since few will notice the year-to-year difference…
My first restoration/preservation quality bath suggestion for your trailer without a bath would be the '67/'68 “Penthouse” (Airstream's official nomenclature). It's a half-dozen pieces of plastic. You'll need a '67/'68 Black tank, some new rear sub-floor, there's room in forward bays for a small grey tank with a 2” drain that can squeeze by the black tank and join with the dump valve, to drain from street-side within bumper box exactly like original layout. Water heater may require relocation.

After that, I'm looking at the '65-'68 Caravel wet-bath. It's a good size, and also found in the '65/'66 Globe Trotter.

Lastly, I'd scratch build a custom, ultralight bath. A fun project too.

Bathrooms are a lot of work. If Keeping the trailer, I would probably not consider the '64-'66 “Airline” bath and black tank configuration, although it would be the easiest, quickest, cheapest path to useable, especially if the black-tank remains functional, and secured in place. Then I'd sell it and find a dry '68 Overlander or Trade Wind to improve upon..

Finding the plastic bath will be a game of patience. An ad in Airforum Classifieds should work.

Dig in...
ALUMINUMINUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 01:01 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Will a 67 work?

Waiting to hear from the adjuster but I suspect my 67 Overlander may be totaled. If so, I may have an opportunity to buy it back from Progressive. Lots of new and vintage usable parts, including a mostly complete bathroom. Easiest thing for me would be to sell the whole thing to a restorer (as opposed to parting it out). Sad...
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 07:59 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1965 28' Ambassador
Rio Rancho , New Mexico
I have a bath, shower, toilet. Came out of my 65 Ambassador
JanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 03:39 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1965 28' Ambassador
Rio Rancho , New Mexico
I'm in New Mexico and have complete bath
JanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 04:28 PM   #11
Rivet Master

If memory is correct, the baths are the same from 1964-1966 for your larger trailers, Safari, T-wind, O-lander, A-Bass and Sov.

In 1967-1968, the bath layout is different, but would still work since those years had the same end-cap design.

If you are trying to use the original black-tank from your 65, the 67-68 will not work since the toilet was off to the right-side of the bath in those model years.