Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1965 - 1969 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-21-2019, 10:40 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Durham , North Carolina
Removing the toilet flange

I need some help in understanding how to remove the toilet flange that connects the black tank and the bottom of the toilet. I have removed the Thetford toilet which I do not think is the original one because it some type of lightweight plastic. It is a Thetford model 31648 Hi Hand Flush (image 1)

I have removed the screws from the metal ring that secures the flange to the floor. I can raise the flange about an 1/2 inch but it will not come completely out...can someone tell me how to get the flange out so I can proceed to drop the black tank. (image 2)

Also, do you know how the vent pipe is attached to the black tank...haven't gotten that far yet but will get there after I figure out the flange removal.

Thanks for any help/suggestions, ideas.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190721_120422.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	347247   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190721_120455.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	276.5 KB
ID:	347248  

goswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 11:04 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
If its a straight drop into tank you should be able to unscrew everything as one piece.
The tanks typically have threaded connections so in that case you should have a 3" male adapter or threaded pipe stub glued to the closet flange.

And, that 1/2" you are able to raise it is probably the tank flexing.

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 11:07 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Marion , New York
Most likely, it is screwed into the black tank. That's how mine was on my 70 Safari. Some previous owner had applied a lot of silicone to the threads making it very hard to unscrew. I had to make a tool that fit the notches in the plastic funnel of the flange to get enough leverage to turn it. My vent pipe was glued to a threaded fitting that screwed into the tank. I had to cut the pipe in order to unscrew the fitting from the tank.
DremStremer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 11:25 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Durham , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by DremStremer View Post
Most likely, it is screwed into the black tank. That's how mine was on my 70 Safari. Some previous owner had applied a lot of silicone to the threads making it very hard to unscrew. I had to make a tool that fit the notches in the plastic funnel of the flange to get enough leverage to turn it. My vent pipe was glued to a threaded fitting that screwed into the tank. I had to cut the pipe in order to unscrew the fitting from the tank.
Thank you for your reply...you are correct that it is screwed into the tank and with a lot of effort I managed to get it out. Were you able to to get to the vent pipe connection prior to dropping the holding tank?
goswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 12:32 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Marion , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by goswick View Post
Thank you for your reply...you are correct that it is screwed into the tank and with a lot of effort I managed to get it out. Were you able to to get to the vent pipe connection prior to dropping the holding tank?
My holding tank is above the floor. I was able to access the vent pipe when I removed a cabinet. Then I cut the pipe above the threaded fitting and was able to pull out the holding tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0916.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	276.7 KB
ID:	347258  
DremStremer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:21 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
1961 28' Ambassador
1968 26' Overlander
Lakewood , Colorado
Hi, I also have a 68 O'lander, just dropped my black tank a few weeks back. The vent pipe is visible through your rear hatch, more to the curb side, sliding into a sleeve that is part of the tank and with (hopefully) a hose clamp around it. Mine didn't have a clamp and the pipe slid right out.
Hope that helps, gravity is your friend...

Mark D
mrdes8 is offline   Reply With Quote