Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1965 - 1969 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-29-2008, 10:32 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
Rainy weekend? Interior or tool shopping?

It's finally drizzling in Maryland. Of course, it's the Friday before a three-day weekend... why wouldn't it be raining? I found a better Sears/Craftsman store nearby... it could be a weekend of organizing some things in my micro-garage, but that would suggest purchasing a new tool box. And if I'm buying a tool box, it makes sense to replace my compressor and pick up a few new air tools. Of course, I could finish tearing out the carpet and start removing some interior cabinetry... although I don't really want to store it until the garage is a bit better organized. The key strategy... carefully avoid the house where my wife will want help cleaning because her brother is visiting next weekend.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 10:36 AM   #2
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Think big, do both.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 09:21 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
It's a nice thought, Rodney, but I think my daughter is expecting some assistance with college. It looks like Labor Day sales are in full swing. I think I can manage a new tool box and get better organized. I'm leaning towards a DeWalt compressor. They have a 15 gallon model that looks fine for rivets, light impact wrench work, etc. The Cyclo is electric so I don't have to worry about buying the monster mega-CFM unit... yet. I still have a bit of work to do before we pour the slab for the parking spot... nothing like a little rain to make that work more pleasurable.
Old 08-30-2008, 12:08 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Just left that mess!

hamp -

Just left that mess of weather you had on our way west ( 1330 depart on the way to Indiana ) and the weather here is SPECTACULAR!!! and headed your way.... so get that planning into FULL SWING! You have a terrific weekend weather headed toward you so get started early and likely you'll get it all in... or not. YMMV.

Wishing you and all a terrific Labor Day Weekend!

Ciao

Axel
SilverToy
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 08:40 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
San Diego , California
It's always fun to go buy tools. If you are going to purchase a compressor that is stationary you might think about one with a larger tank. The small tanks kick on all the time, makes alot of noise. With the stationary larger tank you just need a longer hose. long hose is not a bad thing. Also N.VA. & Maryland are my old stomping grounds. Have fun.
Sixty3TW4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 09:41 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
Well, the weather waited until today. Yesterday was overcast, muggy with a few thunderstorms. I managed to sneak in a run to pick up a few tools... despite the jungle climate. The new compressor is a tidy 15g Dewalt. I also picked up a new rolling stainless steel tool box to get better organized.

I dropped the u-bolts on the WD hitch by simply cutting them with an air wheel. The corrosion under the spacer plates was ugly with serious pitting. So, I managed to wire wheel the tongue down to mostly bare metal between downpours.

The weather improved today, but I had to play "driver" for my wife and daughter. Everybody needed to be somewhere else. During a few "breaks," I popped off the access panel to look at the wiring. Note: On a 1967 anything, nothing is easy. I managed to get a good look at the wiring... not pretty. The thin wires to the tail lights (green) were bare in a number of places. Not much I can do now except patch what I can and put in a new 7-way connector. Of course, you can't put in a connector without getting the tongue shipshape so....

I degreased the tongue with MarineClean (that stuff works). I then did the Metal Ready step, rinsed, and used the air gun to "quick dry." So, it was time to shoot a couple of coats of the dreaded POR-15. Actually, the material went on reasonably well. I shot a coat, cleaned everything, waiting the appropriate time, and shot a second coat. The tongue is ready for primer and paint. Weather permitting, I'll hit the tongue with primer in the a.m. and then paint it in the afternoon. So, what to do about paint? Well, I was picking up a few other things at Tractor Supply and noticed that they had some high quality tractor and implement paint. The "Ford Gray" looks like it will work well enough. If not, there's always "John Deere green."

I'll use the hardener and probably shoot a couple of coats. This is the tongue, after all, and it's going to take some abuse. I've painted my share of farm and logging equipment. I figure the implement paint will probably hold up reasonably well.

Once the paint is dry and cures a bit, I'll toss in a seven-pin connector and lash up the wiring. There's some kind of black gunk they used as a sealer for the access panel. I'm leaning towards fabbing a new panel and using some kind of non-gooey seal. I wanted to paint the tongue because the rust was a bit depressing... and because I want to work my way "back" from the power to the lights. The connection plug and wiring harness looked OEM (with some mods). It was stiff and the connections within the access panel were "suboptimal." I figure with a new connection, I'll be getting good power to the first "splice." If I make all new connections with a bit of overkill solder, I should be able to pull lights and isolate problem either at the light (most likely grounding) or in the wiring (most likely a real pain in the rear).

The hitch jack is off (naturally) and I'm leaning towards a new one... though I think I'd be as happy with just manual rather than power. Call me sentimental (or judt dumb), but cranking a hitch reminds me of our horse trailers as a kid.

Other notes... the rain resulted in dampness inside the door. I guess ordering a door gasket is high priority... although Heaven knows if that's where the water is coming in. I'm still thinking about axles. I'm going to pull the hubs, repack the bearings and see if there is any hope for working brakes. Our current plan is to find a shop to do the frame and floor. We may have them do a bit more, depending on far the nickel goes. Of course, the tin girl has to be roadworthy because everything is somewhere else. Once she stripped out on the inside, I think I could ease her along on the current axles... or I could put in a pair myself and pay the shop to take them off and put them back on. Ah, well, sufficient unto each day....