Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1965 - 1969 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-29-2008, 10:36 AM   #1
Hilandr451

1965 26' Overlander
Houston , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Hilandr451
pop-up Roof Vents

I have an Overlander that is in pretty good shape. We are the 3rd owners. We purchased it from a friend in June of 2005 for $3500.00 and couldn't have been happier since the trailer was in such good condition bing preserved in the Mojave desert for the past 30 years with aluminum foil on all of the windows.

The only major damage was to the exterior. As you can imagine the glazing on all of the windows is breaking down, and the ferring for the AC has been ripped from it's attachments and is completely missing along with the pop-up roof vent over the front dining area. A previous owner had fashoned a vent cover from sheet aluminum and a block of wood. This worked pretty good in the desert, but we live in Northern California now where the rainfall is considerably greater than the Mojave desert.

I noticed that the crank mechanisms to open and close the vents are all broken and need to be replaced as well. Can these parts still be found? does anybody know where I could look for replacements? Or is a re-designed alternative available? I did find a ferring for the AC a few years back for $375.00. Right now we have to drape a tarp over the middle of the trailer to keep the water out in the rainy season (so the pristine original floors won't get damaged).
Hilandr451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 11:30 AM   #2
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Sounds like a great find and a good price based on your description. Can you post a picture or two of the roof vents and opening including the broken lifters? These have changed over the years and I'm not for sure when those changes occurred. A pic or two would help.

Congrats on your new-to-you baby.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 11:42 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Try Inland RV, Andy is here and so is Vintage trailer supply.

here are the web sites

Vintage Trailer Supply - Vintage travel trailer parts and supplies!
Inland RV Center Inc.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 04:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I tried to get the crank assemblies for my 91 several years ago. Sent Jackson a picture and Airstream claimed they NEVER used such a thing and I must have installed them.

If the gear is stripped, like mine were, you can drill the rivets out and rotate the gear 180 degrees. The crank only uses less than half of the travel of the gear. Just make sure you lub the gear before reassembly and you will most likely get as much or more than the original life out of the rebuild.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 07:07 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilandr451 View Post
I have an Overlander that is in pretty good shape. We are the 3rd owners. We purchased it from a friend in June of 2005 for $3500.00 and couldn't have been happier since the trailer was in such good condition bing preserved in the Mojave desert for the past 30 years with aluminum foil on all of the windows.

The only major damage was to the exterior. As you can imagine the glazing on all of the windows is breaking down, and the ferring for the AC has been ripped from it's attachments and is completely missing along with the pop-up roof vent over the front dining area. A previous owner had fashoned a vent cover from sheet aluminum and a block of wood. This worked pretty good in the desert, but we live in Northern California now where the rainfall is considerably greater than the Mojave desert.

I noticed that the crank mechanisms to open and close the vents are all broken and need to be replaced as well. Can these parts still be found? does anybody know where I could look for replacements? Or is a re-designed alternative available? I did find a ferring for the AC a few years back for $375.00. Right now we have to drape a tarp over the middle of the trailer to keep the water out in the rainy season (so the pristine original floors won't get damaged).
We have those vent operators machined.

Check out our part number 72377.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote