Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1965 - 1969 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-30-2010, 11:12 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Scottsdale , Southwest
Overlander Gaucho pics

My husband and I own a 65 Overlander that is equipped with the front sideboard. We love how it looks however isn't as practical for us as it used to be. We are considering removing it and replacing it with a gaucho. My question is does the gaucho make into a full size bed? Where would I find a frame for one? Can someone share a picutre of what it looks like also our fresh water drain valve is in our sideboard how is this accessed if there is a gaucho. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks.
NicheVintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Not a full size.

I removed the gaucho from my Argosy. It did not pull out to a full size bed, only about 42"x76"; a standard double bed is 54" wide by 80" long. The other thing is, I did not find it comfortable to sit on let alone sleep on.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 03:53 PM   #3
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
I can assure you that the 5 inch foam on our gaucho isn't exactly comfortable. We have the double gaucho overlander. To be fair, I am the only one out of the four of us that has issues. We are currently looking into option on how to make it more comfortable. I would also if you are planning on using it nightly think about making and unmaking the bed. Something we have to EVERY day.

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
https://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Comfort!

Our Argosy has twin beds. I made slide out boards that go over the gap between the beds. We have one of those blow up air mattress'; Almost as comfortable as the bed at home. Still have to break down the bed everyday.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:42 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Scottsdale , Southwest
Thanks for the picture. This helps a lot. Tg Twinkie do you have any pictures of the slides? Also what size blow up mattress do you use? Thanks again.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:43 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Scottsdale , Southwest
Rebelstand... How do you access your fresh water tank drain valve? Is it located elsewhere?

Thanks
Old 12-31-2010, 12:08 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Slides?

Do you mean the boards I slide out over the aisle way? We use a queen size air mattress.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:48 AM   #8
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicheVintage View Post
Rebelstand... How do you access your fresh water tank drain valve? Is it located elsewhere?

Thanks
According to my husband, our fresh water tank valve is located under our galley. Our rear gaucho is located over the wheel well and the exterior access/service door(storage). The Front gaucho is located under the front windows and just has storage under it.

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
https://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:52 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Scottsdale , Southwest
Our twin beds have a trim piece of wood on them about 3 inches or so tall. So I was curious how you made yours work. Rebelstand thanks for the help. If we go end up installing a gaucho I would want to re cover the whole thing maybe we can find something soft / comfortable to use for the fold out?

Happy new year!
Old 01-01-2011, 02:42 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
The trim piece on our beds is only about 3/4" to 1" tall. I cut a datto in the boards that slip over the trim piece on each side. Keeping the boards (2 boards about 3' long and 3" wider than the aisle) in place. The center of the bed where the boards are over the aisle is about 3/4"-1" higher; we usually throw a couple of old blankets over the wood and sharp edges so that the air mattress isn't punctured by anything sharp. With the air mattress you don't feel any difference in the height.
If the 3" high edges are strong enough to support your weight and that of the boards and you have foam pads on the beds now; I would leave the foam pads in place, put the boards across the aisle, throw an old blanket across the whole thing and put the air mattress on top.
With the aisle way blocked by the bed it means climbing out of bed to get to the head or into the galley. But it's worth it to me to sleep next to my wife and be in a bed that is more than 48" wide. And since the whole berthing area becomes a bed, you can sleep with your head in any direction that is comfortable.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:48 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I'm guessing you already have a dinette. All my trailer had was that goofy table that folded out from the side wall in front of the gaucho. when you sat on the gaucho, your chin was about 3" above the table.
I tore the gaucho out and built a dinette that converts into a bed, but it is only 42"x76" when it is in the bed mode. Here is what it looks like; of course the table goes down to make it into a bed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dinette.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	118461  
Old 01-28-2011, 12:12 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Scottsdale , Southwest
TG - Nope no dinette. All we have is the side board which I guess was an option.

I do think I have come up with a solution. I am thinking about finding something like this but vintage of course. UrbanOutfitters.com > Mid-Century Sofa - Black Fleck,

or

Mid-Century Modern Upholstered Sofa/Daybed (3585)R - eBay (item 380279636368 end time Feb-13-11 06:45:10 PST)

or

Case Study Day Bed - Design Within Reach

This way we could have a comfy place to relax that doubles as a guest bed and not have to loose our original sideboard that I love.

Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03822.JPG
Views:	242
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	120292