Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2008, 01:56 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Smile Now the neighbors really think we're crazy

We just bought a 66 overlander this afternoon . Trailer has been gutted, floor replaced, and electrical rerun. As far as we can account, all major parts are present for restoration/reinstallation. Can't pick it up until the 11th since I'll be leaving tomorrow morning with 100 high school kids to take to camp for a week. Also have to find a place to store it, because our single lane driveway can't handle 2 airstreams.
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 10:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Congratulations on the new addition. I have found it is always good to keep the neighbors guessing. One trick is to wear different shoes on each foot now and then. Another is talking to myself, complete with all the hand actions, and particularly a heated debate (where I lose). And then, of course, there is the really good one - buy a second travel trailer while still having the first and intending to keep both. That REALLY gets them thinking

Barry
Old 08-03-2008, 11:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Congrats on the new trialer...keep those neighbors guessing, I always say...it keeps them on their toes and it also keeps them watching your house...never a bad thing...(assuming they'll do something is they see someone there who shouldn't be)...
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair & PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 11:48 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

66 overlander

Congradulations on acquiring another project. I am into year 3 on restoration of the same model. Mine was a well worn time capsule with everthing still original but unused for a bunch of years. Rotted floors, leaks, mildew, and rat droppings everywhere. I have just started exterior polishing with the inside now being 90% done. I figured it would be about a 6 month project --- boy was I star struck or rather dumb struck!!!
If you need any period correct pieces for the fridge or hot water tank, I have 'em and I am close... in Victoria BC. Good luck - James
technautica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 10:44 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
We're headed tomorrow to go pick up NWOverlander's 66 Overlander to take on the project. He was going completely custom inside, we want to go more original, with some basic cabinet modifications. He's removed all the aluminum wiring and old insulation, replaced a lot of plywood, and has all interior skins, end caps, and bathroom completely removed (so most of the dirty work is done). I was looking around (rather unsuccesfully) to see if someone has restored a 66 and has any detail pictures so I can figure out original placement for pipes, wires, cabinets, appliance lines etc.

While we collect up all the removed parts from his shop with it, I'd like to make a checklist of what we have and what might be missing. Technautica do you or does anyone else have some detailed pictures of the 66 bathroom so we make sure we have everything, and a good idea how it goes back together? The floor plan has the mid bed on street side, cabinet on the curbside so we can can piece it back together as close as possible. I based that on the window locations and fridge and range hood vent locations. I've checked several google searches as well as vintageairstream's archives, but can't seem to get clear photos of the midsection back.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:04 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Aluminum wiring?

Did you say aluminum wiring? During what years did Airstream use aluminum wiring? It's important to use receptacles and switches rated for aluminum wiring if this is the case.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 11:16 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Our 69 is all copper, so I would imagine they were done using it by that time. Sure someone here knows all the years.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:10 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

I can send you photos of bathroom together and apart. Your layout sounds like the same as mine with midships hanging locker with dresser counter on sidewalk side opposite . I also have original documents that came with trailer that shows plan layout. If you send your email address I will send directly to you.
James
technautica is offline   Reply With Quote