Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1965 - 1969 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-10-2014, 01:47 PM   #1
JRS

1969 27' Overlander
Windsor , Colorado
Newbie - Showin' off the small things

Hi All! I just picked up an ALL 100% ORIGINAL (down to the propane tanks) 1969 Land Yacht. I am in the process of bringing her up to being usable interior wise - outside she's in good shape. I am new to trailers in general and cutting my teeth on an antique airstream. I haven;t quite figured out if that is a good or a bad thing.

Anyway, I will be putting screens in this weekend as there aren't any in there currently. Looks like the screens go in with the beading and a tool - piece of cake. But as I looked at it, I noticed that the window levers have gaping oval holes open to the outside. Mine has some glue residue around each of these holes which looks like there was something there originally, however, I can't seem to find any indication of what that may have been through my interwebs searching. I have seen screens that cover these levers, but they don't appear to be original. So, I started looking at making my own alternative.

I got a hold of a few sheets of acrylic, some door sweep refills, and a laser cutter. I made this in 3 layers - sandwiched together, and eventually screwed into place and held internally with some industrial double faced tape. I suppose it won't have to be this thick, but I wanted it to be rigid. This is just a prototype. I will fit it up this weekend and make sure it will fit.

I have decided that my theme for the Airstream will be silver and red - therefore, the production piece will be made of translucent red acrylic with the silver "brush" pattern showing - so you won't see the brush bar. I will also be removing the arms for the windows, sand blasting them down, and probably powder coating them silver as well - or red, I don't know yet. I will have to do some experimenting.

Anyway, I am sure I will be tapping this community for information once I get going on the rest of the project. Right now, I know I will need new fresh water tanks, and basically a whole new kitchen area - since the fridge doesn't work, and I can't test the heat with the 1969 tanks on there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 46.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	224045   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 49.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	224046  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 47.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	224047  
JRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 05:21 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Wow, your window lever slot covers sure look neat. Airstream used this type of slot cover for years, and most of us find the "sweeps" worn out, or the plastic trim broken up. Heck, you may even generate some interest from others wanting to replace this piece of trim in their Airstream.

Laser cutter? That ain't a tool that is in more peoples' garage! Powder coat? Most of use use rattle cans.

Welcome to the hobby of vintage Airstream renovations, or restorations. Most of these old trailers have lots of needs. The Overlander is a popular model. You have the length to build a comfortable traveler.

I think you will find these Forums helpful when you have a question. Likewise, you these Forums to post nifty solutions to problems as you invent them.

The Airstream Knowledge Base > Trailer Forums > Overlander is a good place to learn more about your specific model the the adventures of rebuilding one. This is located toward the bottom of the home page.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 05:32 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Hi JRS, & welcome! Great find on the '69! That's a pretty slick solution for the crank slots....way out of my league! Your propane tanks are most likely aluminum, so don't do anything rash (like pitch them). You can get the fittings on top changed out to current ones at most propane companies. Great project....keep the pictures coming!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 07:09 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1989 34' Limited
long beach , Mississippi
welcome to the forum.
you did some nice work on those covers.. could you provide more detail on how you made those ? you might can do some custom work for a bunch of folks on here :-)

Resurrecting one Airstream at the time..
maybe one day i save them all
submariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 06:44 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
1969 27' Overlander
sacramento , California
Hi ,congrats on your new acquisition, I also have one & unfortunately found rot in the floors am doing repairs but any way I'm changing the floor plan & have a tank available & some other parts depending on which way I go .I,m changing the layout from the double to the twin beds so I'll have the wardrobe & vanity available & iwant tochange the goucho to the dinette in the front,which intails changing the water tank .Havent intirely made up my mind which way I,m going with the front ,but can let you know.If you make a list of what your looking for I can see if I have anything for you.Ian
colin57 is offline   Reply With Quote