Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1965 - 1969 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-26-2006, 05:43 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1995 30' Excella
Chewelah , Washington
Need battery hook up info

Hi, this Overlander came with no battery, and from the wires can't tell which end to hook up to what pole on the battery. Has one wire that goes to the inverter, or what ever that is with all the fuses in the back and the other one looks like it has three wires comming from the front, would hate to hook it up backwards and fry everything, then this inexpensive trailer would not be so inexpensive. Do they plug into 220 volt, or just 110. mine has a plug adapter on it to plug into 110. The adapter looks like might plug into a 220 plug of some kind. Think I have found a window, single pane, but there is a double pane out there 75-79 that looks like might also fit . Anybody know about this. Same dimensions outside, just double and tinted.
First ever travel trailer, so don't know much about them, other than Airstream makes them to last and they don't look outdated in a couple years. Anybody know how many made in 1969? Actually was looking for a tent trailer and this one just sort of popped up and said look at me.
gmshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 05:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
gmshadow,

The polarity of the battery should be the same as your tow vehicle. Most are negative ground, but in the "old days" it was the dealers responsibility to make sure the trailer and the car matched polarity.

The funny adapter is actually 120Vac, just has a different arrangement (called NEMA TT-30) of blades.

The thing that the battery is wired to is a converter, which is a 120Vac to 12VDC converter to power the 12 volt stuff and recharge the battery.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 06:00 PM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Battery polarity should not be too tough to figure out.
1. Battery terminals are not the same size, the cable ends should match the ends.
2. Use an ohm meter to see which wire has 0 Ohms (short) to the trailer frame, that would be the negative.
3. Plug it into AC power and use a volt meter to read the cable ends. Use that polarity with the battery.

The trailer plugs into 110 volts. The plug is most likely a 30 amp RV plug and should look alot like this:

You can use the 15 amp adapter for most things. If you have air conditioning you should use 30 amp service.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 06:36 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
If you have a functioning charge line from your tow vehicle, you can hook up your tow vehicle to your coach, and check polarity with a voltmeter. That way you won;t fry your trailer's electronics. Obviously, the converter line hooks to the positive terminal of your battery.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:28 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1995 30' Excella
Chewelah , Washington
Thanks, had not thought of checking with an ohm meter to see what side was ground, and I should have known that. getting old I guess. Part of the problem was it does not have regular heavy cable, and probably should have. I just have about 12 , maybe 10 gage wire with regular ring terminals on each end. Had thought there should have been regular battery terminals. and maybe little heavier wire, like about 2 0r 4 for 12 volt, my antique car uses 00 for battery cables
Old 06-27-2006, 06:14 AM   #6
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
There is no need for big cables, unless you have a starter motor somewhere in your trailer. Use #6 wire and a fuse or circuit breaker sized appropriately.

The big cables on your antique car were common, especially if it originally came with 6 volt wiring.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 10:09 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1995 30' Excella
Chewelah , Washington
Well guess what, my ohm meter says both sides are gounded! so no help there. Im guessing the positive wire is the one that goes direct to the inverter. and the 3 wires are variouse grounds, as can't follow them to see just where they go. Connects to a negative ground vehicle.