Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2009, 05:05 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Pensacola , Florida
Introducing 'Aquarius'

We are the proud owners of a '66 Overlander International, nicknamed "Aquarius". Ours has the twin beds towards the back and the 3-burner stove is to the left of the sink. We're figuring her out now and getting her road worthy for an extended adventure out west with our 3 kids (ages 11, 9, and 6) and one large dog. We are completely new to all this and have no idea what we're doing. Tomorrow we're taking her in to a guy who has been recommended to us for wheel re-packing and general overhaul.

We have a few issues to sort out:

1) Need an elegant solution for a tail light replacement

2) Not sure why she gives us a shock if we touch the skin, when she is plugged in, probably ought to sort that out.

3) We'd like an awning, there is a groove but no arms. What kind of awning should we get and how does that work?

What else? Advice welcomed and appreciated. I'm having fun with the decorating and leaving all the heavy stuff to my hubby.

Lisa (formerly of Pensacola Florida soon of the great American highways)
yankeemomto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:13 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
old mystic , Connecticut
Congratulations on your find. We too are heading out west this summer with our 2 oldest grandkids, 9 and 11. We have no time schedule except that we are leaving July 11 and we'll get back when we get back!

Post some pictures so we can see what she looks like.

Annette
bullydogsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeemomto3 View Post
We are the proud owners of a '66 Overlander International, nicknamed "Aquarius". Ours has the twin beds towards the back and the 3-burner stove is to the left of the sink. We're figuring her out now and getting her road worthy for an extended adventure out west with our 3 kids (ages 11, 9, and 6) and one large dog. We are completely new to all this and have no idea what we're doing. Tomorrow we're taking her in to a guy who has been recommended to us for wheel re-packing and general overhaul.

We have a few issues to sort out:

1) Need an elegant solution for a tail light replacement

2) Not sure why she gives us a shock if we touch the skin, when she is plugged in, probably ought to sort that out.

3) We'd like an awning, there is a groove but no arms. What kind of awning should we get and how does that work?

What else? Advice welcomed and appreciated. I'm having fun with the decorating and leaving all the heavy stuff to my hubby.

Lisa (formerly of Pensacola Florida soon of the great American highways)
Your being shocked because the polarity of the city power is improperly reversed, either withing the trailer or from the source of the power.

Zip Dee awnings are the best, but they also are the most expensive, but by far, they last the longest.

Check out all the exterior gaskets. Keeping the interior dry, is the key.

Have someone check the coach for LPG leaks, and the condition of the appliances, especially the furnace. Simply working, does not mean it's ok.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:06 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Aaaaaaaah, the thrill and excitement of planning/decorating/getting on the road!! Have a great time.

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚
Lily&Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:37 AM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome from Walton County

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. We are in Santa Rosa Beach, about 50 miles east of you.

Best of luck in getting your issues resolved. You have found the place for all of the information that you will need to get your Airstream road ready.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:07 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Lucky YOU! Wish I could get on the road - for an extended period that is.

I bought my A/S last year and have found plenty of things needing some attention. First order was a thorough cleaning - not that it wasn't clean - but I just wanted to wipe down all the surfaces! Then I replaced the window screens as the rubber splines were worn. The axles were, by far, my largest item. Since then, I found that the univolt charger/converter was missing (replaced by an auto charger) and I would like to replace it with a new one. Right now I'm focusing on making Ophelia water-tight. I am removing a lot of the old sealants and replacing with correct ones (lots of scraping and expletives) and also replacing all the old window, door, compartment and vent gaskets. It's slow work! I also painted the interior - more work than I anticipated. The fun stuff was new drapes and upholstery. Hope you all have fun getting her ready for your trip!
Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:16 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Pensacola , Florida
Follow our Airstream Adventure on my Blog

Thanks for all the great feedback. We have now camped in Aquarius at two Airstream only parks. Mystic Springs Cove and Top of Georgia. The former was just lovely and the latter o.k. (we got there after a harrowing journey through lightning, hail, and tornado warnings so maybe we'll like it better next time).

Currently we're making the final preparations for the trip out west.

Ben at Ben's R.V. Service outside of Jacksonville FL was great and really took good care of us (much as we expected from one retired Navy guy to another). Furthermore, his prices are low. We now have functional tail-lights (functional but not beautiful - Ben is not an artist), a new Dometic propane/A.C. fridge, and freshly packed wheel bearings. Andy was right about the power issue. That was easy. Not getting an awning for now making do with a free standing canopy thing ($60 from Academy Sports).

Hubby is now replacing the converter and some other little stuff. That leaves me with the fun stuff as Laura said, curtains etc. I'll be posting photos and details of our trip at my new blog:

On the Road in Aquarius

Lisa
yankeemomto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 05:49 AM   #8
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Hopefully Andy will follow the link to your blog and have a look at your axles. I'd say they aren't shot, but will need replacing down the road before too long. He would know much better than I do though. If you go to his web site you can get the details and judge for yourself. The axles last about 20 years or so and your trailer is 40+ years old so they may have been replaced once already. Since you can see some of the black wall above the rim I'd say they aren't completely shot yet. But, that era trailer may have had higher wheel well openings. Something I don't know. Ask InlandAndy. That's the issue with vintage units...if it's not one thing, it's another. But, they are like vintage automobiles, there is nothing like them.

Good luck and keep us updated on the trip.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:50 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Biloxi , Mississippi
Congrats on the retirement and traveling the country. I plan on doing that when I retire also, but that's about 8 years away.

'75 31ft Airstream Sovereign

Come check out my restoration progress:
https://crazycorpsman-silverbullet.blogspot.com/
CrzyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:07 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeemomto3 View Post
Thanks for all the great feedback. We have now camped in Aquarius at two Airstream only parks. Mystic Springs Cove and Top of Georgia. The former was just lovely and the latter o.k. (we got there after a harrowing journey through lightning, hail, and tornado warnings so maybe we'll like it better next time).

Currently we're making the final preparations for the trip out west.

Ben at Ben's R.V. Service outside of Jacksonville FL was great and really took good care of us (much as we expected from one retired Navy guy to another). Furthermore, his prices are low. We now have functional tail-lights (functional but not beautiful - Ben is not an artist), a new Dometic propane/A.C. fridge, and freshly packed wheel bearings. Andy was right about the power issue. That was easy. Not getting an awning for now making do with a free standing canopy thing ($60 from Academy Sports).

Hubby is now replacing the converter and some other little stuff. That leaves me with the fun stuff as Laura said, curtains etc. I'll be posting photos and details of our trip at my new blog:

On the Road in Aquarius

Lisa
Lisa.

Based on the photo in your blog, it appears that the axles are borderline.

I will PM an article to you that will help you check out your axles in 30 seconds.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote