Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1965 - 1969 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-02-2008, 10:27 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

(Inland RV) Installing new rear glass, 67' overlander questions

We got your glass a couple of days ago and I spent this evening prepping the window channel for the glass. The directions and info on the list state double sided sticky tape is the best way to fasten the glass to the aluminium channel, I don't see how this is possible with the extra thickness of this replacement glass. Even after I true up the channel with the provided drill bit the glass bearly fits. I might have 1/64th play, maybe less play in the channel with the glass in place. There isn't enough room for one strip of 1/16th thick tape let alone the two strips that are suggested.

How do you manage to get the glass with tape in the channel without the tape being scraped off?
bvanetten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 06:40 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvanetten View Post
We got your glass a couple of days ago and I spent this evening prepping the window channel for the glass. The directions and info on the list state double sided sticky tape is the best way to fasten the glass to the aluminium channel, I don't see how this is possible with the extra thickness of this replacement glass. Even after I true up the channel with the provided drill bit the glass bearly fits. I might have 1/64th play, maybe less play in the channel with the glass in place. There isn't enough room for one strip of 1/16th thick tape let alone the two strips that are suggested.

How do you manage to get the glass with tape in the channel without the tape being scraped off?
You must open the hinge, which you can do on a 67 and 68 window. Then there is plenty of room to use the double sided tape.

If you have a 1966, you can only install the glass with clear silicone sealer.

I know the heading says 67, but if you cannot open the hinge, then it must be a 66.

Your profile does not list your trailer year or length.

Many can help you in the future, if you added that info to your profile. It's difficult to answer many questions, without knowing the exact trailer that you have.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 07:50 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Actually, they did list the length- 67'!!! I would imagine it is difficult just getting to the rear window, never mind replacing it...
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 08:24 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Thompsons Station , Tennessee

I have a '67 Caravel and I replaced the rear window last weekend w/ one that I ordered from Inland RV. Like Andy said, if it is a '67, it should have the "field serviceable" hinge that comes apart after you remove the set screws from the inside. It is tough to break the seal from the existing window (or plexi), but once it is broken it should come apart.

I couldn't find 1/8" thick double sided tape that is called for in the instructions that Andy's sent with the window, I could only find 1/16" thick. So I doubled it up and it worked great.

One interesting thing. 4 out of 5 of my windows have the field serviceable hinge. The 5th has what looks to be an older style that will require me to use the drill bit and sealant procedure. Funny how Airstream has those little surprises for you....
modarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 08:42 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

I listed length and model in the title of the post. 67' is short for 1967.

Anyhow, the glass bar is removed from the trailer and prepped for the glass. I used the 9/64th" (tphan, I'm referring to bit length here... sorry, couldn't help it the smart azz in me wins most of the time!) drill bit to true up and open up the channel for the glass to fit (as per the instructions). I thought about spreading open the channel to fit the glass and tape but I couldn't fine any posts that did this and I'm was hesitant to do this to aluminum due to it's brittleness. I'm not going to ruin this glass bar, it's almost irreplaceable. Now I'll spread open the channel if everyone agrees that it wont weaken the channel.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:45 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Modarch, it's a 67 and the hinge is the one with set screws that is field serviceable. I will take pics of the glass bar, the glass, and both put together.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:55 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Modarch, it's a 67 and the hinge is the one with set screws that is field serviceable. I will take pics of the glass bar, the glass, and both put together.
If you remove the screws from the inside, half of the hinge will totally separate from the window frame, which in turn, allows a greater thickness than just the glass to be installed.

Double sided tape, compresses very well.

Andy
Old 08-03-2008, 09:17 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

bvanetten/window bar - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Old 08-03-2008, 09:30 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Modarch, I miss spoke. It is not a "field serviceable" like a type 3. What I ment is the part of the hinge that the glass fits into, the glass bar is removable from the trailer. A type 2.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:36 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Unfortunately, your photo shows that you have a 66 hinge.

All you can do is open up the hinge with the drill bit we sent to you, and install the glass with clear silicone sealer, just as Airstream originally did with that hinge.

True 67 and 68 hinges, separate, which allows the use of the double sided tape.

Andy
Old 08-03-2008, 10:02 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Ok, I think I have figured out what confused me. Most posts refer to 66, 67, and 68 hinges. This is where the confusion starts. We should probably refer to these hinges not with year but type. Type 1, 2, and 3. It sounds like type 1 and 2 require the use of silicone and type 3 can use tape.

66 year trailers can have type 1 or a type 2 hinge. 67's can have type 2, or 3 depending on the time of year they were made. And all 68's have the type 3 hinge.

It gets worse. type 1 hinges require silicone and the window has to be set with the hinge still on the trailer. Type 2 hinges also require silicone but you are able to remove the glass bar portion of the hinge from the trailer to set the glass in your garage or wherever. Type 3 hinges, like type 1 hinges are not removed from the trailer to replace the glass but... the glass bar on a type 3 is two pieces that seperate to allow the new glass to be installed. The removable piece of the hinge is then reinstalled and it squeezes the glass to hold it.

From reading posts I was under the assumption that type 2 hinges because they were removable could use the tape. I now realize the difference between removable and dismantable. Whereas type 2 can be removed from the trailer they still require silicone, type 3 are not removable but they seperate to allow the glass to be replaced with less headache and more securely with tape.

Do I have this right?
Old 08-03-2008, 10:15 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Aha! found it! This is the post that confused me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank
Ok, that's the story. Please let me know your ideas!!

Lynn

PS: This is only the first of the problems we had with the Airstream on this trip! I'll explain others in separate posts.

Lynn.

1966 windows are held in place with "silicone sealer."

1967 and 1968 windows are held in place with "double sided" tape.

Andy
Old 08-03-2008, 10:19 AM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Ok, I think I have figured out what confused me. Most posts refer to 66, 67, and 68 hinges. This is where the confusion starts. We should probably refer to these hinges not with year but type. Type 1, 2, and 3. It sounds like type 1 and 2 require the use of silicone and type 3 can use tape.

66 year trailers can have type 1 or a type 2 hinge. 67's can have type 2, or 3 depending on the time of year they were made. And all 68's have the type 3 hinge.

It gets worse. type 1 hinges require silicone and the window has to be set with the hinge still on the trailer. Type 2 hinges also require silicone but you are able to remove the glass bar portion of the hinge from the trailer to set the glass in your garage or wherever. Type 3 hinges, like type 1 hinges are not removed from the trailer to replace the glass but... the glass bar on a type 3 is two pieces that seperate to allow the new glass to be installed. The removable piece of the hinge is then reinstalled and it squeezes the glass to hold it.

From reading posts I was under the assumption that type 2 hinges because they were removable could use the tape. I now realize the difference between removable and dismantable. Whereas type 2 can be removed from the trailer they still require silicone, type 3 are not removable but they seperate to allow the glass to be replaced with less headache and more securely with tape.

Do I have this right?
Not quite.

The 67 and 68 hinges, do indeed open up to accept the double sided tape.

Andy
Old 08-03-2008, 10:51 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

I think that is a bit missleading. a type 2 hinge in a 67 does not open up to accept double sided tape whereas a type 3 in a 67 will.

We really need to be refering to the hinge type, not the model year. Otherwise more nube's like myself will get confused.