Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2013, 07:28 PM   #81
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I wouldn't fill the screws or bolts for the subfloor with caulk or wood putty—someone, maybe you, will be very unhappy when it comes time to take them out someday, hopefully far away.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:49 PM   #82
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Full-Timing , All states!
Hi Gene,

Thanks for the input. We unfortunately have no choice but to fill the bolts with wood filler to make the countersunk holes flush with the rest of the subfloor. We're planning to install glue-down cork tiles over it. The floor sections have some space between them so we're going to caulk between them to prevent floor glue from getting in there and hardening, which would be a lot less flexible of a seam than a caulked one and probably cause problems.

We countersunk the carriage bolts and used locknuts, so someone would have to cut around them someday anyway, just like we had to do when we removed our floor. The bolts were embedded too deep in the subfloor to get a cutting tool at the heads, so we used a circular saw to cut a square in the wood around them and lifted the subfloor out, then later came back and broke the wood from around the bolt to saw them off.

I think the floor we're using will last at least another 50 years, if not longer, at which point the trailer may be too old for another restoration attempt! :-D
KristinS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:50 PM   #83
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
The insulation fairy came today! Can't wait to get started.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2212082822.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	518.1 KB
ID:	181499
Previously owned a 1965 Overlander, fully renovated it, then sold it after a year of full-time travel. We're taking a break from trailers to try a class A for a while, but we're still Airstreamers at heart!
Our blog | Video tour of our trailer
Old 03-22-2013, 03:43 PM   #84
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Chapin , South Carolina
You may need to build in some beds (kennels) for those dogs. Looks good.
JSTOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:26 PM   #85
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Got our new window glass installed today! You can see a big difference between the gray tempered and old clear glass.

Name:	image-3645510961.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	533.2 KB
ID:	182761

Breaking the old panes to get them out made me feel better about our decision to spend the extra on tempered. It may be overkill, but it sure didn't take much to crack the non-safety glass, then they practically exploded glass shards on us, even all taped up. Husband had an ER visit and stitches last year from a drinking glass that exploded, so we're a little overly cautious now. I hope this stuff is pretty durable for full-timing. $340 for all 10 pieces, cut to my measurements.

Name:	image-4147551735.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	418.0 KB
ID:	182762
Previously owned a 1965 Overlander, fully renovated it, then sold it after a year of full-time travel. We're taking a break from trailers to try a class A for a while, but we're still Airstreamers at heart!
Old 04-15-2013, 03:17 PM   #86
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Our trailer has proven to be leak-free (for now) so I've been insulating this week along with my trusty sidekick, Toby, who thinks Prodex makes a great bed. I'm sure the extra dog hair will help our R-value tremendously.

Name:	image-2244222473.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	441.8 KB
ID:	183425

Name:	image-64439357.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	399.6 KB
ID:	183426
Old 04-19-2013, 11:39 AM   #87
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Dog hair insulation—a new concept!

Gene

Old 04-19-2013, 09:23 PM   #88
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Modern art or insulation?

Name:	image-3563554296.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	554.9 KB
ID:	183792

Got the first layer of Prodex in and edges taped today, and our electrical wire all run and marked. Tomorrow we're shooting to finish the last layer of Prodex, and possibly start installing the bottom wall panels! Exciting times for sure.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:26 PM   #89
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
We're all wired up. Now for a second layer of Prodex, then we begin some wall re-installation!

Name:	image-1425814517.jpg
Size:	487.0 KB
ID:	184036

Can't wait to get them painted and looking clean for a change. I think our trailer was smoked in pretty heavily. This was after a thorough cleaning!

Name:	image-1974419167.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	471.8 KB
ID:	184038
Old 04-28-2013, 09:10 PM   #90
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Walls are going in!

Name:	image-4148473225.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	415.8 KB
ID:	184476

Dry fitted our TwinTemp Jr. tankless water heater and hydronic heater from PrecisionTemp, and ran the new propane lines to it and our cooktop.

Name:	image-1264726826.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	420.9 KB
ID:	184477

We also tested all the new LED trailer lights with a pair of 6V batteries to make sure all were working well before sealing the wires up behind walls. Putting the walls on top of wiring might just be the scariest part of the project so far. I'm so worried we forgot to do something!

Name:	image-102570472.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	436.7 KB
ID:	184478
Old 05-05-2013, 10:16 PM   #91
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Our inner skins are all in, except for the new endcaps that we're building out of wood. This week I'll prime and paint the walls before we install our cork floor.

Name:	image-1251971813.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	356.1 KB
ID:	185232

Also got our Fan-Tastic Fans installed and are thankful to be done on the roof of the trailer for a while! That was kind of terrifying and awfully hot, even in early May. Our new Maxim skylight should be here in 2 weeks though and we'll have to get back up there then. Apparently our '65 Astrodome is a different size than most other years, because ours wasn't one of the two sizes they said they normally put in Airstreams. No extra charge to do a custom size though, which was really nice. Great people to work with.

Name:	image-925140247.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	434.6 KB
ID:	185233

Also did the last of the scary drilling into the exterior for our water and 30 amp inlets. Love the Furrion power inlet. Will be even more beautiful when we get the trailer polished.

Name:	image-3943318999.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	519.3 KB
ID:	185238

Name:	image-420961529.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	558.3 KB
ID:	185234

Name:	image-2451412457.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	509.8 KB
ID:	185235

Received our axles the other day, thanks to Mr. Colin Hyde. He and the freight company were so great to deal with, and we had them delivered to the CrossFit gym where we work out, which made for great helpers and very easy loading into our truck! Can't wait to get these on and really be literally ready to roll again. Our first camping trip is May 30, so it's crunch time now!

Name:	image-1406386899.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	521.1 KB
ID:	185239

Lastly, found an awesome new "Life is Good" t-shirt at a local general store here in Knoxville. An Airstream and a dog - they sure knew me! I may have even squealed a little when I saw it..

Name:	image-4267581570.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	500.5 KB
ID:	185237
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1371572834.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	503.2 KB
ID:	185236  
Old 05-06-2013, 07:23 PM   #92
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I really like that T shirt.
Keep up the good work.
Mighty nice praise from klatawa. He is a real craftsman.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:07 PM   #93
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Thanks, Dan! We're keeping up the work part for sure, and thanks for saying it looks good!

In the last two days we finished installing our inner skins, primed them with two coats of Zinsser 1-2-3 primer, installed our cork tile floor, and will be doing our finish coats of light gray exterior latex semi-gloss in the next couple days after our floor has fully dried.

Name:	corkfloorpanorama copy.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	185368

Name:	corkfloor2.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	185369

Next up is building wood end caps and lower walls, installing our water heater/furnace, starting to build some cabinets, furniture, and walls, installing water tanks, getting our plumber friend with the $300 PEX crimping tool to come over for some beers and help with fittings (not in that order!), finishing gas lines, hooking up and testing electrical, and getting our belly pan back on so axles can be installed.

Think we can do it all in 3 weeks before our first trip? Me either!

The fortunate thing is that we're self employed and can work days on the trailer and nights on our business. When do we ever get some sleep again? Maybe in 3 weeks!
Old 05-10-2013, 05:42 PM   #94
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Today we finally got our tail light housings back
from the body shop and installed. A friend who does custom car fiberglass bravely took on our badly crumbling light surrounds.

After several failed attempts at making a mold ("This is the most bizarre plastic I've ever worked with!" he said about our lights) we ended up with these.

Name:	image-156230396.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	468.7 KB
ID:	185522

Name:	image-2872471015.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	544.2 KB
ID:	185523

Originally he was trying to do carbon fiber, but the molds were too finicky for the stiffer material to lay well in it. We're going for a modern silver and black motif with our trailer exterior, so we opted for black, high-shine auto body paint on our new light surrounds, and added LED reverse lights.

He's keeping the molds and may be able to make more on demand if anyone needs 1965 tail light surrounds. I'm not sure what he would charge, but I'd be happy to put anyone in touch with him. Just send me a message!
Old 05-11-2013, 06:50 AM   #95
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Your 65 OL with the new taillights looks terrific.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:22 AM   #96
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Thanks, Dan! They're definitely not a vintage look, but we're only 30 ourselves and really prefer a modern-meets-vintage feel anyway!

Mounted a wi-fi boosting antenna from Wi-Fi Ranger today. We're getting a new rooftop tv antenna, so we repurposed the old antenna pole to raise the wi-fi one instead. The gears are stripped in the antenna box and the handle broke off, so we'll just manually raise and lower it. We're securing it with pipe clamps for now, but may figure out a way to do a pin that holds each section in place when raised.

Name:	image-1380571302.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	427.5 KB
ID:	185548
Old 05-12-2013, 07:41 AM   #97
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Wow, you're moving along really fast. It looks like a great job.

We just bought another house and will remodel it. Sleep is to be used sparingly. I wake up early to get back to work because I'm excited about it, but eventually I wear out, so I force myself to take breaks to keep myself functioning—I've learned a tired man makes a lot of mistakes. Since I'm well over twice your age, maybe I don't have quite the stamina you do. Whether it is remodeling houses or trailers (I remodeled a lot of things in our relatively new trailer too), once you get the bug, you are in for a lifetime of it.

Gene

Old 05-15-2013, 08:11 AM   #98
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Thanks, Gene! I hear you on the renovation addiction and the sleeplessness thing. We don't have as much energy as the photos make it look - we started our own marketing and web design company this year and have been working days on the trailer and nights on our computers. So far we've been quite successful in both areas, but the trailer being done will be a huge win for us. I'd love to get a good night's sleep again or read another book someday! We also have a 100-year-old house that needs finishing up on a kitchen remodel and I have a feeling someday we'll switch from land to sea and renovate a sail boat.

Yesterday we got our new Maxim skylight installed. They took our custom measurements, made it to order, and it fit like a glove. Great quality and easy to install, packaged well. Instructions and hardware would have been mice though.

Just need to trim out the inside in wood or something now to cover the screws. We'll have a wood panel running down the center of our ceiling as well, so it should look nice.

Name:	image-4290005418.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	425.3 KB
ID:	185800

And good help is hard to find...

Name:	image-537088610.jpg
Size:	388.7 KB
ID:	185801
Old 05-15-2013, 12:34 PM   #99
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Hey, poor Toby is exhausted from supervising you! You 2 sure have energy!

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:30 PM   #100
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Dorr , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinS View Post
Today we finally got our tail light housings back
from the body shop and installed. A friend who does custom car fiberglass bravely took on our badly crumbling light surrounds.

After several failed attempts at making a mold ("This is the most bizarre plastic I've ever worked with!" he said about our lights) we ended up with these.

Originally he was trying to do carbon fiber, but the molds were too finicky for the stiffer material to lay well in it. We're going for a modern silver and black motif with our trailer exterior, so we opted for black, high-shine auto body paint on our new light surrounds, and added LED reverse lights.

He's keeping the molds and may be able to make more on demand if anyone needs 1965 tail light surrounds. I'm not sure what he would charge, but I'd be happy to put anyone in touch with him. Just send me a message!
Were you looking for the carbon fiber look or the strength/weight of it. If you want the look check out hydrographic shops to make it look like carbon fiber
crazycuda is offline   Reply With Quote