Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1965 - 1969 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-05-2019, 12:42 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Durham , North Carolina
Help: Replacing bathroom floor

I need to replace the bathroom floor in my 1968 Overlander 26'. The remainder of the floor appears to be in good shape but the bathroom floor is in need of a complete repair. I'm looking for any help/suggestions I can ge on doing this. Should I attack from inside of the trailer or from underneath? I'm fairly handy but never have tackled anything like this before.

Thanks for your advice/help/suggestions.
goswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 02:45 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Alpine , Texas
Got photos of where it’s bad ? Are you talking about the flooring or the plywood and all .?
Joyflea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 03:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Do a search for "shell on floor replacement", and you should get several threads showing how others have tacked what you are doing.

But to summarize, you will need to remove the rear bellyskin and banana wraps so that you can access the bottom side of the bolts that attach the subfloor/frame to the "u" channel on the shell. You will also have to remove the interior lower skins so that you can access the top ends of those same bolts. Once all the fasteners are gone, you can cut the existing sheet of subfloor into as many pieces as you need to to remove it. Note that it will also have fasteners that attach it to the cross-members. These fasteners may have a nut on the bottom, or be a self tapping screw.

Note that the subfloor is sandwiched between the shell and the frame, so there may be bits of wood left behind that you will need to dig out of the gap. Have a good look at the condition of the frame, repair the disintegrating aft-most crossmember, wire wheel it, and repaint it as long as you are there. Once done, get your replacement sheet ready to install. You may need to create paper or cardboard templates to ensure you get the correct shape to the replacement sheet. Use a decent grade of plywood (no pressure treated, and marine grade is overkill) and saturate the endgrain and at least 6 inches in from the edges top and bottom with polyurethane or penetrating epoxy.

Now, if you could get the entire sheet in in one piece, that's great, but tough. Many people split it down the middle, put the two halves in, and then use a doubler from underneath to reinforce the seam between the two. Now replace all of the fasteners and button it all back up.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 03:14 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Durham , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyflea View Post
Got photos of where it’s bad ? Are you talking about the flooring or the plywood and all .?
I haven't done anything but notice the sponge the floor has so I'm thinking the floor and plywood.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Rear subfloor rot is pretty common in these vintage Airstreams. I had a 66 Trade Wind with a rotted out floor under the toilet, and along the rear cargo door area. Replacing it is a big project, and likely will lead to a lot of "while I'm at it" project creep.

As mentioned, you will need to remove the rear belly pan aluminum and rear banana wraps. You will remove the old, stinky insulation. Then you will remove the black tank.

You will remove the battery and converter. Now you get to remove the bath fixtures and water heater. You can see the area of rot.

There are ways to replace the rotted plywood. I elected to piece it over the frame rails and cross members. Others have successfully lifted the body at the rear just a little bit and slid a whole new piece of plywood into position.

Here are photos of the hole in my floor, and a photo of the wood I installed over the frame rails. While I was at it, I also installed new waste water tanks and rebuilt the bath in its entirety. I also installed a new battery, converter, fuse panel and distribution box.

Big job..

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1311 Floor Bath (Small).JPG
Views:	147
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	342583   Click image for larger version

Name:	1312 Floor New Installed Curb (Small).JPG
Views:	130
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	342584  

Name:	1507 Bath Layout (Small).jpg
Views:	116
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	342585  
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 07:57 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Durham , North Carolina
Starting to sound like a bigger job than I am not capable of doing.
Old 06-06-2019, 10:05 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Racine , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by goswick View Post
I haven't done anything but notice the sponge the floor has so I'm thinking the floor and plywood.
As long as you have at least spongy plywood. Make sure it is totally dry. Drill 1/4 inch holes every half inch in the stronger plywood surrounding the spongy part. Spread epoxy resin over the whole service. Use plastic spatula they use for bodywork. Keep adding until more no more soaks in. When it dries it will be stronger than the original floor. Do not use plain fiberglass resin! West marine is one source.
Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 08:04 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Help: Replacing bathroom floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by goswick View Post
I'm fairly handy but never have tackled anything like this before.

goswick

You can do it! It is not rocket science. Most of us who have done this were in the same boat as you. This will just be another skill that you will have learned by working on your Airstream.

I replaced the bathroom floor from below with the shower, sink and closet in place. You do need to remove the belly pan (easy) and the banana wraps (not so easy). You should get yourself a oscillating saw if you don’t already have one. It doesn’t need to be powerful and fancy. My inexpensive one works fine. You might take a look at my thread- Dan’s 66 Tradewind Improvements. There are lots of photos detailing the bathroom floor replacement.

While you are in there I would get rid of the rusting steel box supporting the black tank.

You can do it!

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:55 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegedhel View Post
Do a search for "shell on floor replacement", and you should get several threads showing how others have tacked what you are doing.

But to summarize, you will need to remove the rear bellyskin and banana wraps so that you can access the bottom side of the bolts that attach the subfloor/frame to the "u" channel on the shell. You will also have to remove the interior lower skins so that you can access the top ends of those same bolts. Once all the fasteners are gone, you can cut the existing sheet of subfloor into as many pieces as you need to to remove it. Note that it will also have fasteners that attach it to the cross-members. These fasteners may have a nut on the bottom, or be a self tapping screw.

Note that the subfloor is sandwiched between the shell and the frame, so there may be bits of wood left behind that you will need to dig out of the gap. Have a good look at the condition of the frame, repair the disintegrating aft-most crossmember, wire wheel it, and repaint it as long as you are there. Once done, get your replacement sheet ready to install. You may need to create paper or cardboard templates to ensure you get the correct shape to the replacement sheet. Use a decent grade of plywood (no pressure treated, and marine grade is overkill) and saturate the endgrain and at least 6 inches in from the edges top and bottom with polyurethane or penetrating epoxy.

Now, if you could get the entire sheet in in one piece, that's great, but tough. Many people split it down the middle, put the two halves in, and then use a doubler from underneath to reinforce the seam between the two. Now replace all of the fasteners and button it all back up.

good luck!

Great write up!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:59 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Durham , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyflea View Post
I'm really not sure since I haven't taken it apart to see just how extensive it is...I'm just not sure if I can tackle the job....
Old 07-16-2019, 10:21 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
I did my whole floor replacement.
It's not that bad.
The filth was the worst part.
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:21 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
You can have the "mothership" in Jackson Center do it for you, but it will literally cost you thousands.

And they will replace the plywood floor with more plywood, which, IMHO is insane. It is a material unsuited for it's purpose and will eventually, sooner or later, rot again, especially in the rear bathroom.

Coosa Board is what I would choose to replace it with - a composite material that is virtually WATERPROOF, mold resistant, critter and bug proof, and, oh yeah, 30% lighter than plywood, yet just as easy to work with. The catch? It's a little over $200/sheet, compared with $35 for a sheet of plywood. Then again, cardboard is even cheaper! You get what you pay for, and if you spring for the Coosa, you will never ever have to replace it again when water infiltrates your subfloor.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 05:52 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Durham , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo Girl View Post
I did my whole floor replacement.
It's not that bad.
The filth was the worst part.
Did do it all from underneath the trailer?
Old 07-17-2019, 04:16 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
I took off the belly pan then worked from top & bottom.
Lots of crawling around on e ground.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:13 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Durham , North Carolina
Quote:
I took off the belly pan then worked from top & bottom.
Lots of crawling around on e ground.
Did you remove all the fixtures in the bathroom first?
Old 07-18-2019, 03:59 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
Yes all fixtures & the lower wall skins.
There are three in the bath area on mine.
This is it coming apart.

Name:	20140517_154332.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	346971
Old 07-23-2019, 11:16 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Noticed where you live. Luckily, Out of Doors Mart is located in Colefax NC. They are capable of doing the work. It won't be cheap. But give them a call, and at least get a guesstimate. That MAY give you the incentive to do it yourself.
Old 07-26-2019, 03:28 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Durham , North Carolina
Quote:
Yes all fixtures & the lower wall skins.
There are three in the bath area on mine.
This is it coming apart.
Attachment 346971
Thanks...I'm ready to start removing the interior of the bathroom but not really sure how to start. Does your bathroom look like mine (see pics) I'm not seeing any rivets to take out.

Suggestions/thoughts?

Thanks,

Pete
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	vanity.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	249.2 KB
ID:	347672   Click image for larger version

Name:	tub.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	237.4 KB
ID:	347673  

Name:	back wall.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	190.6 KB
ID:	347674  
Old 07-26-2019, 04:16 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Alpine , Texas
Looks like mine except for the sink and cabinet under it . Take lots of pictures for reference to help when you put it back together . Drill all the heads off the rivets holding the Art Deco parts and don’t force anything . After you get all the fixtures out drill the rivets out in the lower skin out and take those panels out . This will allow you to get to the bolts that hold the body to the frame down . Some may be hard to get loose. Then make your plan on taking out the plywood . Good luck and have fun . You can check out my tread , I documented this process but I had to replace all of my plywood . Blue

It would be easier to keep up with you build if you were to start one tread and put on it everything so we could go to one place and watch and help if you need it . We are here to help .
Joyflea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 10:39 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Durham , North Carolina
removing inside panels

It has been suggested that I put all my questions into a single thread and I'm going to start doing that.

To date I have:

1: removed the rear belly pan
2: dropped the black tank & galvanized box that holds the black tank
3: discovered rotted floor
4: removed the toilet
5: found a replacement holding tank at INCA Plastics and will place order soon

Now I'm on the inside starting to remove the inner panels, etc. I've removed the "art deco" and stated removing rivets. I would like to remove the tub and the vanity but not exactly what holds all that in place...hopefully I will discover after I get the rivets out.

As always, I'm happy for input/suggestions.

Thanks...Pete

BTW: I hope this is included in my original thread. It would be nice if the site allowed me move/combine threads but don't see anyway to do so.