Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1965 - 1969 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-03-2005, 02:18 PM   #1
Hilandr451

1965 26' Overlander
Houston , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Hilandr451
Cool Hello - '65 Overlander

My name is Greg Smith a.k.a. "the Highlander" and I just purchased a 1965 Overlander in remarkable condition from an old friend of mine for $3.5K. I would like to know if there are any '65 overlander owners in my location: the San Francisco bay/ Sacramento Valley areas.
Here's a link to my picture site: http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...dr451&x=13&y=8

My tow vehicle is a 1966 Chevy C20 "Custom Camper" that I am currently resoring and "modernizing" to accommodate pulling our Airstream on the many cross country voyages we plan to embark upon.

I am interested in getting to know you and make some new friends. Is there anybody who is using a vintage '60's or older tow vehicle to complement their vintage airstream?

I look forward to hearing from you!
Hilandr451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 04:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Bump!

Ah yess -- the man with the brick (or cinder block)! (Photo on his website and initial forum announcement shows said masonry atop roof vent -- without falling off during the ride home. A lucky guy...) Welcome to THE forums (are there any other?). Is it Smith or McSmith, ye highlander scallywag you!

Hang around -- research specific structural issues and systems pertaining to your trailer. As you weave through threads you will identify other folks with Overlanders or any trailer within 3-5 years of yours. I kept a database for a while on folks with trailers similar to my Argosy. It's amazing how many you can identify. Eventually you'll run across some in central California. Using the PM (private message) function of the forums is a good way to gauge receptiveness. (Examples: You're going to want to look at the age of your tires, shocks, window gaskets, roof vents, Univolt and good deep cycle battery maintenance. Watch out the heck for that furnace! Search the forums on: Suburban furnace recall. This period had serious aging problems that could result in carbon monoxide issues.)

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 09:35 AM   #3
Hilandr451

1965 26' Overlander
Houston , Texas
Thanks for the tips on what maintenance items to look at that kind of advice is priceless and can only come from another owner who's "been-there-done-that". I had already learned something about trailer tires when we transported it home - you can't just put radials on a trailer. I took it to a trusted tire shop in the town where we bought the coach (we had lived in the area for 12 years and I had purchased tires for all my vehicles there) He explained the difference in the use of car tires verses trailer tires. I believe the letter designation is "ST". You need a tire with a strong sidewall unlike a radial that has a "squishy" side wall for handleing & ride. Our Overlander has a brand new set of bias ply trailer tires on her and concequently, she pulled like a cloud behind the U-Haul all the way home.

I plan on doing some exploratory surgery on the suspension and brakes - but I was wondering - you mentioned the furnace. Did it come with a forced air furnace? or a "hot box" radiant heater in addition to the catylitic floor heater by the door? I noticed a thermostat on the cabinet above the stove, I know it operates the A/C because I tested the system a few weeks ago, but does it also regulate the heater? I supose I need to check that out. I copied the original owners manual so I can get it dirty - I'm just going to have to dive into it.

I haven't bought a bettery for it yet, I just back-fed the electrical system through the curb side exterior outlet to get things checked out. All the 12 volt lights work and the A/C fan & compressor works good. The refrigerator works on electricity, but I haven't tried it on propane yet. I want to do a pressure test of the piping before I try that. I have pressureized the water system as well and found a few leaks. I like the idea of replacing the copper plumbing with the flexable PVC stuff.

I need to wire up a proper 30A receptacle on the side of our house so I can do a proper diagnostic check of the electrical systems and the pressure/demand water pump system. I have spun the motor with my hand and it seems to be just fine, but I need to fill the water tank and power up the electrical system correctly before I can do a real performance test.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:43 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
winfield , Kansas
we go our 65 O/L in oct 08.were in winfield ks just south of wichita ks. do we have any air streamers in our neighborhood? thats about a 100 miles around. bill almond
bill almond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 12:02 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Atlanta , Georgia
I just joined your club - proud owner of a '65 Overlander

Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Chris and I live (at least for now) in Atlanta, GA. I just bought my '65 Overlander and am about to begin work on it. I kinda don't know where to start but I'm going to do _something_ today and start the process. The gameplan is to renovate my trailer to "vintage on the outside, nerd on the inside" and then full-time in it with my dog.

I'd love to connect with any other '65 Overlander folks so we can compare notes and such. I look forward to talking about our babies!
jeffreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 01:16 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
winfield , Kansas
hi chirs we just got our 65 O/L in oct 08 what a money pit ! at least for now but it will be GRRREAT when shes done some day [i thick] we are in winfield ks thats just south of wichita ks we are looking forward to our first ralley in the spring we are doing our inside in pinup cowgril and vintage western i have found a lot of stuff for our A/S on ebay maybe to much..good luck bill
Old 11-23-2008, 10:24 AM   #7
Hilandr451

1965 26' Overlander
Houston , Texas
Welcome Jeffreez, it's nice to hear from another overlander owner. I found mine about 3 years ago in the California desert perfectly preserved. I peeled off $3500.00 and whisked her away to our home in Northern California where I parked her next to our house and haven't done a thing with her.

I am still in the process of restoring my 1966 C20 Custom Camper pickup so we can take the O/L out camping. Our plans for the rig are to keep with the OEM vintage interior (which is still very much intact) and repair and polish the exterior.

I need to replace all the clearance lights and tail light housings, re-glaze all the windows and find a new ferring for the Air Conditioner. All systems are fully operational, although I haven't tested the trailer brakes yet.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:37 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Atlanta , Georgia
Thanks for the messages!

Greg and Bill - thanks for the welcome messages! It's good to connect with you.

I spent a little time with my trailer this weekend and ran into an interesting challenge that I have a feeling many vintage airstreamers have run into - people at auto parts stores pretty much laugh when I come to them looking for parts. I was trying to get the brakes cleaned up on my trailer and needed a replacement spring. All the auto parts people would say is "what is your trailer _like_?" (i.e. is the running gear that same as something that they can look up, like a 1965 Chevy pickup truck).

Do either of you know what our trailers are _like_? It would be nice to know this when I make the trip to the auto parts store and they need to lookup what will fit my trailer's running gear. Any ideas?
Old 11-25-2008, 08:09 AM   #9
Hilandr451

1965 26' Overlander
Houston , Texas
Well, I haven't really gotten into the brakes yet. I have been too busy with my truck restoration and saw no point in starting the trailer until I have something to pull it with. When I do I'll be sure and post what I found. Have you tried the "Brakes & Brake Controllers" forum on this site? Maybe they can help you find what you're looking for. Here's a link: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f439/
Old 11-25-2008, 04:12 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
winfield , Kansas
hi jeffreez i went to the parts store with my part in hand and still got the deer in the head light look like daaaaa. its a shock guys with #s on it ! they didnt match there #s so we had to go by size to get them.[next time im taking a lunch] they had no idea about the bearing seals. so i put them back in they look like they have been in and out a few times i hope they are ok. until i can find a higher life form that knows what they are. i also went to my local salvage yard and found a toilet out of an rv a littel 409 got in cleaned up .and 35.00 was a good price.a new one was 195.00 good luck bill
Old 11-25-2008, 04:58 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
shocks - call inland rv (or inlandrv.com) they sell the shocks. I found our local rv shop (which has been around for 40 years) had a lot of misc dexter brake parts, springs, round magnets (and oval), adjusters, etc that weren't even in the catalogs anymore still in the packages (which were falling apart). Charged me the the sticker price from probably the late 80's on them. If there are certain parts you simply can't find let me know and I'll check there for more.
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 11:17 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
winfield , Kansas
monroe shock # 555003 at napa. the nearest rv shop is 35 miles one way.it would cost me more in gas then the parts. so i have been doing the e bay thing the shipping is still cheaper then the gas and my time. but im still looking for a water pump 12v seee ya bill
Old 12-02-2008, 05:57 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Newport , North Carolina
Just wanted to say hi, we are new 65 owners too, and I did PM a bunch of you so we can all help eachother out. Just figuring out where to start is a job.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:04 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Atlanta , Georgia
Katie and Anthony - Nice to connect with you! I agree, just figuring out where to start is a challenge. I'll be doing that this week. I tore apart the brakes last week and this week I hope to finish that along with starting on the demo in the interior. At least that's what I *think* i'll be doing

I'll post pix and such as I make progress.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:31 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
winfield , Kansas
help im looking for a rally about 300mi s from wichita ks for this spring thnx bill