Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2002, 08:15 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

finally have it

After a very long wait, my Airstream is with me at its new home. The friend who towed it for me said it towed like a dream. The number across the top and back is 16495. Is that the WBCII number? What is that number anyway?

Also, I live in the Kansas City area. What dealers are in this area? Am needing some light covers etc, and would like a catalog to browse through and see what is available for a 1969 Overlander.

Am going to go out today and start getting it cleaned up and see what is what.

Thanks for any help and advice. I can't wait to go Airstreaming. Notice its not referred to as a trailer, but Airstream. That's what everyone called it.

Mikie
Mikie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2002, 10:21 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Finally Have It/1969 Overlander

Greetings and welcome to the world of Vintage Airstreaming.!

If my memory serves correct, there wasn't an Airstream dealer in Kansas until just recently. I know in the early 1990s when I lived near Russell, there was a dealer near Wichita, but I belive there was a period about five years ago when no Airstream dealers were listed in WBCCI publications for Kansas. One of the Recent Blue Berets made mention of a dealership in Kansas - - I believe it was either Topeka or Salina. I would check my current WBCCI directory, but it is among the missing as I am in the process of getting my Overlander ready for winterizing.

Yes, the numbers you see on the front and rear domes are WBCCI membership numbers. The numbers stay with the trailer owner's rather than the trailer. While it rarely happens, the numbers are supposed to be removed before the rig is sold. If you are considering joining WBCCI, you may find that the numbers are available if they have been inactive for two or more years and haven't been reissued. You can learn more about the WBCCI at the following site:

http://www.wbcci.org/html/membership_information.html

Your trailer is also of a vintage that you would be eligible for membership in the Vintage Airstream Club, an intra-club of the WBCCI. You can learn more about the Vintage Airstream Club at:

http://www.airstream.org/membership.html

So far as 1969 specific parts, there will be relatively few available through Airstream itself. That isn't to say that there are no 1969 parts available - - there just won't be many available through the typical Airstream dealer. The light shades that you inquire about are probably available through Inland RV. I purchased an entire set of reproduction shades for my '64 Overlander from them last year and they are actually better made than the originals. You can check out their offering at:

http://www.inlandrv.com/parts/65283-ceillens.jpg

Another source of parts for Vintage coaches is:

http://www.airstreamdreams.com/

I have purchased parts from both of these dealers and found their parts to be of good quality.

Many of the major components can be replaced when necessary with modern counterparts with minimal modifications. Some examples would be wear components such as water pumps, water heaters, furnaces, refrigerators, and air conditioners. The one exception may be finding an Air Conditioner that will work with the thermostatic wall controls used with the Armstrong Bay Breeze Air Conditioners - - when I had to replace mine, I had to abandon my air conditioning wall thermostat.

Good luck with your Overlander!
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2002, 11:53 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Congratulations on your new coach!

I looked in the 2002 Membership Directory. The number 16495 was not assigned to anyone at the time of printing. You have a pretty good chance of keeping the number, if you wish.

You can contact the WBCCI office and ask if the number is available. The phone number is 937-596-5211. If this is your first Airstream, you are eligible for one-year free membership in WBCCI. I recommend joining and trying it. That way you'll know if WBCCI is for you.

Removing the numbers is easy, if you find it necessary. Just warm the numbers with a hair dryer or a wet towel and an iron. The numbers will then peel right off.

As far as dealers go, I really like Ace Fogdall in Cedar Falls, IA. It looks like they are about 6 hours away from you. We used them when we lived in Milwaukee, and it was a 5-hour drive for us. Their parts manager, Florence, will ship anything to you. We would drive over there Friday after work and be there when they opened Saturday morning. It's a good idea to call ahead for a Saturday appointment. Their phone number is 800-747-0747.
Old 10-13-2002, 01:00 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Finally Have It/1969 Overlander

I concur with Edie. I too have been an Ace Fogdall RV customer for more than seven years, and they are a very Vintage friendly dealer. Ace Fogdall is Iowa's Airstream dealer and they are a pleasure to do business with. They have performed numerous maintenance operations and repairs on my coaches from new air conditioners for both the Airstream and Argosy, to replacing a portion of the floor in the Overlander, repairing some minor accident damage on the Overlander, replacing water heaters on both Argosy and Overlander, measuring for and installing new Zip Dee awnings on the Overlander, tracing and repairing wiring problems on both coaches, annual winterizations on both coaches, axle and brake maintenance on both coaches, new refrigerator for Overlander, and refrigerator repairs on the Argosy. I have been absolutely delighted with every one of thier repair jobs, and Florence is a true treasure when you need a part - - she has been able to find a solution to virtually every parts problem with my coach. Steve Oldani, their Service Manager, is also a treasure and has always been very willing to work with me on pick-up and drop-off scheduling as I am nearly four hours away in the Quad Cities of Illinois.

Ace Fogdall is located on Univeristy Avenue which is easily accessible from US 20 via state highway 58 (business/industrial park exit from US 20) - - then take University Avenue exit and turn opposite direction from UniDome - - they are located about 1.5 miles up University Avenue on the left side of the road - - pass the dealership and turn left at the very next light - - there is a rear service access drive about 600 yards from the intersection.
AIR #827
Old 10-13-2002, 03:09 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

thanks

Thanks for the tips. What a great way to get started "Streamin" than a short hop to Iowa. One hitch~no pun intended~have got to get a tow vehicle. But that will come. I've got my Airstream and that's the first step.

Did the 1969 Overlander have a shower or just a tub? Can't find a faucet anywhere. There is a pipe with threads sticking out by the sink, would that maybe be it?

Can't think of anything else right now. Have been busy cleaning, it sat behind an out building in rural Kansas for three years. Lots of good ole' Kansas dirt.

Mikie
Old 10-13-2002, 05:37 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
"Finally Have It/1969 Overlander"

Unless it is a side bath, it is my impression that all Overlanders beginning sometime after 1961 and continuing through the 1970s had what could best be described as 1/2 or 3/4 tub with shower. My '64 Overlander orginally had a bathtub fill spout with a shower diverter and a "telephone" style shower head on a flexible stainless steel hose. The original fill spout was irrepariably damaged by freezing and a replacement couldn't be found. Mine now has the original fill faucet, but it is not connected. Ace Fogdall RV replaced the vanity fixture with a modern unit that has the shower diverter on that faucet - - a workable solution, but it does present soemthing of a problem of how to manage the shower hose. Here is a photo that displays both the old and new fixtures:

You will also likely find a fitting and a sprayer that looks like the sprayers commonly found at kitchen sinks. This particular sprayer is a water conservation device used to reduce the amount of water added to the holding tank by using it to rinse the toilet bowl manually rather than with the "automatic" flush feature.

Good luck with your Overlander. I know when I lived in the Russell, Kansas area Airstreams were an infrequent site.
AIR #827
Old 10-13-2002, 09:14 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

bathtub

Thanks. Mine does have a side tub and it looks like the faucets may have been separated by a grab rail. Since there is only one faucet, it's hard to tell.

On the wall facing the tub, not the back of the unit, is a coat hook? An addition?

Oh yeah, it appears that there were two lights on either side of the mirror. Is this correct? I know these questions sound inane, but I'm wanting to get it back as close as I can without a huge capital outlay. And over one of the twin beds is a shelf that looks like it swings in or out. Is this original?

Questions just keep popping into my head. Thank heavens for the patience of all here.

Mikie
Old 10-14-2002, 08:47 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

coat hook

I have a 72 Ambassador and it has a hook 3-4ft up and another lower down. This is for the hand held shower head to hook onto for stationary rinsing. Mine has a loop on the back of the head to "hook" onto these fixtures.
Mine has two lights, one on either side of the mirrors.
Dave-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 05:26 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

shower

Ah ha, so that explains the hook. Where are the faucets? I'm not sure I've located them. One is to the left, then there is a grab rail, and then there is a pipe with a thread to the right of the handrail. Is that where they are?

It appears there are several light fixtures missing. Is Inland RV the best place or should I try somewhere else?

Like I said, questions just keep popping.

Mikie