Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1965 - 1969 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-18-2008, 04:23 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
Electrical problems

Finally, a Saturday where I could take a bit of time from doing the micro-shop and futz with the '67 Overlander. When we last left our tin girl, I had no exterior lights except the front center marker. I found a great deal on a '6 whip a week or so ago and thought, I know the old whip wasn't any more than six feet long.

Of course, what I really needed was a 6'6" whip.

Note to self... buy an 8' whip. Of course, running the whip from the hitch to the access panel... easier written than done. Well, after trying to work through the tiny access panel, I decided to simply remove the front gaucho and create a second "access panel" in the floor. Hey, it's all getting replaced anyway, so what's a little hole going to hurt? With access panels, top and bottom, the work became a bit easier. Of course, this is about when I discovered my initial plan was going to come up a bit short.

So, since I had everything open, I decided to temporary wire up the whip, back up the truck and see what fixtures were "hot." We now have two marker lights up front and all of them look like they have good poor. The rear lights, deader than disco. Drilled out rivets, checked the wires, still dead. Apparently, I have a short between the whip connections and the actual lights. So, do I make the Herculean effort to find it? Or do I simply "punt" and wire in temporary lights to tow the girl to the shop where's she'll be getting a new frame and a new floor? Well, all of the wiring needs to be replaced, so it's duct tape and baling wire time.

Tomorrow's project is to remove more of the interior and clean up a few things. Oh, and the micro shop beckons. Electrical work there is a bit less complex than in the Airstream.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote