Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Original or make/model?

John

74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 06:59 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

response

To the best of my knowledge, it's the original Armstrong Bay Breeze unit. (Just found that out from another helpful member.) So I'm wondering what the btu is. The shrouds are expensive even on sale, so am searching for a cheaper alternative.

Thanks.
Mikie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 10:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
One would need to know the model number to tell what your specific unit BTU rating is. They are properly sized from the factory in accordance with the size of your A/S. Yes, the shrouds seem pricey but are well built, hand laid fiberglass, much better than the originals. If your unit is still working I think a new shroud is a wise investment. I kept the original unit on mine and had to replace the shroud. It looks great and I prefer the profile and features of the Armstrongs over any other brand.

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 04:37 AM   #5
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
chas

it doesn't hurt knowing how to fix it either!!

i read in another thread you had mentioned they are well made units. infinite rebuildability?

or is the wall thermostat your favorite feature?

my buddy's 74 with an armstrong will freeze you out of the trailer. good if you want to hang meat i guess.

john
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 06:25 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

may need to replace or go without

Chas Another concern is that the a/c unit has been exposed to weather for about two years??? The gentleman I bought it from said the shroud blew away in a Kansas storm. Imagine that! You brought up some good points. Thanks for the help.
Mikie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 09:00 AM   #7
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
A/C units I believe are fairly hearty. The only thing they really can't take is low voltage. Most, not all, but most anything else should be OK. If it works, I'd be leaning to getting the shroud.

Plus, if it is working and R-12 A/C unit it will do a better job than a 134a. I know that the 134a works, but coming from the ozone reduction era, R-12 could blow snow out the vents compared with any R-134a system I have.

If it's a non-working R-12 unit, well, then all bets are off unless there is a converison for it. R-12 goes for $800+ a small tankful and you need license, etc to be able to buy, let alone service.

Eric
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 12:43 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Mikie,

A couple of years without the shroud in place shouldn't have caused any irrepairable damage to you unit, not the best conditions but endurable. Most of the components will tolerate the elements reasonably well. You want to check the fan motor shafts for rust and free movement. The compressor is a totally sealed unit so it won't be bothered at all. The sensitive electrical components are located within the lower unit, inside and protected. At least you wont be worrying about huge mud dauber nests built up under the missing shroud.

Chas

Chas is offline   Reply With Quote