Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1965 - 1969 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-21-2009, 12:49 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
Bed design

I've been thinking about the bed design. I don't really like wrestling with a bed every day (as was the design of some of the campers in my youth). The original floor plan of the Overlander had a bed amidships where the frame slid out to form a larger sleeping area.

What I have thought about is to have the lower portion of the bed "fold down" during the day allowing a bit more walking room and to "fold up" at night to allow us to stretch out. Since a picture is worth a thousand words, here's the basic thought.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bed3.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	85813  
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 01:32 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Staunton , Virginia
Would the mattress fold down at the edge as well, with a "hinged break"? I'm interested to see what you're doing, as I want to get more flexible use out of our Safari post-renovation.

Did you use Google Sketch-up for the drawing? It looks very good- way better than trying to explain you idea in writing.

Brad
65Safari65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 02:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
Yes, I used SketchUp... great little free program.

There are two options insofar as the mattress. It could be "hinged" to fold down or it could simply be removed to serve as a very long pillow/backrest up against the headboard.

When the bed is folded down, it would serve as a super couch for watching TV, reading, etc. When the foot of the bed is in the "locked and upright" position, it would a traditional bed.

I am leaning towards a bifurcated (divided) mattress for two reasons. I like the idea of a big backrest and moving it would allow the hinged bed to fold all the way up to allow access to the underbed storage area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bed4.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	85825  
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 02:08 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1956 22' Caravanner
Mendon , Massachusetts
Send a message via AIM to muddy_hollow Send a message via Yahoo to muddy_hollow
Slide out

Quote:
Originally Posted by hampstead38 View Post
I've been thinking about the bed design. I don't really like wrestling with a bed every day (as was the design of some of the campers in my youth). The original floor plan of the Overlander had a bed amidships where the frame slid out to form a larger sleeping area.

What I have thought about is to have the lower portion of the bed "fold down" during the day allowing a bit more walking room and to "fold up" at night to allow us to stretch out. Since a picture is worth a thousand words, here's the basic thought.

I had something similar in my '65 Globetrotter for ourfront bunk. It was the size of a full and then extended at night. I designed some slide out drawers, looked like mini-coffins and then had a piece of foam, which was covered with the same uphostery as the rest fit into place. Worked well, somewhat of challenge to find a place for the foam piece.

On our 56 we have used a Futon from Denmark which is called a skater. It folds down and has a very modern look and feel to it. Super comfy to sleep on as well.

PM me if you want pictures.

muddy_hollow is offline   Reply With Quote