Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1965 - 1969 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-16-2003, 09:28 PM   #1

Lightbulb '69 Overlander breakfast nook

Hi! We have a '69 Overlander. In the front of it there is currently nothing. We would like to put in a breakfast nook like the orgional. I can only find the measurements for the couch and not the nook.....does anyone have any ideas of where I could get the measurements at?? Or does anyone have one that has some really good pictures???? I have been told that any of the Airstreams from 1967-1974 would be the same measurments.....does anyone know if this is true???? Please e-mail me at CountryLogCabin@aol.com.

Thank You!

Kammy
CountryLogCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 09:25 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

breakfast nook?

I, too, have a 69 Overlander. In the salon there is a couch and a table that folds against the wall. Is the table what you are wanting measurements of? Or what? I would be happy to go measure if I knew what you wanted.
Mikie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 08:48 AM   #3

Arrow About breakfast nook

Hi! That is nice of you to offer.........I have seen the front done in two ways....the couch and then a breakfast nook........it is where there are seats on both sides and a table in the middle.....that is what I would like to verses the couch......do you know where I could find the measurements for that?

Thanks,

Kammy
CountryLogCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 02:21 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Check Mine Out

I am in the process of having a dinette built in my '69 Overlander. Check out the photos:

http://homepage.mac.com/theridleys/PhotoAlbum2.html

When I bought it there was nothing up front. It extends from the kittchen to the door.

Bren
69OverInt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 02:26 PM   #5
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Looking good - Keep us posted!

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 03:14 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
Ours is an original dinette. But no human over 4 foot could sleep in the two single bed it forms. We are considering changing it to a gaucho so a real person could actually use it.

See our photo gallery on our website for pictures of the dinette.
1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 03:25 PM   #7
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
I used these plans for a reference. But my measurments were customized for my coach.

http://globetrotter64.home.att.net/project2.htm
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 04:59 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Hi Kammy;

We have a 21 ' 1969 Globe Trotter - with the original "Breakfast Nook" as you refere to - also known as the dinette.

We may have a small coach but the singles the nook make up are 6'4" and just under 30" wide. Although the one side is shorter - the end side panel flips up and there is a filler cushion that makes up the difference - even when flipped up there is still room to squeeze by out the door in emergencies.

We thought of making the "Sliders" on either side to slide out to the middle making a large double - but for what it is worth - we can have that in the back! of our GT

Hubby is 6.2 and he slept on the short side (hmm cause I refused to sleep right by the door - especially since our door lock did not work then!)

I will go out and take measurements and pics of the singles if you like - or you could check out our Photo Album - GT6921 - on the Photo forum.

Good luck with your search - ps you wouldn't happen to have a spare left front wing window would you? Trade you a boot mat for yours
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 05:51 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Hi me again;

Okay no measurements yet but here are some pics as I realized I never took any of the curbside single made up.

A couple of design notes - this is factory original - we have seen this side panel also as a slide out section rather than the flip up style. The square flat leg you see that rests on the ground - is what flips down on a loaded spring and slides back up to form a V in the hollow you see in one of the pics. The panel is then held in place by the infamous white latch - which cost an arm and a leg if you break them.

Also note that we have not finished the restoration and the back rest has not been re-attached to its original position. The short back rest does not sit along the side of the wall as pictured (however it is much mor comfortable and warmer!) it is actually hinged to the wood panel mounted on the wall - there is a snap that holds that panel up and snaps to a snap on the under side of the oval window.

Lastly the filler cushion is stored in the shelf behind the table and the table is usually in its full down position but can also be left part way up as well. The filler cushion is snaped to two snaps that were screwed into the base bench pictured with two blue strapes - that replaced the original hard clear plastic strapes. You can sleep either way head to front or head to back.

The other single is pictured left in Couch/Nook mode. We added the big cushions because well the factory back rest would give you a major back ache in about 3 seconds. And for short legged people the bench is pretty wide so the fancy cushions really came in handy.

You can also see by the door picture that there is plenty of room to get by and out the door if need be.

We only slept in the singles twice and they were the best nights sleep we had - as neither of us had to share the bed with the dogs

Hope these help..if you want measurements let me know.

PS Janet how do you like this pre 70's fabric - kinda cool really but they are tired and we will be continuing to reupholster them with the blue suede.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Single 1.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	12221   Click image for larger version

Name:	Single 2.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	12222  

Name:	Single 3.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	12223   Click image for larger version

Name:	Single Panel 1.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	12224  

Name:	Single Panel2.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	12231   Click image for larger version

Name:	Singles at Breakfast nook.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	12232  

Name:	Single Entrance Space.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	12233  
Old 05-17-2005, 06:08 PM   #10
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921
....PS Janet how do you like this pre 70's fabric - kinda cool really but they are tired and we will be continuing to reupholster them with the blue suede.
I like it! In a non-organic kinda way, after all it's not orange or lime green..

I'm fairly certain that touquise is on it's way back in - maybe it'll show up in next years CCD?

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 06:49 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Just a thought...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberlanders
Ours is an original dinette. But no human over 4 foot could sleep in the two single bed it forms. We are considering changing it to a gaucho so a real person could actually use it.
Are you sure that it's not meant to have the table drop down with cushions on top to make into a near double turned 90-degrees? That's how we designed our dinette...it works great!

Dinette

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 09:32 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
Dasterdly Dinette

Quote:
Are you sure that it's not meant to have the table drop down with cushions on top to make into a near double turned 90-degrees? That's how we designed our dinette...it works great!
That is what is weird about this trailer. The dinette is original but it folds into two singles. Being the expert camper girl I swore to my husband that somehow the chairs pulled together and the extra pads, stashed under the table, fit between the two sides to form a double. We bumped around for at least 45 minutes. We realized that the pads pull down, and you pull the seat boards out, but they do not meet in the middle. That only formed part of the beds. The table folds up toward the window, not down toward the bed, to make a bridge to form a double. And the end caps of the dinette seats come out, with folded wood frames, they accordian under the seat when not pulled out. The extra pads fit in this new open space forming two single beds. Instead of the seats sitting flat they are tipped back toward the window, so they never lay flat when down. I will try to post a picture, tomorrow when I have the camera at home.

Kathleen
1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 09:45 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
I'm fairly certain that touquise is on it's way back in - maybe it'll show up in next years CCD?
Who said it was ever 'out'?

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 06:34 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
Who said it was ever 'out'?

Shari
You are right Shari - of all the wacky colour Torq, Yellow & Orange The Torq has been maintained for years - but the Yellow and Orange have never dared to stand alone since the 60's But like everything it comes in cycles.

It is the Baby Boomers faults I think - we long for the younger days - so we bring back some of the fashions that we just missed or could not afford when we were kids and today as adults with kids brains we can do anything we want.

Then again - it could be the generations behind us that are just too busy to invent new and innovative ideas - so they go into the history books and recycle what was successful and hope to make a book on someone elses ideas - cause that is what we have taught them - to recycle
Old 05-18-2005, 06:49 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
Dinette in Overlander

Here's what I did in my '72 Overlander. Not very difficult (hardest part was the curves) but there are a few things I'd do differently next time.

The table drops down and rests on the 1x2" trim piece to make a nearly queen size bed.

I'm going to be doing it again soon in my '73 Sovereign as soon as I finish all of the systems (plumbing, electric, water heater, etc.)

I have lots of pics of the process.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dinettedone.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	12243   Click image for larger version

Name:	dinette3 copy.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	12244  

Name:	dinetteframe.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	12245  
PizzaChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 07:03 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
I just had these thoughts

singles to a double in the front - now lets see.....

breakfast in bed - as it should be with a table that does not tip on you....

company coming you can have a nap and have the table all set - but that might be a bit hard if you are napping on it...

With singles one of you does not have to be an acrobat to crawl over top.

....cuddling......well think about it - how much space do you take up when you cuddle? - and how much space is required and for how long on the uh well it would be sensored

....and kids that usually result from the above - will fight like tooth and nail if in the double but singles are perfect.....

....and there is room for the pets on the floor inbetween the singles - and if you are desparate for room - you could shore up the table with two legs and throw a sponge and sleeping bag up there for the friend met at the campsite.

So anyone building a dinette - It might be a good idea to have it versatile - like the short end by the door can be build with the original "Sliders" to pull out lenght ways too - that way you would have a choice of 2 single - but it PizzaChops case 3 singles or a KING bed for 5 tee hee.
Old 07-10-2006, 06:04 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Murray , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaChop
Here's what I did in my '72 Overlander. Not very difficult (hardest part was the curves) but there are a few things I'd do differently next time.
PizzaChop, please expand on what you would do differently. I am looking at a 69 Overlander 27' and really like what you did with your dinette and bunk bed. It is exactly what we need for my family of 4 kids.

So what changes would you make?

Thanks,

69 Overlander
01 Suburban
Hind-Sight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 08:39 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
Andy,

I guess I'd construct just a little differently. It wouldn't be noticeable in the end product, but the underseat storage would be a bit easier to use and I'd probably lighten it up a bit by framing with 3/4" (doubled up where necessary) and face it with 3/8" oak plywood.

Unfortunately, here we are...one year later....Overlander is now in New Mexico with happy new owner and the Sovereign sits under a tarp, sad and neglected.

I'm not sure I can remember how I did it before. Hopefully it'll all come back. At least I've got the pics and measurements.
PizzaChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 05:01 PM   #19

Hi, I'm interested in seeing your dinette photos. Are they still posted somewhere? The link no longer is active. We have a 69 safari 23' that we want to build a dinette in. Any help would be appreciated.
moxiesmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 05:06 PM   #20
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
I built a dinette for my safari a while back.

You can see some photos here:
http://www.ldservice.com/tim/airstream/dinette.htm

I've since sold it so I can't measure anything. I got my basic ideas from the Mannings site:
http://globetrotter64.home.att.net/project2.htm

We really loved the improvement! Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickandme
Hi, I'm interested in seeing your dinette photos. Are they still posted somewhere? The link no longer is active. We have a 69 safari 23' that we want to build a dinette in. Any help would be appreciated.
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote