Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2013, 03:30 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Seattle , Washington
68 26' overlander electrical questions

all,

my new to me airstream arrived this morning - wow i've got a heck of a lot of work to do.

i'm posting photos of the trailer showing the side water heater cover thats missing which is temporarily covered with aluminium flashing.

the interior wiring photos show what i have in front of me - it seems a previous owner cut the wires leading to the inverter when he did the floor. there are also unconnected wired hanging from the corner of bathroom wall.

i have color coded arrows in hopes someone can let me know how to connect them back up BEFORE plug in the black house current lead so i test the system w/110 a/c.

picture#1:

1.are black arrow wires for battery?
2.are blue arrow wires supposed to be connected to one another?
3.the red arrows are pointing to the main house current lead going into fuse panel
4. white arrows pointing to wire that is not connected to anything?
5. green arrows are pointing to wires which i believe were disconnected/cut to remove inverter.

picture #2:
1. what are these leads and where do they connect?

picture#3:

trailer showing hot water heater panel that is missing - does anyone have a good close up photo of this panel and surround - there are several rivet holes around the circumference of the opening which looks to me like there was a rain drip surround or something similar that the cover fits into - the surround is missing.

thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	313.4 KB
ID:	199950   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	359.1 KB
ID:	199951  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	302.6 KB
ID:	199952  
groovzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
Buda , Texas
OK, in photo #2 the two romex wires both connect to 110v outlet, they are running in series, the smaller 12v wires that come out of wall with 110v wires connect to 12v (cigarette lighter) outlet.

The second set of 12v wires in photo #2 connect to light above mirror.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
Buda , Texas
In photo #1:
1.are black arrow wires for battery? Yes
2.are blue arrow wires supposed to be connected to one another? No, the romex wire goes to outlet, then the other wire (Blue arrows) are plugged into outlet
Old 11-14-2013, 05:17 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Nothing to do with wiring or missing water heater cover but your ac cover is backwards!!! Do you have or have you noticed aluminum wiring? If so may need to replace or at least I would.
Cliff
Old 11-14-2013, 05:25 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFlores View Post
In photo #1:
2.are blue arrow wires supposed to be connected to one another? No, the romex wire goes to outlet, then the other wire (Blue arrows) are plugged into outlet
ok so if i am reading correctly your answer correctly, the blue wires (Romex coming out of shell of trailer)in photo1 are connected to make an outlet.

the other set of blue wires in photo1 coming out of inverter get plugged into the outlet?
if this is the case, can't both sets of wires just be connected to one another to make the complete circut?
Old 11-14-2013, 05:26 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFlores View Post
In photo #1:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM66caravel View Post
Nothing to do with wiring or missing water heater cover but your ac cover is backwards!!! Do you have or have you noticed aluminum wiring? If so may need to replace or at least I would.
Cliff
appreciate the heads up
Old 11-14-2013, 05:31 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
Buda , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovzilla View Post
ok so if i am reading correctly your answer correctly, the blue wires (Romex coming out of shell of trailer)in photo1 are connected to make an outlet.

the other set of blue wires in photo1 coming out of inverter get plugged into the outlet?
if this is the case, can't both sets of wires just be connected to one another to make the complete circut?
Just telling you how it was done originally. I tend to put things back the way they were, that way I don't have to worry about why. Probably something about electrical code,