Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2013, 03:55 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1999 27' Safari
Stone Mountain , Georgia
'66 Overlander needs refrigerator

Well, after searching all of the refrigerator posts, being told by a unit member to just forget about it and buy a new one, trying the upside down and shaking it all around method, driving it to South Carolina to the guy that says he can fix anything but couldn't, and being told by another unit member that he could have gotten us a cooling unit and helped my husband install it in about 3 hours and so we need to stop wasting time and call his guy to go that route which was a big dead end, we are at the point where we need to seriously look for a fridge for our '66. The fridge is beautiful to look at, but just won't work. We're still open for suggestions, but also we need to realistically look for something else.

IF you hear of anyone gutting a mid-60s Overlander or just not needing their fridge that works because they got a new one, please let me know in a private message.

Thanks, as always, for the support and knowledge out there!
Beth
1966 26' Overlander International (damaged back panel)

Towed by 2016 Ford F-150
Tin Can Tourist
TAC #GA-27
AIR #34930
KAYAKAMPERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Fridge

Beth,

If your fridge looks good but doesn't work there are shops around that repair older RV refers. Miller & Sons RV refrigeration is one. They are located in Shawano, Wisconsin (715)-758-6509. They may also have same model refurb/rebuilt ones as yours for sale. I know there are others that rebuild/sell vintage units. Seems I recall a place in Florida that does this too! I know of at least one more in Shipswannee, Indiana. I'll see if I can find contact info on them and post it for you here. You might also do a google search on RV Refrdgerator repair and see what pops up. Hope this helps. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Check rvmobile.com. They rebuilt our cooling unit and the fridge works well. All sorts of good fridge info on their website also.

Good luck.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:19 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1999 27' Safari
Stone Mountain , Georgia
Thanks for all of the advice. From the forum, we heard about Wayne of RV Refrigerator Repair| Rebuilt Cooling Unity- Appliance Repair | Fort Mill, SC He said he could basically fix anything, so we drove to SC to take it to him. I gave him a link to the service manual, Chris told him about folks who did cooling units for that year/model, but he still ran into a deadend and said he couldn't fix it. When we were there, someone had just sent him some of the parts for a '62 or '63 fridge, so I hope he can help them out. As I mentioned, we were even told that we just needed to call so and so and they could get us a cooling unit and it could be fixed in hours. Made the call, and they don't have a cooling unit to fix that old M52 model. We did all of the standard troubleshooting and It is hard to troubleshoot something you're not familiar with. I just checked rvmobile's site and they have nothing for sale, but have a few parts for my fridge. I'll have to call the Millers to see what they can tell us.

So, the next question is how do you get your fridge to folks or do you just send pieces/parts of it?

We'll head to SC soon to pick up our lovely little non-working box.

Towed by 2016 Ford F-150
Tin Can Tourist
TAC #GA-27
AIR #34930
Old 04-23-2013, 06:30 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Marietta , Georgia
You know kayakcampers that you could end your headaches by getting rid of your trailer...I know some stone mountain rally members who would willing buy it from you.

We've never found a repair answer for our old refrigerator either so if you do come up with something I'd love to hear it too. The best solution I've ever heard is to buy a new one but front it with the old door so it at least looks original. Our problem with that is that we can't get the same sized fridge so the old door on a new fridge won't work for us.
247stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:56 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1999 27' Safari
Stone Mountain , Georgia
Too Darn Funny!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 247stream View Post
You know kayakcampers that you could end your headaches by getting rid of your trailer...I know some stone mountain rally members who would willing buy it from you.
I was taking a quick break from reading about 100 essays to finish the semester, and saw your message. It gave me a good belly laugh! As you know, we LOVE our little Geraldine, and, unfortunately for you, we can tolerate using the 'man cave refrigerator' in there until we come up with our solution. We are actually picking up a fridge on Saturday in SC that we hope will be the answer to those "refer prayers"! haha

Towed by 2016 Ford F-150
Tin Can Tourist
TAC #GA-27
AIR #34930
Old 05-12-2013, 08:29 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1999 27' Safari
Stone Mountain , Georgia
Good Dometic fridge news finally! After our 10 hour trip to S.C. to pick up two M52 Dometics ( one, our dead one and one from a friendly person willing to let his go ) we returned home and I repaired the donor fridge using parts from both. This weekend I successfully tested and re intstalled the new one. All works well ( gas and electric ), and for now, all is well and cool! Now back to the bathroom renovation.

Towed by 2016 Ford F-150
Tin Can Tourist
TAC #GA-27
AIR #34930
Old 05-13-2013, 04:56 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Marietta , Georgia
Yea!!
Old 05-13-2013, 12:52 PM   #9
Rivet Master