Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1965 - 1969 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-26-2014, 05:13 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hendersonville, NC , North Carolina
Sky light photos

I'm pretty sure the metal that goes up and down is spring steel because it always comes back to shape when you close the lid. The dome lid is riveted to the metal pieces. Do you have any of those parts? Good Luck, Pat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	skylite 001.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	233.4 KB
ID:	214942   Click image for larger version

Name:	skylite 002.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	254.8 KB
ID:	214943  

kokopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 09:34 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Duluth , Minnesota
Thank you, that is very helpful. It looks like I am missing those spring steel parts (unless they are in the parts box).

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Bunkroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 03:31 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Duluth , Minnesota
Rear end water entry, floor rot. Worst possible design!

Ok, I have almost all of my interior out, digging into the bath floor. Water is mostly coming from the tail lights, and the ridiculous trunk lid support. Flooring in the very back was mush. After taking the rear beltline off, I power washed the outside and the water goes right in to the trailer off of the trunk lid support! It is hard to understand how anyone ever thought this was a good design.

Going to need to come up with a better flashing and sealing plan for the part below the service center door. I have scoured the images for a plan. Most of what I have found is a bit different because of earlier or later vintages.

Anybody have experience making this watertight on a 68ish trailer?

Thanks,

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5553.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	258.8 KB
ID:	215079  
Old 06-28-2014, 06:04 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Duluth , Minnesota
Detail of Lower assess hatch and bumper trunk detail

Attaching a drawing of the detail at the U channel. Water goes right through over the Trunk Lid Support piece. Sealant, or a new piece of flashing?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf '68 Overlander Trunk Detail.pdf (146.6 KB, 44 views)
Old 06-28-2014, 07:12 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Duluth , Minnesota
...another detail at "crossmember"

Here is a cross section from between the frame members. There is a steel "crossmember" that connects the frame rails below trunk lid support.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf '68 Overlander rear detail at crossmember.pdf (138.3 KB, 56 views)
Old 08-25-2014, 08:36 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Duluth , Minnesota
I posted a separate thread on the lighting forum with no replies. Does anyone know the wiring sequence for the clearance lights on the '68? I have no clearance lights and found a shorted wire in the four wire group at the right tail light. I also have a broken branch wire off the green a tthe pigtail service area under the front (assume this is feed for front marker lights?).
Old 08-26-2014, 08:04 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hendersonville, NC , North Carolina
Well you have got to clear that short circuit first. The front marker light feeder wire on our '68 went right up through the floor - U channel (whatever) and on the inside of the wall up to the front marker lights. This wire ran right up the curb side of the front window. If you've taken the skins off and the front fiberglass down you will find all of this. Yes the wires were green insulation. Good luck.
Pat
kokopat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags