Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1965 - 1969 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-17-2002, 10:33 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Talking 1966 Overlander International Double

I've now posted a bunch of images to my member photo gallery of my new, not yet towed home, 66 Overlander. I look forward to sharing notes with any other Overlander owners! We are completely new at this, having never owned a trailer before, much less an old one. But she seems to be very solid and I hope she will be kind to us as we learn all the ins and outs.

We purchased her from a private owner (#2 owner I think) about an hour away from home. This was after only a three week search, so I feel lucky. The seller had brought her out from Oregon a couple of years ago, and had done quite a bit of work on her but never really used her much. She will now have a happy home and we hope to use her this August for a road trip to Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

When we first called about the ad, we were informed a couple had already placed a deposit and were coming to get her. Dejected, I continued the search. Then a week later came the call one evening - the couple had changed their mind and were not coming to look at her! The next day we drove up and made a deposit after looking at the unit for about two hours.

Cosmetically, she could be in better shape on the exterior, but aside form a large scrape that has been covered she is really pretty spiffy. I doubt we will polish her up until such time as we can afford to replace that bad skin - could be many years down the road.

For now, we need new OPD valves and a new black water tank in order to get on the road. Not too bad!

I've already started collecting ktichen items, linens, etc to dedicate to trailer use - anyone want to share their top five most useful items to have in a trailer with me? Seems the list of things to round up is getting longer and longer!

Anyway, have a look at the photo gallery and let me know what you think. We will be naming her soon! Thanks to everyone who suggested I look at a bigger trailer! I don't know how we are going to get her down our long driveway, but I can't imagine camping in a smaller one with my family of four adults!! This forum is outstanding and I hope to be able to contribute in the future.
"Mod-Pod" - '77 Argosy Minuet 6.0
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 05:16 PM   #2
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Q's

T,

What is the VIN?

Suggest a level in the refer to set up trailer for camping.
Suggest a wedge to drive the trailer up on to level it.
Smoke detector?
~~~Most important, bottle opener. A must in Mexico.

It's inconvenient, however you can use the trailer without using the bathroom. We stayed at a trailer park with restrooms. We did that in Mexico cause I did not have enough time to complete the plumbing repairs before the trip.

Have you checked over the systems? Refer, cooktop, A/C, Water...

>>>>>>>Action
Old 06-17-2002, 06:10 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Action,

Could have the trailer back at the house as early as Thursday. Don't have the serial # in the meantime as I forgot to write it down.

Good suggestions on the level and smoke detector - would never have thought of that. Check the photo gallery - the front door has a bottle opener mounted permanently to the right side!! Not real classy, but I like it.

Have not had a thorough going over of systems yet, just a quick on and off while the owner was showing it to us. Everything "appears" to be in good shape. New water pump and furnace, convertor, etc. but will be giving everything a full inspection when she gets home.

Did you think about adding a grey water tank? I think we will just go with a portable one. Seems an easy solution.
Old 06-17-2002, 06:28 PM   #4
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Grey Water

T,
If I decide to go self contained I will buy a portable waste (grey water) tank. Then store it in the tub when not in use. However, I mostly go to Mexico to a trailer park on the ocean and they have hook ups. So The route for me would be to just hook up a hose and let everything go down the hose.

Yuck, did my mind really have to go there?

I think I'm going to wash my hands now.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 06-17-2002, 09:09 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Wink 66 Overlander minus 2 = Tradewind

Hi Action & Tamara

I have a '66 TradeWind (my user name probably gave that away).
I used to have an Overlander (1960)

Interesting that the Overlander is only 170 lbs heavier 4250 lbs compared to 4080 for Tradewind. Tradewind must not be as balanced because hitch weight is 418 lbs vs. 400 for Overlander.

I looked at both your photos, very nice units! I love the rich dark wood with your International package. I'd kill for a Zip Dee awning too.

My TradeWind Is almost identical to Tamara's Double layout rear of the kitchen. Rear bath and bed area are very close except my bed is on curbside. Your kitchen has more work area and you have more room at front couch area I think.

My TradeWind still has original fabric (foam replaced) on both sofas, unfortunately it is orange rather than the available blue.
VAC
https://pages.sprint.ca/Streamsite/main.html
66TradeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 09:37 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Hey Terry,

I love your Tradewind, wanna trade??? I actually was hoping to find a Tradewind to cut down on some of the length, but given they can run a little pricier sometimes, and this unit became available so close to home I thought I'd better snatch her up while I had the chance.

Personally, I prefer the light wood, and really that orange isn't so bad!! Blue would have been a bit more restful though.

Looks exactly like my Overlander other than the reverse layout. I may have a bit more room up front, but since the galley is reversed, yours opens up the space when you enter the door I think.

There is a knock-out 1968 Tradewind on Ebay right now - go have a look. It's item #1837332184. That's the kind of interior I would die for. I hope it sells for a bundle so I don't have to feel bad about my dark and boring interior. Can't wait to start dressing it up a bit with some more lively vintage fabrics. I'm pretty sure my cushions were re-done sometime, looks as though someone stole them off a 1980's sofa somewhere in Cleveland...could be worse though.

Thanks for posting, maybe we can share some '66 model year tips in the future. How long have you had the Tradewind?
Old 06-17-2002, 09:56 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

We purchased our TradeWind last fall after our '60 Overlander was pelted by hail. We had known about it for a few years but the owners thought their son was taking it. He ended up getting transferred to Spain and the rest is history.

I disagree about your woodwork, the walnut has a rich look. I really don't notice a difference pulling the TradeWind compared to my former Overlander.
VAC
https://pages.sprint.ca/Streamsite/main.html
66TradeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 08:16 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Beautiful Overlanders -- rear bath!

I am still searching for my first Airstream. I really want a classy 60's rig with beautiful wood. Then I get scared and look at 80's so I don't have to worry about the rear end falling off!

THEN I worry about getting older (55 now) and having a mid-bed, maybe being not so spry and having to climb over my husband to get to the bathroom in the middle of the night. We would want a twin so we could make it into one bed (in spite of being 55!).

Do you-all have problems with the rear bath? Have any of you experienced frame separation or traumatic leaks?

I am not looking for guarantees, just want to know what I'm getting into. I looked at an 85 Excella and it was BORING!

Thanks in advance for your help. Can't wait til I get one!

Connie
Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 11:41 AM   #9
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
my experience

I bought my trailer dirt cheap. And I expected to have work to be done. Seller let me know the floor in the bath area was rotten. The vent cover over the bath was gone and it had rained in there for a long period of time. So no surprises there.

And that does not stop me from using it. I have trailered it to Mexico. (250 miles one way) And I went to New Mexico (600 miles one way) The floor will get fixed and in the mean time I do not have a waste tank or a toilet. I hook up to sewer connection and use the facillities for shower and toilet. A bit of a pain in the butt, however I paid low bucks.

So if you want something different, be dilligent about finding it. And the rule of you get what you pay does apply. I would suggest that you look at any trailer that you can find to see what you like. And that is more important to start with. If you find an excellant trailer and you don't like it ..... well what's the point? And there is going to be some trade offs, cause you are not having a trailer built for you. You will be getting someone else's that they no longer want.

When you have made a decision on the brand , size, layout and options that you want, start your search. Get familiar with that unit, what are typical issues. Most frequent options.

Example: My search I limited myself to a 1965 to 1968 Airstream 27'. It had to have A/C (working or not), an awning, and be fairly original, not gutted. And I had a small budget cause I was getting married that year. ------ I liked those years because of the min. of plastic, the dark wood. Prior to those years A/C is not common, and after I would have to deal with Tambor and quality. The size I wanted was the biggest I felt I could pull safely. A/C and the awning are because it's gets d@** hot here. Anything I can do to create a cooler environment for camping is almost a required item. -------- What I got was a '66 Overlander with twin beds, Zip Dee awning, stabilizer jacks, an inop A/C unit , and had blue and red carpet glued everywhere. (Ceiling, walls, overhead cabinet) And when I got it home, the stove, oven, furnace, 8-track radio and refer worked. The water system was wrecked. Split lines mostly. I still don't have an operating hot water tank. Only the pilot works. Replace the A/C. It was easy since all the wiring was there. I have done lots of other work to it and still have more to go. However I like doing that kinda of thing.

What would I have changed? Looking back I would have done the same thing except I would have liked the double bed floor plan that Tamra has in her unit. Other wise I got exactly what I paid for and I am happy with it. And it will only go up in value.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 08-06-2003, 01:13 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

I like your philosophy, Action. I will NOT be having one built.
And I like what you said about looking at lots of them. We have only looked at one real trailer during this search, that boring (to me, anyway) 85 Excella. We have been having a great time looking all over the internet, but we haven't actually touched enough Airstreams yet. So we'll do more of that.

Thanks for your response.

Connie
Old 08-06-2003, 01:39 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Rear baths: We had a 70 Caravanner with a rear bath and absolutely loved it. We now have a 69 Overlander and it has a rear bath also. We have never had any problems with either unit. I have heard this before, but don't know what caused the problems for other units. Ours is very stable.

Gloria & Don
Lee Pace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 02:07 PM   #12
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Get out

and look at units. Airstream and non-Airstream. The practice will serve you later. Go to RV lots and ask a ton of questions. The only bad question is the one not asked. Your purpose at this time is a fact finding mission. (And you don't want to fall in love with anything yet and make a decision) By looking at units, you will discover what you like and don't like. Even though you have seen it on-line, it will be differant in person! A 2 dimentional picture is never like the real thing.

BTW this is call the tire kicking phase.

Nest step - narrow your selection to Brand. (It's really Airstream, right?)

Then pick the year range and size range. Remember to consider your tow vehicle's capacity. Also note that trailers gain weight over time.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 08-06-2003, 06:49 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Great thread, however, I'm in the dark about how to view these pictures and webpages. All I get is a "Homestead" website and no pictures of AS's!!! Doggonit, I wanna see Airstreams. I don't have one, so I wanna enjoy yall's vicariously {sp}.

Thanks for letting me rant.....
Ken
wannabefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 07:14 PM   #14
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Sorry

Ken,

The photo section is down. We had a server crash a while back and the site has not been the same since.

We have a major upgrade to install. That will bring the photos back. And that should go in in the month of August. You will know that cause there will be a general email that goes out saying the site will be down for a couple of hours on a weekend. Since we are all volunteers it takes a little longer to get things just right.

Thanks for your patience.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 08-07-2003, 03:05 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Thanks for the update. I just read where ealrlier in the thread someone has posted pictures and someone else has looked at them and commented on them and I can't seem to find them. Maybe it was started on an earlier thread and I missed that. Can't wait till the photo section is back up!!

Ken
Old 08-07-2003, 10:12 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Lightbulb Airstream photos

Ken,

I am new also and wish to see the photos. But I do volunteer work as well as a full-time job so I understand priorities! In the interim, I did find a cool site with lots of photos:

http://www.vintageairstream.com/archives/index.html

Best of all, the photos are classified by model and year, so I can add to my daydreaming intensity quickly.

Hope you enjoy them!

Thank you all for encouraging me to go look at real rigs instead of photos. I am getting excited about that, too. The search is fun!

Connie
Old 08-07-2003, 04:47 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Thanks Connie. I had already found that site too and looked all the cololr off of the pictures!!

Ken
Old 07-26-2004, 11:57 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Hi Guys & Gals:

Just towed home my first Airstream from Washington. It looks like the exact duplicate of Tamara's unit, however mine is in need of about 500 hours of work to get it to the same stage of cleanliness. Mildew everywhere, rotten floor segments at front door and in bathroom, and leaks galour. I have started with a general TSP & bleach cleanup on the inside, however my priority must be to replace window/door seals and get roof leaks stopped. I have met my first challenge - most of the vent openers are siezed and yet vent gaskets and caulking must be all redone. Has anybody out there found an easy way to remove vent caps to allow for replacing seals & working on openers? I have much work ahead and I'm gonna need the benefit and help of those who have gone before.

Thanks James
technautica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 12:06 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
We too are going through some of the same issues technautica is - although not as major and not the vent issues. We will certainly be interested in learning along with you on the window/door seals. I think I have read that sikaflex should be used to "caulk" between the window and the frame. What is the recommended weather stripping for '72 windows?
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

sovereignrwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 12:08 PM   #20
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
James,

What state did you find the unit? And where are you located. - Was and is it in an area that you get a lot of rain?

Vent openers ?...... are you referring to the windows? If so be careful, there is a pot metal arm that transfers motion from the crank to the window. It is about 3" in length. And it breaks easily. It is no longer made and Indland RV is the only place to get it that I know of.

>>>>>>>>>Action

Tags
1966, 1966 overlander