Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2013, 10:24 PM   #21
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
I taught myself how to mig weld, but I did take a private lesson from an old school Navy welder. Amazing what watching a little Youtube can do. Good luck you can do it!!
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:20 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
Well I thought I would give you an update of my welding progress. But first let me say that I really have a lot of respect for those can do this. So far I've had 2 classes. We are being taught stick welding first. The first class went fine...during the second class I got "flash burned"...ouch! I think part of the challenge is being able to see when using a fixed #10 shade. So after the last class I purchased a Lincoln auto darkening helmet...this should help. Right now I'm wondering if I'll ever weld up outriggers. But as they say...practice makes perfect. I'm back for more this week...

Bob
Indiana, PA
TAC PA-5
WBCCI 4871
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:52 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
Auto darkening lenses are nice - but there is still a small delay while the liquid-crystals or whatever magic they use activates. After a day of welding your eyes will have cumulatively seen a second or two of arc so chose a spot on the stick up a bit to focus on first as you strike the weld and work by feel & sound for the first second.. And an old leather jacket is great for keeping the sunburn and slag splatter scars down
Old 02-17-2013, 10:15 PM   #24
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
If you're doing a lot of welding starts/day, high speed auto darkening helmets are available which turn dark in 1/20000 second.

I've taught several people to weld (MIG mostly) and it is much easier for students with an autodarkening helmet.

FYI, this technology was originally developed for air force pilot's goggles so pilots would not be blinded by nuclear bomb detonations.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:20 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
SW , Missouri
If you haven't got your equipment yet, you may find that a small flux core wire welder will offer a similar welding experience to MIG. The advantage for the DIY'er is the elimination of the need for shielding gas. There are machines available that can perform both flux core and MIG.
Kyle401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:18 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
Welding Class Update

Well thanks to all for their encouragement. I have had 5 welding classes so far and having a blast. We are still learning stick and should be starting MIG soon. I must admit after the first class I was beginning to wonder if I would ever pick it up. Still won't quit my day job. Hopefully I'll get to the point where I can put outriggers on and frame supports.

Bob Leopold
Indiana, PA

TAC PA-5
WBCCI 4871
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1606.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	326.0 KB
ID:	180008   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1608.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	366.4 KB
ID:	180009  

Old 02-28-2013, 08:34 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
Buda , Texas
Good Looking Beads

Bob,
You're looking sharp, looks like you are getting much closer to hanging outriggers. Once you get some mig work under your belt, you'll be ready to go, work on mastering penetration on thinner material without burning thru.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:26 AM   #28
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Looking good! Once you start MIG it will look a lot prettier. The way I was taught was to make dots, once they were consistent in size I put the dots side by side. When you use a MIG welder you will notice the wire leaves a small dot in the middle of the puddle dot. Once the dots you set side by side are consistent you overlap the dots overlapping at the small dot in the center of the puddle. And thats it stacks of dimes. You will notice that the MIG makes a certain sound when you have the right amount of weld. I learned to weld with my ears as well as my eyes.
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:31 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
Oxy/Acetylene?

Well here is another update from "Welding School". We have now moved from stick to oxy/fuel welding and cutting. Boy were the sparks flying when we fired up the oxy/fuel cutting torch. I would be afraid to get that anywhere near my frame...I'd probably cut through it and destroy my Airstream. Is oxy/fuel even considered an alternative to the welding we do on our Airstreams? One thing nice is that it is portable using the smaller tanks. Does anyone use this to weld on their outriggers? MIG is coming up soon.

Bob
Indiana, PA
TAC PA-5
WBCCI 4871
Old 03-07-2013, 08:56 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
I did some gas welding many many years ago... it has its place, but you are on the cusp of moving into the new era!
Keep the updates coming!
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:47 PM   #31
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
Well here is another update from "Welding School". We have now moved from stick to oxy/fuel welding and cutting. Boy were the sparks flying when we fired up the oxy/fuel cutting torch. I would be afraid to get that anywhere near my frame...I'd probably cut through it and destroy my Airstream. Is oxy/fuel even considered an alternative to the welding we do on our Airstreams? One thing nice is that it is portable using the smaller tanks. Does anyone use this to weld on their outriggers? MIG is coming up soon.
Cxy-fuel welding is becoming rare, since it's relatively slow and the price of TIG machines has dropped for welding Al or stainless. Speed is important, both because of $$ and because the longer the joint stays hot the more heat goes into the part, and the bigger the heat affected zone.

Oxy-fuel gets used a lot for silver and bronze brazing.

I would not attempt to weld outriggers with oxy-fuel if I had a MIG or stick (w/ thin electrodes!) handy.

With practice and a proper set of electrodes, a stick welder is a fine and inexpensive ($100 used) choice for welding any thing steel on the Airstream. A MIG is easier.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:43 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
Bart since all of this to me is new...each welding process seems more interesting. The good thing with this class is that we get to learn/try the most common types of welding. I was also thinking that oxy-fuel would generate a lot of heat to the outriggers-frame-subfloor (which would not be good). I'd hate to start welding outriggers and burn down my Airstream. Am looking forward to MIG. Are there any portable MIG units that will run off of either the Honda/Yamaha 2000 generators?

Bob
Indiana, PA
TAC PA-5
WBCCI 4871
Old 03-09-2013, 01:31 AM   #33
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
I am a 'gorilla welder'... uuuuuuggggglllleeeee, but strong...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:49 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
If you are a gorilla welder this must be your welding helmet....

Name:   image-1307011206.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  43.7 KB
Old 03-09-2013, 07:40 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Portable? Maybe, but heavy.

Quote:
... Are there any portable MIG units that will run off of either the Honda/Yamaha 2000 generators?

Bob
Indiana, PA
TAC PA-5
WBCCI 4871
There are, but any reasonably powerful MIG welder is probably going to run on 220. I run one on a Yamaha 6600, which has a 220 outlet ... but getting that big genset in and out of my truck is a major league pain!

By the way, while you are learning, be sure to get some experience with a plasma cutter. Since I got one, I hardly ever use my oxy-acetylene torch (and not even my bandsaw/hacksaw) to cut steel, and it also will cut anything conductive, such as aluminum, copper, etc. They excel at cutting curves. It may be the best thing since razor blades.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:06 PM   #36
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
If you are a gorilla welder this must be your welding helmet....
Where did you find that. It's my self portrait!
Old 03-29-2013, 05:47 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
Well we are a little over half way through the welding class and finally getting into MIG welding. After a lecture last night we got on the Lincoln MIG machines and got our feet wet. After more than a month on stick and oxy/ace we are moving on. I'm really glad I signed up for this class. Like the other welding methods, MIG requires patience and practice but it sure is fun. We even used a machine set up for welding aluminum. I'm not sure I can think of any application (aluminum welding) for our Airstreams even though they are mostly aluminum. I can see how MIG would be easy to use when welding outriggers back on the frame. Will keep you posted on the progress...

Bob
Indiana, PA

TAC PA-5
WBCCI 4871
Old 03-29-2013, 06:30 AM   #38
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Well we are a little over half way through the welding class and finally getting into MIG welding. After a lecture last night we got on the Lincoln MIG machines and got our feet wet. After more than a month on stick and oxy/ace we are moving on. I'm really glad I signed up for this class. Like the other welding methods, MIG requires patience and practice but it sure is fun. We even used a machine set up for welding aluminum. I'm not sure I can think of any application (aluminum welding) for our Airstreams even though they are mostly aluminum. I can see how MIG would be easy to use when welding outriggers back on the frame. Will keep you posted on the progress...

Bob
Indiana, PA

TAC PA-5
WBCCI 4871
Learned stick, oxyacetylene then aluminum to build all sorts if things. Lets see, how about light things like things to replace wood blocks, steel legs on tables, stabilizers, step supports, new steps, brackets for carrying your specific items...

These items need not be, but might be bolted or riveted to the structure of TT, MHo, TV, etc...

Welding to the Vehicle structure is generally not the best option because of many factors. This is the main reason folks shy away from this skill.

There is a saying back home, "Don't tell my mother I (am a welder/work in oilfield), she thinks I play a piano in a cathouse!"
Old 06-15-2013, 11:08 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Bob,
Forty years ago, I worked as a diesel truck mechanic. During that time I learned to braise and cut with Ox/Acetylene and Do a little stick welding. I was never very good at the stick welding, but I got by.

I live in Wichita, KS and I've investigated the Vo-Tech offerings here and they are sparse regarding learning the basics of welding. Basic welding used to be available here, but now it seems that all of the welding courses are geared toward becoming certified to a very high level. That's probably because Wichita has a lot of aviation industry and in order to get a really good paying job as a welder, you have to be very skilled and these courses are expensive.

Anyway, I decided to buy a Miller welder and I've been watching videos on Welding Tips and Tricks - TIG, MIG, Stick and a pantload of other info and practicing my MIG welding skills on some small projects and practice pieces. In time, I plan to do the same with stick as my welder is a multi-process unit that is primarily a MIG machine but can also do stick and some TIG (DC only an optional TIG torch kit and regulator). I can highly recommend the welding tips and tricks videos.

Steve
Steve Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:09 AM   #40
3 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
1962 22' Safari
Augusta , Georgia
Quote:
... I'm not sure I can think of any application (aluminum welding) for our Airstreams even though they are mostly aluminum....
Bob - check out the window and door frames. On my '73 the original weld on the rear window frame was cracked. I repaired this weld as well as filled/relocated the two bolt holes on the door threshold.

I have a Hobart 210MVP that I picked up a Tractor Supply. Having a welder is like having a pick-up truck, suddenly all your friends have things that need welded. This at least helps to keep the refrigerator in the shop stocked.

dennis
DGJackson is offline   Reply With Quote