Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-06-2013, 08:32 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Which flooring material provides good insulation?

Now that we've been camping in cold weather, we've noticed that the floor of AS gets pretty cold during overnight low temps.
We currently have the original carpeting throughout our '95 AS Sovereign (21ft), but we're planning on changing this to a surface that is easier to keep clean while camping.

While researching the options, we decided that we want to avoid new carpet or vynil flooring. Our preference goes to wood-looking flooring. Most laminates or cork flooring requires underlayment it seems.

Are these floors a good option (at least we're hoping better than carpet) to keep the floors (a little) warmer to the touch?
Is there anything we can do (e.g. underlayment that insulates better) to make it insulate better?

Thanks!
jornvango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:55 PM   #2
Don McKelvay

1994 34' Limited
London , Ontario
When we decided to replace our carpet with laminate flooring, the Home Depot guy told me I had two options - place their white foam under the laminate flooring which 'might' lead to squeeking when walking on the flooring, or place a thicker compressed 'rag type' material they also sold and was more money which had a plastic water barrier on it and would provide no squeeking and better insulation. We chose the later and have been very happy - the only thing we found is there is a little more give or flex when walking on the flooring which is not bad.
WBCCI #205
AIR #42
1994 34' Limited
2004 GMC 2500 HD
Hensley Hitch
Don McKelvay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:00 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Wildwood , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
Don,

What brand type of laminate flooring did you go with? What was the thickness? We are trying to pick right now and are unsure which what to go. We know the color and look just not type & style of product..
Old 01-07-2013, 10:50 AM   #4
Don McKelvay

1994 34' Limited
London , Ontario
Hello Dave & Felicia,
We are not at home right now so I do not have the paperwork and it has been about 4 years since I did the installation. I had never bought nor installed laminate flooring before so I did learn a few things. One- they say laminate flooring is almost indestructible - NOT. Over the years we have dropped a few cans or knives that have dented or chipped the laminate, thus I would not buy a dark laminate as the white interior would show up more than on a lighter colored one. Also, given the flooring is 'floating' it is really important to fit all the pieces together as tightly as possible. Some of our boards have moved leaving a slight space (from end to end). And once in I believe it is almost impossible to either remove a dented/chipped board nor move a board close a space.

To again trying to keep the underpadding sealed against moisture everywhere I had joins I used duck tape to seal the seams.

After installing the flooring I used a good bead of silicone all around the edge, let it dry and then given there was a noticeable gap between the flooring and the walls, etc, I installed quarter round wood of the same color. That made it look finished.

If you want some pictures of my installation send me a PM and I will search my archives for them.

Hope that helps and let us all know how your project goes.
WBCCI #205
AIR #42
1994 34' Limited
2004 GMC 2500 HD
Hensley Hitch
Don McKelvay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:31 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Wildwood , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
Don,

Thanks for the info! Would love to see pictures when you get a chance.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:31 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Tomball , Texas
I have been strongly considering using bamboo hardwood tongue and groove after considering the sensitivities of laminate to moisture. I would think that bamboo's resistance to moisture would be an awesome quality in the airstream. Fighting the small leaks in the 73 Im fixing up to this point is a loosing battle.

Thoughts?
TxBxSx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:48 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jornvango View Post
Now that we've been camping in cold weather, we've noticed that the floor of AS gets pretty cold during overnight low temps.
We currently have the original carpeting throughout our '95 AS Sovereign (21ft), but we're planning on changing this to a surface that is easier to keep clean while camping.

While researching the options, we decided that we want to avoid new carpet or vynil flooring. Our preference goes to wood-looking flooring. Most laminates or cork flooring requires underlayment it seems.

Are these floors a good option (at least we're hoping better than carpet) to keep the floors (a little) warmer to the touch?
Is there anything we can do (e.g. underlayment that insulates better) to make it insulate better?

Thanks!
I installed a floating cork floor in my 66 Tradewind. I have been very happy with it. I installed it in accordance with the manufacturers instructions. They did not require that I install underlayment and I just installed the flooring directly on the plywood floor. The floor has a good feel to it and does not feel cold. See posts 3-7 in the following link:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f116...nts-94152.html

I believe that the flooring could be installed with underlayment, but I also believe that would make the floor too thick and cause problems at the door and by the refrigerator.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:52 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
We went to Lowes, spent some time looking at the options: different materials & styles ... and ended up choosing vynil wood plank flooring.
It looks like wood (or laminate) but is entirely made of vynil, thus no contracting / expanding. The individual planks (entirely made of vynil) have glue on the back, just like the old-style vynil tiles and glue right onto the subfloor.

Installation is scheduled for this Wednesday and Thursday.

Why did we buy this when we were originally going for a laminate floor?
1) 100% vynil so great moisture resistance
2) same look as laminate / wood (individual 'planks')
3) no contracting/expanding, so no need to leave a gap around the floor and work with quarterround baseboard

Hopefully the installation will go smoothly and I'll post pictures towards the end of this week.
After removing the carpet, we'll make sure that the subfloor is in good condition. Make it level (sand if needed or apply patching compound if needed). Apply special glue for vynil floor to the subfloor. Install the new vynil 'planks'. Reinstall the couch.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:30 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
We removed the carpet today.
The subfloor looks to be in great condition.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2356765157.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	502.0 KB
ID:	177356

Name:	image-1441414482.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	525.1 KB
ID:	177357

Name:	image-1773311072.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	361.3 KB
ID:	177358
Old 01-24-2013, 05:54 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
I used that in my 21 ft Sovereign. Hardest part was getting the carpet removed from the floor around cabinets, bed and lav. Only suggestion I have is the direction you lay the planks. Lay them so that the sticky lip faces up and you lay the next plank down. The adhesive is so unforgiving that if you even touch the surfaces....BAM! your glued in place. So, if you lay the planks where you have to "slide" the next plank lip under the previous one....trouble. The results for the floor are great. Looks good and is durable...with no separations.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:22 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
The new vinyl wood planks have been installed for a few months now. No issues so far, looking great. We added quarter round base boards, this successfully hides the carpet sticking out under the cabinets.