Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-08-2008, 11:36 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
What's the re-build order of tasks?

Sorry it's a kind of vague question, but I'm trying to get my head around what tasks I need to do and in what order for a complete shell off rebuild. I figured that if I get the chassis where I want it all POR'd up, add the new floor, attach the C channel then some fresh belly pan around the perimeter and then flip it back I'd be ready to add tanks, plumbing and any underfloor wiring. Later on sealing it up with a few large rectangular belly pan sheets.

Where I'm a little lost is whether I should add the floor to the chassis then lower the shell on and secure before separating the shell from the C channel for an accurate fit? Then flipping it over for the belly?

Has anyone already detailed how they proceeded with the flipping the chassis technique or is it just too hard to do it this way to avoid fitting belly skin lying on your back? I like to have a clear detailed plan of action before I start a project so if there's any resource that has a step by step or a project plan that would be just the ticket!
Old 10-08-2008, 05:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Wow, if you flip that chassis, you'll be the first I know of that's done that to a chassis that long! Norcal Bambi did that with his Bambi.. but that was 10ft shorter than yours. Not to say it can't and shouldn't be done... if you have the space and ability, go for it! You'll save your back. Visit Norcal's thread to see how he did it.

Now, in order of stuff - I'd separate the shell, and see how your c channel looks. If it's fine, then por 15, new wood if there's enough wood to make a pattern cut to shape. If not, then lower the shell to trace around, cut, then flip. But don't attach it.

You want the wood on first to stiffen it prior to the flip. I think the factory used the metal end plate that attaches to the body shell in the front and a rear cross memeber to attach chains and then rotated around the these piviot points. I think I have a pic of them working on one in an AS book around here somewhere. It might take a couple of days, but I could try scanning it and posting the pic if needed.

I was just thinking of your AS the other day, wondering how it was going?
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 11:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
I thought I had read about it being done somewhere on here, thanks for pointing Norcal Bambi's thread out. That's just what I needed to see. I think I lucked out with my sight unseen trailer purchase as the floor seems very good, not good enough to stay but most definitely good to template for the new floor. I also surfed about and read A-Merry-Can's thread again where it looks like he just installed belly pan at the perimeter to begin with.

My project is going to be a slow one, with snow due any day and staying on and off through until May, I won't be setting any records! Still I just need to get some more accurate measurements off the trailer and then model it in Autocad or Sketchup ready for some fiendish planning over the winter!
Old 10-09-2008, 11:04 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Hey, I just checked out your homepage - I LOVE your work!! The ebony bentwood rocker just speaks to me... very organic looking. Can't wait till you get to the interior of the AS... you'll be in good shape.

Keep us updated.
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 12:35 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Be sure that the frame is level before attaching the new sub-floor. You don't want to create a bow in the frame.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 06:18 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Mount Vernon , Kentucky
Sounds like a very thorough rebuild. Good luck and post pics
94Tri is offline   Reply With Quote