Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-13-2005, 11:31 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

What size panhead screws in the U channel?

Hi, its been a while since I last posted but I'm trying to get back to work on my Bubble. It has been sitting on saw horses in my yard for a few months now and I've got to get it done. I've replaced the floor and am ready to install the U channel to the floor. WHAT SIZE SCREWS ARE RECOMMENDED FOR SCREWING THE CHANNEL DOWN? Probably a dumb question but I can't remember what I pulled out. I've got to get motivated b4 the weather gets bad again. TIA
58BUBBLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 12:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
I would suggest you go with about 1" long and maybe a number 8 or 10 size screw with a pan head. I don't remember for sure what diameter the 8 or 10 are though. As I recall the ones that I originally took out were in the range of 1/8" in diameter. The 1" length should be enough to go through the channel and all the way through the plywood (assuming it is 3/4"). If you plywood is 5/8" then probably 3/4" screws would be fine.

I am about to get back to working on my AS some too.

Malcolm
malconium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 02:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
Am in the same boat - Can't seem to get my priorities straight - All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.
And don't forget the "bolts" thru the channel then plywood then outrigger, not sure what size or type those should be?

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 03:02 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1961 26' Overlander
Gabriola Island , British Columbia
I used a #10 x 5/8" plated steel pan head screw.
greg176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 05:31 PM   #5
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I used #10x 1" stainless (#8's are what came out) for the out riggers I had a box of 1/4-20x3" stainless bolts to use. Decided to use stainless for all repair work...I realize it might not have been cost effective for the factory to use them, but I DON'T want to have to do it again... I know what you mean...mine has been yard art for over a year, it has been too freakin' hot to be working in an Airstream without A/C

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 11:53 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Temp has dropped a little today so I will try and get the channel installed- wish me luck!
Old 08-20-2005, 05:35 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

U channel done, what about wiring?

Well its been a productive day. I got all of the U channel installed and my next big task will be installing the belly pan. Here is a question though, the way it was wired b4 the power for all 12 volt lights including inside and outside the trailer ran from the tow vehicle and went through a hole that was drilled through the belly pan, floor, and U channel and into the wall where it was then distributed to the various lights. Would it be a better idea to have it run from the tow vehicle to a receptacle on the outside skin surface? It seems as though it would be a cleaner install and there wouldn't have to be a hole drilled through the floor. Has anyone done anything like this? You could have a single cord that runs between the tow vehicle & trailer that could be removed and stored when not in use. I have seen some heavy duty outlets that would work well. Let me know what you think and if there are any problems with this idea.
Old 08-20-2005, 06:13 PM   #8
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
The cord idea is the way mine came hooked up from the factory. There is a male connector with a spring loaded cap on the front of the trailer and a pig tail that goes between them. The wires are led from a box on the front interior bulked, down thru a hole in the U channel and then down the frame to wherever it is they go.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote