Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2008, 06:37 AM   #1
FT RVing

1976 31' Sovereign
Always searching for a place w/low Humidity , FT RVing, N & S, E & W, & in between
What Respirator size?

I've researched Respirators on the Internet and know what I want.....but I am not sure about the size! I want the half-face type and they seem to come in 3 sizes - small, medium and large. Ideally, you would try all three for a good fit, but I will be ordering from the Internet and that is not possible.

I have what I would describe as a full, round face, wear a 7 1/2 hat.

Any suggestions? Bill
Old 12-22-2008, 07:43 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
I had to find a small one for a petite co-worker. Until then I didn't even know they came in sizes. Got mine at Rockler. But have seen them since at Home Depot IIRC. I'd think Lowes would carry it too. Check in the paint department. Most of these places simplify it to one size for your average painter/worker. I'd say large is what you want. The straps adjust until you have a good seal. I'll say again how comfortable these are. I wear glasses - no problem. And can wear my hearing protector muffs in the shop too -- though that's a bit more of a bother.

I got my paint mist respirator long before using Rot Doctor. I had sensitized myself to fumes from milling western red cedar -- very nasty upper respiratory symptoms. Now I have no problems after using the respirator.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 12:33 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
San Diego , California
A good quality one will give you options for the cartrages. that way you can get a different cartarge suitable for a the different chemicals, solvents, acids, pestasides, paint etc. Also if you have a beard you will need a full face respirator.
Sixty3TW4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 12:55 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Newport , North Carolina
my husband works in an industry that uses respirators and he says you just need to make sure it is fitting correctly each time you use it. tighten the straps, put your hands over the side cartridges and try to breath in, you should get no air. once that is tight, cover the mouth part hole and exhale, no air should come out of the respirator. This makes sure it will protect you. As for what size I have no idea, perhaps you can call the company and ask what size to order. We got ours at Lowe's.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:47 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Groveport , Ohio
I have a full face Draeger resp. even a full face will not seat correctly with a beard. Once fit hold your hand over the cartridge and suck in, if the mask will collapse and stay you have a proper seal. Robert
bertro is offline   Reply With Quote