Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-08-2006, 08:34 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Mansfield , Texas
Vinyl Wood Flooring

Has anyone tried the vinyl wood flooring. I think it's made by Armstrong. I saw some at Home Depot recently. It came in about 4' long by 4" or 6" strips.
bill benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 09:20 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
1964 19' Globetrotter
2012 Interstate Coach
vero beach , Florida
vinyl wood flooring

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill benton
Has anyone tried the vinyl wood flooring. I think it's made by Armstrong. I saw some at Home Depot recently. It came in about 4' long by 4" or 6" strips.
Hi Bill:
I'm not familiar with the vinyl strip flooring, but A.S. uses a wood pattern vinyl flooring in 05/06 Internarional 22' CCD, and in 06 Quicksilver edition that I am familiar with. They're 2 different patterns. Both look very good.
They also use a vinyl cork pattern in the 07, 25' International Ocean Breeze model which I have. It looks very real.
The material seems to be of good quality. I've examined it during factory tour (and under my bed ).
This is, of course, sheet flooring which is much easier to install with no furniture in.
Good luck in your contemplated flooring renovation.
Dennis

07, 25' Ocean Breeze
64, 19' Globetrotter

Air #7609
denellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 08:23 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I talked to Armstrong's tech support. They said they did not recommend installation in trailers because of the greater temperature variation it would be exposed to, particularly when in storage.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 08:36 AM   #4
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
A lot of us have already installed vinyl flooring in our units. I used Pergoe and installed it a year ago. It looks very nice and I have had no problem with it. Much easier to keep clean than carpet.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 09:41 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
temperature variations

I agree with Marshall- assuming you lay it when the trailer, and product, are warm, you will get quite a bit of shrinkage under cold conditions. I saw this first-hand this summer, when a friend installed it in his trailer, and every morning in september, before things warmed up for the day, he had 1/8" gaps between the ends, not so bad between the sides. I would stick to pergo-type flooring, which positively locks together, anything else that locks together, sheet vinyl, or carpet, unless you plan on using your rig only in Hawaii where it is always 78 degrees. Having cracks invites dirt and moisture, leading to eventual failure. My advice: don't use it in a trailer.
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 11:30 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

When we owned a 2002 Safari we removed the carpet throughout and replaced it with a one piece fiberglass back floating vinyl floor made by Armstrong. We purchased it at the Home Depot. We never heard of floating vinyl floors before but we were pleased with the results. After removing the couch and twin beds we then put down a cork subfloor which came in 2' x 4' sheets, a little expensive and very hard to find but all you do is cut to fit and thats it. We then traceed out the floor using the armstrong installation kit, cut and installed with no glue. We used flooring tape for the doorways a threshold for the entryway then taped off and caulked with a matching color around the cabinets. Came out looking like it was done at the factory. Not using the glue down allowed the vinyl to expand. By using the cork subfloor we did'nt add any weight and it gave insullation.
Alumi-Naught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 10:52 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Azrock strip flooring

Bill,

Our house floor is Azrock Stripwood commercial flooring. It doesn't seem to still be available under that name but Azrock is making something similar. See here:
Luxury Vinyl Tiles (LVT) | I.D. Premier Wood Strips 15 x 90cm - Tarkett Commercial

Our house flooring is over lightweight concrete which surrounds the radiant floor hot water tubing. There is an OSB subfloor under the concrete. As you might imagine, it goes from one temperature extreme to the other. We have been in the house for over seven years and have had no issues with the flooring.

We chose a hard floor because we are hard on floors. I come in from outside without removing my dirty boots and that stuff gets deposited onto the floor. Our dogs (4 big ones) have no respect for our floor. Their toenails don't scratch it, and neither does anything else short of a knife. It's tough stuff. As I said, it's commercial vinyl flooring.

It looks like wood. It feels like wood. I know you don't believe that, but the first time I saw it, I was standing on it in a friend's kitchen. After she told me that it wasn't a wood floor I didn't believe her until I got on my hands and knees to examine it.

Although it won't be cheap, it should be an excellent product for a trailer floor.

Loren