Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2005, 06:56 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dillon , South Carolina
Question underbelly replacement for a 1969 Landyacth

I have a 1969 Landyacth Overlander 28 '. Can anyone out there tell me what a complete underbelly skin replacement involve and an estimated cost? When it is off how should I treat the wood flooring that was protected by the skin?
The front windows all have been broken out. How do you suggest I tackle this? Replacement windows will cost a fortune but I don't think plexiglass will be strong enough.
Thanks,
Contact me here
Rodney Boyette urb2165@aol.com
urb2165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 07:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
If you are restoring, use the "search" thread. The amount of knowledge available is very impressive. You'll save tons of time and money by studying the paths of the pioneers. For your windows, try "salvage windows" or "lexan" in search. Several people have replaced glass with lexan windows. Much more durable than plexiglass.

Good luck with your project. Tin Lizzie
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 12:28 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
, Iowa
Windows

Hi Rodney!
I, too, have a '69 model that has had one of the front "wing" windows replaced.
Now, if you are missing the front, center, window (the big one): not a big problem. These are available or you can have an auto glass company cut & install one.
The "wing" windows are a bit more problematic. The 1969 versions of these are a one year only item (those from 1970 or later won't fit) and I have never seen any replacements available. My trailer has one replaced, as you suggested, with plexiglass. It seals the space fine and looks good but, now that it is about 10 - 12 years old, has started to show some verticle stress cracks. If I should replace one today, I would use Lexan.
The replacement tecnique is the same as for glass except the Lexan must be cut to the proper dimensions. It is flexible enough to bend for the needed curve and should not develop the stress cracks that the plexiglass has (although these aren't very noticable & haven't compromised the function of the window).
The regular gasket material for glass can be used but you'll need to use caulk-type sealant on the edges (behind the grey gasket where it won't be seen) to seal it up during installation.
Maybe someone else on this forum has a better or more high-tech solution.
Good Luck
MarkE
WBCCI #4568
MarkE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 02:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkE
Hi Rodney!
The 1969 versions of these are a one year only item
MarkE
We just heard the same story from Bret at the Sarasota Rally - something we really did not want to hear!!! After hour 1500 mile trip down from Stoney Lake to our first really big Rally. (Especially since the small wing windows of the 70's are so easy to find.)

I'll skip the episode of almost freezing to death our first night and jump right into our 3rd night of travelling (the 2nd was in Virginia nice and warm after spending the afternoon shopping at campingworld - getting lots of new toys for MoonBeam - so we were in a good mood!)

It was dull going through VA but NC was nice and sunny and then we were facing a real pretty electrical storm - more lightening than I have ever seen in my life. But we kept trucking right into it. We had stopped for dinner and were pushing to get to St Augustine. Then it happened just about 10:00 at night in torential rain - I did the glance back to see if we still had our AS - and I thought it strange that the curtains were flapping - first I thought it was a window pop open from vibration - but then the shock set in when I saw jagged edges along the window frame.

We were helpless and just had to drive on to the next safest stop - as in that weather there was no way we were doing the hardshoulder thing - in fact US does not seem to have hard shoulders- just big fields that drop off the highway .

Thank goodness for rest stops! we pulled in under a light standard - took a deep breath in anticipation of what to find. The rain stopped just at the moment we opened the door. I put my hand in to hoist myself up and picked up about three shards of glass right away. Got the light turned on and gasped!!!!!

There was glass from the front all the way to the back - not an inch was spared and to boot....no pun intended - once you see the picture below...everything was soaking wet.

It was late, we were tired the dogs were freaked by the storm we had just driven through - just a bunch of happy campers!!!!

Peter was outside picking glass out of the frame and I was inside standing on the boot mat we put in when we were packing up the trailer back home in the Snow!...thinking what the heck are we going to patch that with.....
...cardboard from the brand new blue buggy...hmmmm then a crack of lightening and down came the rain again would not stand a chance...then stopped....maybe the 36 year old blinds could be fashioned - no way the wind force would be too strong then looking down in defeat a little light came on - the boot mat I was standing on looks awful close to the size of the window.

I called out to the honey and said would this do? PERFECT! He said he could fashion some wire to a few things like the antenna and the old rock guard hardware (yep don't go there either!) Good thing it was the left side and not the right as there would have been nothing to wire to.

Then the big question came Honey can you pass me the duck tape and a towel. gosh I know a must have packed some of that stuff ...Is is not in the Trailer Tool box - nope, how about the Vehicle Tool Box - nope, how about the emergency box - nope - okay then it must be in the misc drawer nope not there either. Of course it would be with the Bathroom items why did I not think of that

Fingers crossed for the rain to stop long enough to dry around the frame so the duck tape would stick - A whole roll later, some fancy wiring reinforcement and we were on our way quite pleased in one respect but very very very very disappointed that the front of MoonBeam is no longer ORIGINAL!!! We will shortly be installing a nice new piece of Lexan. (and getting to the Rock guard - shocks and axle smartly)

Morral of the story - 1969's are truly a unique year and forget ever trying to find a wing window for them short of buying a parts trailer for big bucks - cause they usually have the nicest wood enteriors, pre 70's look but still in the 60's error.

And always carry duck tape and a grey coloured boot mat just in case
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boot wing window.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	10956  
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote