Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-23-2009, 12:36 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Swoope , Virginia
travel with bad floor

I would like to go to a rally that's 200 miles away. The problem is that I'm not sure if I have the time to do my floor repair. I plan to get a new axle for the trip so I should have a smooth ride. The front is rotted because of a leak caused by the missing tv antenna. The Rear is bad in the access hatch due to a roof leak and many years with the access door open. With that said, how much damage do you guys think a 400 mile round trip will do to the rest of the structure. I would love to take my aluminum tent so I can get first hand pointers from the good folks who have "been there and done that". But I don't want to cause a bunch of extra problems. Any thoughts?

Thanks, Mike
mikmilr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
I'd guess that with a new axle as long as things are reasonably sound (no major frame damage) you'd be ok. Many of these trailers go decades with rotten floors, bad axles and clueless owners/drivers. We did haul our 22' from Napa CA to central Washington with a bad axle, and rear rot issues including some frame damage. It has a very bad axle and it made it back with no damage. That being said we did check things over, took it very easy.
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
I went 30 miles roundtrip with my trailer like this, and on old bad axles no less:

New axles should aid the ride considerably. Just take it easy, and make frequent stops to stretch your legs and check the trailer.

Also, please note, I'm not saying it's preferable to tow your trailer all around the state with no floor, but it didn't do any damage to the shell or frame to do this.

Good luck!

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:36 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Swoope , Virginia
Thanks guys, I think I can get away with it but the worrying might make a long trip. I guess I at least ought to drop the belly pan and have a look at the frame.

Thanks again, Mike
Old 01-24-2009, 03:48 AM   #5
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Mike, if you drop the belly pan you will escalate the project and not make CBR. You have most of the interior out now right? Screw some 1/2" plywood over the holes and common up. New axle will give a smooth ride, and roads are good between Central Virginia and Upper Marlbourogh. Your Unit is anxous to see you again. Throw the sleeping bags in and roll.

See most of you reading do not know Mikes story, so I am going to tell it to you. Mike and his family were at the KOA when the WDCU was doing the East Coast Vintage Rally last year. Mike was in a Bigfoot toy hauler, and big does not even remotely describe it. So Mike and his family have the site right next to Paul(rideair), the rally host. All weekend long our group is kind of invading his space, kind of spilling over, and all weekend Mike and his family are watching us intently. Well not his kids, they were off playing with the other kids a lot, but he and his wife. All weekend long I and others are saying" Look, we are really affecting your weekend, please come join us for a drink, a meal, whatever" But Mike is a proud guy and does not want to offend or intrude. He replied, "It would not be right, I do not have an Airstream" He did go around at open house. He came through my trailer and then a half hour later brought his wife. I guess he liked what he saw, I guess he liked what we were doing, for a week after the rally he bought the tradewind he is working on. Paul rewarded him with WBCCI dues, WDCU dues, and VAC dues.
Mike, I cannot wait to offer you a drink or a meal and have you say yes.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 06:23 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
Mike, if you drop the belly pan you will escalate the project and not make CBR. You have most of the interior out now right? Screw some 1/2" plywood over the holes and common up. New axle will give a smooth ride, and roads are good between Central Virginia and Upper Marlbourogh. Your Unit is anxous to see you again. Throw the sleeping bags in and roll.

See most of you reading do not know Mikes story, so I am going to tell it to you. Mike and his family were at the KOA when the WDCU was doing the East Coast Vintage Rally last year. Mike was in a Bigfoot toy hauler, and big does not even remotely describe it. So Mike and his family have the site right next to Paul(rideair), the rally host. All weekend long our group is kind of invading his space, kind of spilling over, and all weekend Mike and his family are watching us intently. Well not his kids, they were off playing with the other kids a lot, but he and his wife. All weekend long I and others are saying" Look, we are really affecting your weekend, please come join us for a drink, a meal, whatever" But Mike is a proud guy and does not want to offend or intrude. He replied, "It would not be right, I do not have an Airstream" He did go around at open house. He came through my trailer and then a half hour later brought his wife. I guess he liked what he saw, I guess he liked what we were doing, for a week after the rally he bought the tradewind he is working on. Paul rewarded him with WBCCI dues, WDCU dues, and VAC dues.
Mike, I cannot wait to offer you a drink or a meal and have you say yes.
Frank's story does indeed shed a new light on it. I remember last year reading about "some guy" who was so inspired by that rally that he bought a vintage Airstream. I didn't know that "some guy" was you. That is such a great story.

Like I said above, my trailer did fine for 30 miles with ZERO floor in it. And my trailer had a completely rotten rear subfloor and tons of frame rot too, traveled that way for years, maybe even decades. Feel free to check out my blog linked below for pictures and descriptions of the condition.

The largest extent of the damage was that the rear rubrail buckled under over time, as the floor rotted out and the rear shell dropped, crushing the rubrail against the two main frame rails as they exit the back end of the coach.

No worries, especially if you have new axles. Take it easy, but go enjoy the rally. You and your family deserve it!

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 06:24 AM   #7
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Mike, if you can make it Wed April 1, we are having a caravan through Washington DC. would love to have you join us.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:46 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Swoope , Virginia
Frank, I actually haven't removed much at all, only the gaucho. Most of my time is spent being mr. mom as my wife has the better job and works night shift. I also spent most of Oct thru Jan hunting during free time. Canning season was before that(saw where the economy was going and prepared). I think if I can get the fresh water leak solved I will actually have a useable although grungy camper. Still haven't actually joined the club(dont have a title). Finally got word from PO that he is giving up on finding the title so am needing to contact ITS or Broadway titles. Looks like I will be busy. Oh, by the way, I didn't buy my tradewind. It was given to me. I saved it from the awful fate of having the back cut out and turned into a 4 wheeler shed.

Thanks again for all of the enthusiasm you guys have shown me

Mike
Old 01-24-2009, 06:52 AM   #9
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I hope it works out that you can make it. I have a few cold ones with your name on it....