Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-01-2006, 05:34 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

acton
total floor replacement/shell removal

Well, the more I think of it the more Im guessing Im better off doing this myself.
Im sure someone here has described the procedure of removing the shell etc. Anyone have the link???
Thanks
durans54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 08:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Which links to point you to depends a lot on what year AS you have and how extensive of a remodel is either needed or intended. I am personally in favor of shell on floor replacement unless there is a major need to detach the body from the frame. An example of such a need would be if you need to take the frame somewhere else to have it worked on. Give us some more details about your trailer and what you know about how bad the frame or floor are in need of repair.

You can also use the "Search" mechanism at the top of the page. Use key words like "floor replacement", "shell off" and etc.

Malcolm
malconium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 08:14 PM   #3
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
I did a "shell on" floor replacement as Malcolm describes. Also, as Mal suggests, you may not be able to follow my example. Give us more details. Here is my link if you want to take a look. I'm not finshed with the project yet, but the floor is in.

Jim

http://www.airforums.com/forum...nte-15132.html

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 08:30 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

acton
I have a 63 tradewind. If its possible to do the entire floor with the shell on then I would rather do that. Any tips on how to perform a shell on would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Mitch
Old 05-01-2006, 10:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Shell off replacement

Hi, Durans 63. I have a 63 Bambi which I have been doing a restoration. My trailer is smaller than yours. Shell off has some advantages. One is the freedom to work on the frame rebuild and the belly pan work. I found it much easier to replace the belly skin with the floor upside down. However it did take some special rigging in order to accomplish the task. I suggest you read as many of the threads on this subject before you start. Also inspect as much of your trailer as you can. This will help you make the decision that is right for you. It's a lot of work. But it is also a project with great rewards.
Here is my thread. http://www.airforums.com/forum...mbi-17925.html
Don
NorCal Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 10:33 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

acton
Thanks Don, appreciate it. I will give it a good once over before diving in so to speak. I will also check out your thread.
Mitch
Old 05-05-2006, 01:22 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Check out the following thread for a lot of discussion about floor replacments. My post number 10 has a list of some more threads where I describe the techniques that I used in more detail.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...-done-428.html

By the way it is a lot harder to get the body off of the frame with a 70's plus trailer because of the way that the channel around the bottom of the body is shaped. It is a u-channel pointing up and a c-channel pointing inward with the edges of the floor plywood inside of the c-channel part. Earlier units have just a u-channel that sits on top of the plywood making it a lot easier to lift the body off.

Malcolm
malconium is offline   Reply With Quote