Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-18-2013, 02:57 PM   #1

Austin , Texas
Tips on replacing flooring at back of 2000 Safari

I live in Austin, Texas. Is there anyone you would recommend to do some work on my 2000 Safari? There is a strip of plywood at the back about 8 inches wide that is rotted. I have seen lots of posts about this problem but not one that gives some instruction as to what the steps are to do it.

Is the insulation attached to the flooring? I would guess that you would need to remove the strip on the outside, cut a new piece and then slide it in. I have not looked, but would assume there are screws in the channel through the plywood into the frame.

I would rather let someone else do this, but could probably do it if I knew what steps were.

Where would be the place to get the emergency exit clips that hold the back window frame tight. One is broken and there was water running in last night when it was raining.

Ed
"Go Spurs!"
edturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:52 PM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
In addition to replacing the section of subfloor, you need some leak mitigation too. It's possible the window leak you described is the only culprit, but there's a good chance there are other leaks.

Top's Vintage Trailer Works just west of Belton on US190 is my choice for excellent work on an Airstream.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:33 PM   #3

Austin , Texas
There is water damage across that area under the window.
Thanks for the tip about the company in Belton.
edturner is offline   Reply With Quote