Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-22-2016, 10:17 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Plattsmouth , Nebraska
The process of putting things back together

I'm pretty new to all of his and feel like I'm walking around a dark room with my hands out...

When I got my AS it was already taken apart so I do not know what goes where etc..

I have my new subfloor cut out and ready to put them on, but do I need to wait and put my gray water tank in? Or is there any other items I need to run below the floor before I attach the floor.

Next do I attach the belly pan or do I put the top shell back on then the belly pan.

As it sits now the belly pan is under the frame on the floor in one big piece. The axles have been removed and I have new axels and wheels and tires ready to go.

Its currently in a garage that I am paying $400 a month for and want to get it rolling and out of there as soon as I can. If there is a way to add the gray water tank later and not have to wait a couple weeks to get the tank with all the custom fittings that would be great.

I will not be adding a black water tank back in, I plan on using a composting toilet instead, so I could put the gray water tank back in the rear where the black tank was. I dont think the belly pan goes all the way under the back where the black tank was.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3464.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	214.8 KB
ID:	264988  
Jhiner1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 10:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
2008 F350, 6.4L diesel , Oak Harbor, WA
I would think you would need to install your underfloor insulation, electrical, and plumbing before the floor.

When I worked on mine I needed to add more frame parts to allow the use of flooring, since flooring sub-floor requirements are much more strenuous than carpet floors.
sgschwend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 09:23 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Plattsmouth , Nebraska
Im using 3/4" plywood instead of the original 5/8, and the new flooring will be 1/4 inch re-sawn wood.

I thought all the electrical was run through the walls?
Jhiner1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 06:56 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhiner1978 View Post
Im using 3/4" plywood instead of the original 5/8, and the new flooring will be 1/4 inch re-sawn wood.

I thought all the electrical was run through the walls?
With that level of shell off approach, electrical goes through where you want it to go through. I plan on routing as much of the electrical under the subfloor as possible so I can do spray foam insulation with as little obstruction as possible. I'm going to use flexible or solid metal conduit for romex going under the trailer and may use it for the rest of it, just in case. Cost, under the circumstance, isn't that much. 100 ft of flexible conduit is under $50 and it comes with a peace of mind flex from various (admittedly unlikely) what-ifs.
Chae is offline   Reply With Quote