Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-28-2021, 01:03 PM   #241
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
Taking shape

The bathroom is starting to form. I primed the aluminum with zinc phosphate and then coated the whole deal with white smooth Durabak. The faucet and tub drain all went it OK and I got to use my new Pex-A expanding installation kit. I'v been agonizing over the plumbing to avoid low points, high points and bypasses but I think I'm going to lay the pipe at the floor most of the way around the trailer and utilize one drain next to the pump and tank then just a blow out fitting and 50 psi, it seems simple and avoids a ton of antifreeze in the system. With the exterior wall up there's just a tiny bit more wiring and acoustic insulation and the interior wall can go in too. Then it'll be time for an aluminum skinning, probably just .025" as it needs to make a 4 1/2" radius, and we can paint the whole trailer interior. I haven't quite decided on a bathroom door yet, I was going build one but without an actual workbench it would be an epic fail so I think it'll be either a $50 flush hollow core luan Lowes door cut down or plan B is a 24" x 75" solid Walnut shaker style cabinet door for around $450, one is cheap and light the other would probably look beautiful and fit the atomic/ mcm feel I want.

I cut and framed an aluminum access hole for the water heater too; it's definitely an RV grade product. The access door seems like a joke but maybe there's a secret that has alluded me to make it more sold and wobble free. Must order the remote LP tank fill kit and learn how to plumb gas lines next.

I ended up getting most of the electronics I wanted too:
-Victron Multiplus 12/3000
-Victron In/Out to use as bus bars
-Victron battery temp monitor
-Victron Smart shunt
-Victron Bluetooth dongle
-Victron MK3USB interface for custom programming (now via macOS !)
-Victron MPPT 100/30 solar controller
-Ampertime 12VDC 300 Ah Lithium
-MiaSole CIGS panels, 4 x 50W, just to top up as we drive and when sitting out.
-A bunch of Blue Seas Systems switches, fuses etc

I'm fascinated with the CIGS panels and should be able to get them in a nice line between the 2 MaxFans as they are extremely narrow and stealth.

The mini split is keeping to my programmed 72 which I think is decent for full sun all day in the low 90's with almost constant door opening to get tools or materials. I'm hoping with solar screens, a bathroom door and a lot less volume to cool after the interior is completed that it'll work very well in most conditions I run into.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6979.jpeg
Views:	76
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	396411   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6986.jpeg
Views:	74
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	396412  

Name:	IMG_6961.jpeg
Views:	81
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	396413  
Old 05-28-2021, 02:14 PM   #242
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Wow, the bathroom wall looks great. Very custom with the curved corners.

Just curious, are you building this in such a way that it will be removable in case you need to service the plumbing?
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 02:38 PM   #243
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
Good question. I started to build it with the intention that like the original build everything could be brought in through the door and removed relatively simply but it just become hugely complicated with such a large shower. Instead I've settled on a plan that has 3 access plates, one for the shower head, one for the faucets and the last that has access under the tub to change out the Hepflo valve should the need arise. I guess a major benefit is that the shower walls and tub are all permanently sealed together so there's an extremely low possibility of a leak, I hope.
Old 06-26-2021, 08:59 AM   #244
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
Paint

I got around to skinning the bathroom walls inside and out and painted the entire trailer interior with acrylic enamel in Alabaster from Sherwin Williams. It definitely feels good to finally instal the lights and fans.

I built a bed frame that seems to work well in the available space, leaving about 2 feet around two sides. I'll add a bedside cabinet on the street side, a headboard with sliding doors and a shelf to block off the area above the water heater next. The street side is framed for soft storage bins as I wanted drawers but not the added weight, I'll add 5mm divider panels to keep contains from straying.

The bathroom also got the wheel well clad in plywood and aluminum then a vanity cabinet frame and ceramic drop in basin thing. I wish the top were lighter but as a whole its pretty reasonable.

I'm progressing towards getting actual flooring installed so ordered Marmoleum MCT tile in white marble and golden sunset ready for a checkerboard pattern. I decided to only install Marmoleum is visible areas and will use cork underlayment tile elsewhere. I really wanted to use cork tile everywhere but the fading issue combined with now having a dog who may sneak into the trailer nixed that. Most of the aluminum profiles have arrived for construction of the bathroom door frame so that'll most likely go in before the floor.

The style seems to be morphing into some weird modern minimalism atomic hybrid but I still have some confidence that it'll work out OK, to whit I installed some light switches using a home brew toggle plate idea I had.

Question, what near black out window covering might work here? Curtains fit with atomic but being as they are so short I'm worried it could look like a doll house. Oceanaire blinds are hella spendy and seem to have their own issues. I had Venetian blinds on my overlander and they were fiddly around window hardware and nearly self destucted. Roller blinds, similarly light duty. Last option is like a roller blind attached at the top of the window frame but hand rolls up from the bottom on a pole and gets secured with a strap when up. I've been trying to work out if its possible to make something that attaches to the bug screens and gets secured against the window sash that way avoiding the curved wall problem entirely, maybe a 1/2 thick plantation shutter? yes I'm massively overthinking this one....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7123.jpeg
Views:	76
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	398224   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7125.jpeg
Views:	68
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	398225  

Name:	IMG_7126.jpeg
Views:	61
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	398226   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7099.jpeg
Views:	63
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	398227  

Name:	IMG_7107.jpeg
Views:	65
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	398228  
Old 08-12-2021, 08:24 PM   #245
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
Back to school update

I got the retro Marmoleum tile down and started the lounge furniture. I have the fresh tank under the front window and the couch slats are removable to access the tank hatch for cleaning. The side bench has a one piece frame of slats that will hinge up for storage, I'll probably stash the seatback cushions there when using the couch as kids beds.

With stuff coming together we tried a 4 night trip at the beginning of the month; using a cooler tipped "us" over the edge and an Isotherm Cruise 200 in stainless is inbound. There is now a little more pressure to build a kitchen quickly.

Under the side bench near the door I've started locating electronics. So fas I've crammed:
-a Blue Seas AC toggle breaker
-a WFCO AC/DC distribution panel
-a fused box for the mini split
-the familiar Victron Multiplus 3000
-a bus bar I made from a modified Victron Lynx and some copper bar
-an MPPT solar controller.
-300 Ah of LifePo4

I'm setting the Multiplus up to power the distribution panel using either shore power 1, 2 or DC but the 2nd output will only power the mini split when on shore power. it seems like a good place the start. Next up is to make a bunch of fat cables and figure out all the dongles, interfaces and sensors...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7191.jpeg
Views:	57
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	401691   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7279.jpeg
Views:	67
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	401692  

Name:	IMG_7282.jpeg
Views:	77
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	401693  
Old 09-01-2021, 01:47 PM   #246
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
Power & Water!

Moving on from electronics I installed all of the Pex A line and expansion fittings with a manual expander. I had thought that the cumbersome tool would cause some problems but with a bit of forethought it worked great. I added a drain at the front for the fresh tank and hot and cold drains at the rear. The pump area has a strainer, 3 way for antifreeze, valves to drain the tank, fill the tank from city water and isolate the pump. I used several vibration dampening hold downs on the lines along with the flex lines at the pump to keep it quiet. I remade the fresh fill line as I didn't like how the tube flattened out and used some schedule 40 and a short length of hose; it is self vented but there's also a 5/8" line to a separate vent to help it out.

I did notice that it's the only PEX variant that requires a 30 minute initial pressure test at 120 psi to set the fittings but with no leaks I moved on to a water test which feels like reaching another mile marker on the journey.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7366.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	403193   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7375 (1).jpeg
Views:	69
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	403195  

Name:	IMG_7373.jpeg
Views:	62
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	403197   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7354.jpeg
Views:	46
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	403198  

Old 10-04-2021, 01:55 PM   #247
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
Cabinet stuff

Time for a fall update. I've built the kitchen and mid coach cabinets at last. I went with face frame construction sitting on a framed plinth to get a small toe kick. The frames have 4" radius corners at both ends and around the below counter fridge freezer fridge. I used 1/2" plywood for the kitchen gable end and 2 shelves; one for the microwave and one as a base under the sink but luckily avoided the weight everywhere else.

I tried a different paint process this time and rollered on Zinser BIN white shellac primer and then shot PPG Breakthrough with an airless Wagner. I really like the BIN as it sands so smooth and my first time using the airless went well too.

Once it's all reinstalled in the trailer I can add the 4 stage fan system to manage the fridges cool air requirements and make the giant countertop.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7462.jpeg
Views:	52
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	405499   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7464.jpeg
Views:	45
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	405500  

Name:	IMG_7465.jpeg
Views:	49
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	405501  
Old 10-08-2021, 07:35 AM   #248
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Spring , Texas
Looking great! I love the floor
Old 10-13-2021, 01:55 PM   #249
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
Here's a shot of my grey tank vent experiment; both tanks have a vent, coming in from left and right in the pic, they join up above sink drain level then off down through the belly. I have three Hepvo valves in the kitchen and bath so combined with this set up that's a lot of pipe area for efficient grey dumping. No roof skins were harmed :-) My back up plan if there is any noticeable grey tank odor outside the trailer is to thread on a filter; I used one on the vacuum system black tank on my Overlander and it vented at waist height with zero issue.

The countertop material had acclimated so I applied it yesterday to a 15' run of plywood and now I need to form and attach the polished edge trim.

The retro vibe is getting stronger by the day.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7470.jpeg
Views:	43
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	406190   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7467.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	406191  

Old 10-13-2021, 02:38 PM   #250
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
That should work. All it needs is an open hole to push displaced air outside. Kinda like re-venting a kitchen island sink. Looks professional.
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 08:39 AM   #251
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
Weigh in

We got the cabinets and marmoleum countertop in which let us install the sink, faucet, fridge, cooktop and some outlets. I like the pop up outlet the most with its damped action and the chrome fits the vibe. I fitted the kitchen faucet with a Tri-max faucet aerator, it switches between 0.5, 1.0 and 1.5 gallons per minute which seems like a handy function.

A bonus was finding the drop down wine rack in the fridge. The Coolerguys.com programmable thermostat for the fridge cabinet seems to work well, it turns on three fans at different settings to flow more air cross the compressor, (up to four max). We ran a data logger in the fridge compartment and it did well until the trailer got really hot; with the trailer AC running and/or some stuff in the fridge/ freezer it should perform well. I let it all run for over 3 days on the battery but I was using a shop vac and heat gun a fair bit so decided it would be a flawed test and plugged back in, it's looking good though.

Under the trailer I added the remote propane fill kit and ran the lines for propane to the cooktop and water heater. The water heater is a DSI model and sparks but isn't flowing gas so I think I'll take it to a Dometic service centre and have it checked out. I placed a hard wired propane detector mid trailer and have a CO detector ready to mount up high.

On the way back from getting the propane tank filled I did 3 runs through a Cat Scale (using the app which worked smoothly). I filled the front mount fresh tank with 40 Gallons which moved the tongue weight from 680 lbs to 900 lbs.

Normal set up Steer axle 2980 drive axle 4040 trailer 4220 Total 11240
No WD Steer axle 2880 drive axle 4180 trailer 4160 Total 11220
Truck only Steer axle 3340 drive axle 2560 Total 5900

This tells me that the Tundra rear axle is pretty much maxed out and that I should run with minimal fresh water until I switch the truck out as I like the anti sway setup I have already.

The still to go in the trailer list includes a couple of hundred pounds of drawers then couch cushions, upper cabinets, curtains and camping stuff but with a wet weight of 5320 lbs, 900 of which is on the coupler I think I'm on target having 7000 lb axles.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7514.jpeg
Views:	55
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	406855   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7535.jpeg
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	406856  

Name:	IMG_7536.jpeg
Views:	63
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	406857   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7540.jpeg
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	406858  

Name:	IMG_7541.jpeg
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	406859  
Old 10-24-2021, 10:33 AM   #252
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Looking really good as it all starts coming together.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 08:11 PM   #253
4 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
1987 34' Excella
Olathe , Kansas
Very cool. I like the curves.
coloradoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 10:57 AM   #254
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
Lit

Day 2 on the water heater paid off. A satisfying roar for 18 minutes and we have hot water. Even reinstalling the bluetooth Mopeka LPG sensor worked; I substituted some electrical gel I had on hand in place of the supplied pouch and went from zero tank reading stars to maximum stars. It's a pretty cool gadget that just attaches with magnets and bluetooths the fill % and has an alarm you can set for low fill.

I'm celebrating by ordering 15 drawers and slide hardware although I don't expect to see them anytime soon.

In the meantime I'll be trying my hand at making a shower curtain and something to replace the cardboard window treatments.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7547.jpeg
Views:	51
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	406950   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7549.jpeg
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	406951  

Old 10-25-2021, 04:25 PM   #255
KCN
3 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
Victor , Idaho
HOW I love seeing all this. You have always been one of my most favorite forums people.

I'm doing a rear-to-mid bath conversion as well. Also planning on using Marmoleum tiles (probably the planks vs. squares, in one of the striated colors, but we'll see), so it's great to see how fantastic yours looks!

KCN
Old 11-09-2021, 08:08 PM   #256
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
Baptism by rain

It was time for a long weekend run down to Savannah but we didn't get the weather I was hoping for. It rained, it was cold, it rained more, occasionally interrupted by gale warnings on the weather app or small tree branches bouncing off the trailer on their way to the ground. The LG AC unit worked like a champ though heating surprisingly well. The water heater was also solid and apparently being elated that a 2min 41s shower only uses 1.75 Gallons makes me a nerd. Even my hastily made shower curtain worked well.

I'm pretty pleased with the little LG microwave too, I made two aluminum brackets and attached them to the microwave shelf and used 2 existing sheet metal attach points on the microwave enclosure itself to lock it in place. For a cheap appliance it's interesting that it has the keypad concealed behind the door and just a touch control slider on the door to adjust time.

I picked up some ultra budget near blackout curtain panels and cut them up then "seamed" them with some stitch witchery stuff and an iron. They look brutal just clipped in place but I'm going to practice on them with a Singer HD 4452 I picked up before I order the new curtain track and hardware. (I have the original components and have stripped it all but much prefer the look and functionality of a Recmar aluminum track with snaps I've seen used on yachts).

If the econo curtain sewing works out well I'll go all in on the DIY upholstery as I have a plan for the L shaped couch and then I'll revisit the curtains with something better.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7563.jpeg
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	407815   Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpeg
Size:	240.9 KB
ID:	407816  

Name:	IMG_7586.jpeg
Views:	49
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	407817   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7568.jpeg
Views:	43
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	407818  

Old 11-09-2021, 08:28 PM   #257
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Glad your trip went well, other than the rain and tree branches. Also, our LG has been extremely reliable and efficient in both heating and cooling (knock on wood). Your floor looks great. Keep us posted.
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 11:03 AM   #258
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
death router

I'm nearly out of the 1500 1 1/4" Kreg screws I bought!

Pretty good progress over the weekend. I have ready for prep a bedside cabinet, a headboard with storage, a bedside filler counter with shoe storage in the aft and the somewhat daunting couch backrest built under the front window. I added some cubbies and hidden storage on the backrest as I think the kids will like it.

I wanted a decent radius on the headboard and couch back so I can clad them in sheet Marmoleum. The goal here is to reduce hard edges but have a more durable surface than paint. Simple in theory but it was only after I bought a 1 1/2" radius router bit that I realized I'd have to modify my router base to use it. Still it worked.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7665.jpeg
Views:	47
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	408356   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7667.jpeg
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	408357  

Name:	IMG_7647.jpeg
Views:	47
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	408358  
Old 11-23-2021, 05:49 PM   #259
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Battle Ground , Washington
Like clecos, you can't have too many kreg screws. I like the rounded corners. Wish I thought of that before I build the banquet base. Nice job all around.

Our thread:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f97...er-172124.html
57Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 04:57 PM   #260
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
Thanks Harold; my design philosophy is "how could I make this more difficult and then decide it's a good idea".

Today I finished up the front cubbies, added some piano hinge to some storage areas and made the dinette top. I was aiming for an atomic boomerang shape but to make it a bit more user friendly (we have small children) it ended up closer to a jelly bean. I used Baltic Birch ply but I added some stiffeners so I'm getting more confident that it's going to be solid. I hadn't appreciated that the Springfield pedestal allowed 360 degree rotation so that might be a bonus although in my application it'll probably just go up for dining and down for coffee table (kids crafts).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	65948238077__10EE1DC9-6F67-4AB5-A0F5-F905BEF49D05 (1).jpeg
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	408417  

Tags
1960, atomic, frame, new chassis, rebuild, shell off, skin, sovereign, vintage