Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-04-2006, 01:01 PM   #1

eureka , California
Subfloor replacement

My wife and I have just purchased a 1963 22' Safari in need or some subfloor repair(amongst other things). I'm wondering about replacing the front section by removing the rotten section chopping the existing bolts and replacing it with marine board and self tapping screws to attatch it to the cross memebers. I was hoping to avoid removing the belly skin or other sections of shell. I've read a lot of threads but I havn't seen anything about this possible application. Any advice would be apprecitated. Thanks.
grizz814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 03:31 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1956 22' Flying Cloud
West Linn , Oregon
You can replace the front floor section, but you may find that the frame will need some work as well. If the floor was water damaged then it's likley the frame will be rusted. I replaced the floor in my 1963 Globe Trotter and did it in two pieces. I used self tapping screws that were 2 1/2 x 1/4 square head tappered. They work great and were strong. As I said you may find the frame will need work, and the rust, if any may run back further.
You don't have to spend the money on marine board. Just use CDX and put a coat or two of water seal on it, it will last for years.
I have just replaced the floor in my 1956, but I did a complete new frame and sheet metal replacement as well.
Good luck!
Dan Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 05:09 PM   #3

eureka , California
Thanks. I have read some other threads on removing the rust and repainting the frame with rust resitant products and feel I'll probably be doing some of that as well. So just CDX with a water proofing treatment huh? Sounds good. What thickness plywood will I need to use?
grizz814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 09:25 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

burbank , California
I am thinking of doing the same with my 62 Bambi. I don't have the time or the space to remove the shell.

Is it not possible to fix frame rust by removing the subfloor only?
kamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 09:14 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1956 22' Flying Cloud
West Linn , Oregon
I used 5/8 plywood CDX exterior grade good side up. You will need to poke around a little on the frame and make sure everything is solid. If you have any rusted area's you must fix them, which is not always a easy task, but it's a must! You can fix the frame by removing the sub floor. When you replace the flooring try to do it in as few pieces as possible, the floor is the back bone to the body.
Dan Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 06:34 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
1962 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Northern , Minnesota
Grizz or Kamo,
Have either of you proceeded with your repair. I just got a 62 GT with the same problem and I would like to know how it's going. I plan on using 5/8" bdx and coating the edges and surfaces with WEST system. I am currently starting on the frame with POR 15.
Bradjun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 07:16 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
There are several great threads covering all aspects of this type of repair. Do a search under "floor replacement", "floor rot", "Shell off" or similar.
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote