Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-10-2014, 05:10 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Walloon Lake , Michigan
Subfloor preservative

I have a 77 Sovereign and have inspected most of the subfloor and have found it to be solid. I did notice however that near the living room window area the subfloor has some discoloration and water stains where driving rain must have entered. I was thinking of applying a oil based penitrating preservative. Does anyone have any thoughts or product recomendations.
wallooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 05:18 PM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
howdy!

Find some 'Git Rot'... treat the floor well.. especially along perimeter..
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 06:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Bleach then deck paint works if the wood is just discolored and maybe a few punky spots that don't go all the way through.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 06:18 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
Check out West Marine for marine grade epoxy .
woodfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 06:23 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2000 23' Safari
Vero Beach , Florida
I would (and have) use something like West System epoxy. Several coats - until it won't soak in. Really great stuff. Used by many famous boatbuilders. A boatyard I was working in built large sailboats from thin wood encased in epoxy. The boats are still out there.
mhilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 07:13 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Plain old two part epoxy. Mix the two part along with a couple of "glugs" of Acetone. It will become a runny mixture that when poured onto the wood, will soak in. The acetone will evaporate, then the epoxy will harden. Can be sanded and painted, or whatever you wish to do with the area.
I used this method when I replaced the flooring in our Caravel. The plywood was checked just inside the door. Repair has held for over ten years.

This will not work with rot, only with plywood which has been exposed to water and has become checked and separated which occurs near doors or other places where water tends to get into the plywood sub floor.
This method can also be used to repair plywood which has become d-laminated. In this case, use a 5/16 or 3/8 drill to make holes in the area. Put a stop on the drill bit so as not to drill through the bottom or last layer of plywood. Mix the epoxy and acetone mixture and pour into the holes, saturating the area. Next morning the plywood is better than new.

A couple of years ago I had to replace the very rear portion of the sub floor in the Caravel. I used this mixture to treat the new peace of wood to prevent such damage in the future to the new piece.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:42 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Gun Barrel City , Texas
An epoxy product is what I plan on using…GIT ROT as mentioned earlier would work and there's another called Smith's CPES available at VTS.
gregtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 08:31 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Walloon Lake , Michigan
Thanks for all the responses. My damage is very minor no soft wood just discolored. After receiving posts I am now interested in epoxy or fiberglass resining the entire floor. My plywood is only 1\2 inch not 5/8s as others report having. Would the epoxy\resin increase the strength of the floor. It does seem to flex under foot a bit.
wallooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:14 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I have had good luck with bleach to kill the mold and mildew then Latex deck/floor paint on top after it has had time to dry. The paint also seals off the bad smells and minor leaks just puddle up instead of soaking in. Right now, all I have as a floor covering is paint.

Perry
Old 10-13-2014, 10:32 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Vinegar is useful for killing mold/mildew as well. Also a little less odiferous than bleach.

I agree that a good self-priming floor/deck paint should protect the subfloor very well.
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 03:27 PM   #11
flygrrl

1962 19' Globetrotter
Winchester , Ontario
acid loving mold

A strong bicarb solution works well to kill mold and mildew. Fungi tend to love acids. Rubbing alcohol also works well, nothing like a little toxicity to kill natures decomposers.
Leonie
flygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 06:41 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Bleach will kill everything and do it quick. It also won't leave acids behind that might contribute to corrosion. It will produce some HCL but that will dissipate soon. Hydrogen peroxide will work and won't smell as bad.

Perry