Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-10-2007, 09:01 AM   #481
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Excellent work. I happen to have two of those 8K units that I used a few years ago in Tonopah, hooked into the Overlander via temporary supports at the windows. They did a credible job on that sized Airstream.

My 13K unit on roof of the Caravel does a good job in Vegas in the height of summer, but during the day runs pretty much all the time. I'm thinking 8K might struggle a little if it's over 100 degrees outside and the sun is bright. Let us know (OK, I know it will be next summer--don't forget).

BTW, I hate the size of the 13K on the Caravel. It's really a too big hump.

Zep
Old 09-10-2007, 09:15 AM   #482
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
i hate the look of a shortie with a hat on. that's what lead me down this path. It's not just the outside either. I never liked the look of the big AC panel hanging down from the ceiling. I couldn't come up with a way to make it look half-way worth a darn with the new aluminum and wood interior.

I did think ahead, though when moving the unit up front under the goucho. Should I ever need to replace or upgrade the unit, I have plenty of room to do so. I could get a unit up to an inch taller, and 12 inches wider, without having to do anything but move a few of the brackets. we'll see how she cools before I start planning on the next one, though. I think one thing that will really help in keeping this unit cool is the almost total lack of walls. We want a really open interior in it. In fact, it feels twice the size of our trade wind, at 6 feet shorter. we'll see if i can maintain that!

jp

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 12:05 PM   #483
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
A stellar mod at this point would be to collect hottest air from next to ceiling - even if it is a partial draw of the total evaporator airflow to avoid restrictive flow... maybe modify a partition into hollow-core leaving the top open and flex duct snuck to it? I have been eyeing the bottom 16" of my closet for just such an A/C addition!
Old 09-10-2007, 09:14 PM   #484
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Merry-Can
i hate the look of a shortie with a hat on. that's what lead me down this path. It's not just the outside either. I never liked the look of the big AC panel hanging down from the ceiling. I couldn't come up with a way to make it look half-way worth a darn with the new aluminum and wood interior.

I did think ahead, though when moving the unit up front under the goucho. Should I ever need to replace or upgrade the unit, I have plenty of room to do so. I could get a unit up to an inch taller, and 12 inches wider, without having to do anything but move a few of the brackets. we'll see how she cools before I start planning on the next one, though. I think one thing that will really help in keeping this unit cool is the almost total lack of walls. We want a really open interior in it. In fact, it feels twice the size of our trade wind, at 6 feet shorter. we'll see if i can maintain that!

jp
I have a 12V fan, the kind you would see on older bus dashes to defrost the windshield, that moves the cool air around nicely. It was in the trailer when I got it and I'd intended to remove it but it works so well in combination with the A/C when we use it. With a 21' rig, at least, the A/C mounted in a cupboard on the floor up near the front has worked out very well and keeps it cold enough for us. I do need to move it to a different spot from where I've had it though as it makes sitting at the dinette quite cool sometimes - a slight miscalculation on my part as it happens to be on the side Donna sits. Oops! I also happened on a 1957 TravelAire swamp cooler for car or home (trailer) and we have used it more than the A/C this year, but we also have not had the weather you folks get. For us hot is in the 90's.

Barry

Barry
Old 09-30-2007, 02:32 PM   #485
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
I'm back from a 2 week trip abroad, and FINALLY get to play with the Airstream again!! Today, I cut all the plywood for the top of the front couch, and one piece for the bed. Then I worked on finishing the install of the actual AC unit. More on that in a sec. I need to get photos to show where I am on it.

Cheers!

jp

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
Old 09-30-2007, 02:52 PM   #486
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Yeah, we need some photos.
Oh, and welcome back.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 04:45 PM   #487
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
AC Installed!

OK, Here's the final AC set-up. I had to make an extension for the control panel (i think it was 10 wires). My plan is to mount the control panel in the cabinet front, so you can see if when you walk in. plus, you can get the remote to hit it from the bed area!

This photo shows the shroud in place. I drilled (2) 2 1/2 inch round holes in teh floor on teh side of the AC unit. The wooden shroud keeps the external air from mixing with the cabin, and more importantly, keeps the ac unit from sucking all the cold air out the side! I still need to seal it to the unit with some foam, and add a tie down strap to the AC so it doesn't bump around during transit.

jp
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3388.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	46263   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3390.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	46264  

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
Old 09-30-2007, 04:49 PM   #488
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
Underneath the trailer, I drilled 2 more 2 1/2" holes for the cooling air intake. I wasn't sure if that would be a big enough inlet, but when I ran the unit, it was blowing enough air through it to keep the door open at 45 degrees! I don't think the intake is too small. If it becomes a problem, I'll drill 2 more. This photo only shows one of the holes.

You can also see the 2 condensation drain lines in this pic. I redid them with a thinner black hose that fit my grommets better than the braided line. It was just too thick.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3392.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	46265  

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
Old 09-30-2007, 04:56 PM   #489
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
now for the door. It fits great. That's the good news! I had this made by The Metal Company in Colorado while i was out of town. The total was a little over $100 plus shipping. It's a good job... but I'm a little particular, so I think I'll end up modifying the door a bit to look a little nicer. I'd like to have some additional louvers in it, and I think it would be nicer if the aluminum for the door was on top of the door frame, rather than inside it, and overlapped the door gap a little to conceal the edges.

I think I'll get the metal guys to make me a louvered panel and see what I can do with it. Yes, I know... it's just a trailer, Jordan! Get a grip! ha! I figure I've done about everything on this trailer twice, why not stay with my MO....

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3394.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	46266   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3395.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	46267  

Name:	IMG_3399.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	46268  

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
Old 09-30-2007, 04:59 PM   #490
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
One thing I just didn't get is the fabricators screwed the frame together rather than welded it. So, at the very least, I'll be having it welded, plug up the screw holes, and sand it before I permanently attach it to the trailer. (hence the Clecos in the previous pics).

More on that later. I'm beat... still on UK time! haha!

jp

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
Old 09-30-2007, 05:08 PM   #491
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
I know you've considered road dirt getting into the shroud area and you've put some hefty screening on the 2-1/2" holes to keep the critters out!

Nice job. Really like not having the A/C on the roof. I've got a couple of those room A/Cs just sitting in the shed...

Zep
Old 09-30-2007, 05:42 PM   #492
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Nice work!

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 08:32 PM   #493
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Do you mind if I borrow your A/C install Idea?

Kip
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 03:35 AM   #494
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium
I know you've considered road dirt getting into the shroud area and you've put some hefty screening on the 2-1/2" holes to keep the critters out!

Nice job. Really like not having the A/C on the roof. I've got a couple of those room A/Cs just sitting in the shed...

Zep
I haven't put the screens in yet, but it's definitely in the plan! I wanted to test run it for a while to make sure it's getting enough airflow before I finish off the bottom holes. Since I think I'll be reworking the door, I'm waiting to screen that in as well. The door panel with the louvers will make great external vent covers for the kitchen exhaust fan, if i cut it in half.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood
Do you mind if I borrow your A/C install Idea?

Kip

Credit Uwe, not me! He gave me GREAT advice based off his experiments. I'm planning on a similar installation in my '62 Globe Trotter one of these days.

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
Old 10-04-2007, 02:04 AM   #495
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
willow springs , Illinois
very nice work,guys.great ideas.
etp095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 09:16 AM   #496
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Keeping cool?

Howdy, this is NorCal Bami. I also put the airconditioner on the floor in our Bambi. Don't know is you saw my install. We were in Redding CA last summer when it was a 115 outside. I had to use additional fans to get the cold air up and circulating around in the trailer. I think one of my problems is too many curves for the air to travel around. How has you setup worked? I'm starting to work on our 55 FC and want to get additional input on airconditioner location. My bigest problem is I don't like the looks of the roof mount. Any input would be great.
NorCal Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 02:22 PM   #497
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Airconditioner ducting?

Perhaps the trick with an inside airconditioner would be to figure out a way to duct the air to a high up location for disbursement. Having the cold air enter the living space high probably would go a long way towards creating circulation. Also it occurs to me that it might be possible to mount the unit itself up high somewhere. Maybe in the top of the cabinet over the refrigerator for example. It seems to me that having that much weight up high would not be any worse than having a roof top air conditioner. Perhaps it would be possible to create a duct along the top of the cabinets with cold air dumping into the living space at more than one location along the length of your floor plan.

Malcolm
Old 01-20-2008, 04:36 PM   #498
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Colin Hyde of GSM Vehicles and TheVap.com has a 50's model Airstream that came from the factory with a small a/c mounted over the cabinets curbside. He kindly allowed me a tour last year at the international.

A couple of things my poor memory is trying to dredge up:

The factory model wasn't powerful enough to cool the trailer, so he had to add another. The a/c was very small, so it looked easy to mount. It was mounted in some kind of specially made cabinet with a square hole cut into the side of the trailer for ventilation. When the a/c was off, the cabinet on the inside of the trailer closed up and looked nice. I can't remember what the outer cover looked like. I may have a picture of it somewhere, but I'd want to get his permission before I posted it here.

Anyway, the point is that mounting it up high can be done, and if anybody can do it, you guys can come up with a way!

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 05:52 PM   #499
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
hi guys!

I haven't had much time to play with the traveller lately. I've been restoring a feather craft for the April rally! I HOPE to have to etime to button up a few more things on teh little trailer, too though. I'd love to take the pair of them to hiawassee this year...

anyway, the AC doesn't cool too well, but when I added ducts, it cooeld even worse. I'm planning on letting it just dump straight into the cabin at the front and then try to duct the INTAKE, since I think that would let the most possible air flow out cool. WHen I added 20 feet of ducting, the air coming out was probably half of what it was at the unit, so I scrapped the idea.

THis summer will tell me more on how practical the lower mounted ACs really are. One thing, they certainly do LOOK better, for what that's worth. ha! I did think ahead, though and run 110 to the skylight, should I give up entirely after a season of heat.

JP

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
Old 01-22-2008, 12:02 PM   #500
Idiot Savant

1967 22' Safari
Auburn , Alabama
JP - what do you think about an open duct system that pulls the air from the floor and dumps it out up top?

Sorry about the MS Paint illustration - my computer is in the shop and the work computer doesn't have illustrator (oddly enough)

1972 international 27' (like a fish)
Cursh is offline   Reply With Quote