Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2009, 12:12 PM   #361
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno View Post
13 outlets, huh? Now I don’t feel so bad thinking I need 14 or 15 in Little Girl!

Looks great Toastie!

Chris
Thanks Chris, will be adding a few more, you just can't have enough, only 5 will be seen inside.

toastie
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 04:06 PM   #362
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Worked on belly pan and wiring (7-way bargman cord) today. When I bought the trailer there was no step and I plan not to add one. There will be no insulation below the floor and I will be adding stainless steel vents to belly pan.

toastie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	belly1.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	90643   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7889.JPG
Views:	221
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	90644  

Old 11-11-2009, 05:31 AM   #363
3 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
1990 34' Limited
Cape Coral , Florida
By the time you are done you will think the AS contains as much copper as there is aluminum. I think I may have underwired. I've only got 2 110V exterior outlets and 10 interior. Oh where oh where did I go wrong? Did you remember the 40 Amp fusable links for the trailer wiring?
dieseleagle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:07 AM   #364
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseleagle View Post
By the time you are done you will think the AS contains as much copper as there is aluminum. I think I may have underwired. I've only got 2 110V exterior outlets and 10 interior. Oh where oh where did I go wrong? Did you remember the 40 Amp fusable links for the trailer wiring?
Are you talking about the fuse between the battery and the intelli-power
Old 11-11-2009, 09:49 AM   #365
3 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
1990 34' Limited
Cape Coral , Florida
Yes, that's it.
dieseleagle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 02:22 PM   #366
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Yes, that's it.
dieseleagle

I will be following this diagram, they are calling for approx fuse of 55 amps
with a maximum distance of 18" of battery.

Thank http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/..._p/vts-146.htm for the diagram

Thanks very much
Toastie
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fuseboxwiringdiagram.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	90705  
Old 11-11-2009, 02:33 PM   #367
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Call me paranoid, but I would add a fuse on the negative lead coming from the battery as well. Same rating you use on the positive lead. Fairly cheap additional insurance.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 02:47 PM   #368
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Call me paranoid, but I would add a fuse on the negative lead coming from the battery as well. Same rating you use on the positive lead. Fairly cheap additional insurance.

Chris
I'm paranoid, will add it....................thanks
Old 11-11-2009, 03:03 PM   #369
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Toastie, I used that same wiring diagram. I got it from the BestConverter.com website. Thank goodness I found it because I was stumbling around trying to figure out how to wire all that stuff together. I think I remember reading that you were going to use a new fuse panel? The one from BestConverter makes it easy.

I only used one fuse going the battery positive and another for the charge wire coming from the tow vehicle. Adding one to the battery negative does sound like a good idea. May go back and do that.

There's an explanation and some pic's in my Full Monte thread post 754 thru 764. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f226...-15132-54.html

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 03:35 PM   #370
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Btw Toastie - thanks for posting the wiring diagram. We’re not at that stage yet, but I'm collecting diagrams and pictures from you and other forum members, and putting them in our folder of information to look at when we start actually rebuilding Little Girl next year. Gonna be a loooong winter…
Old 11-11-2009, 04:15 PM   #371
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
Toastie, I used that same wiring diagram. I got it from the BestConverter.com website. Thank goodness I found it because I was stumbling around trying to figure out how to wire all that stuff together. I think I remember reading that you were going to use a new fuse panel? The one from BestConverter makes it easy.

I only used one fuse going the battery positive and another for the charge wire coming from the tow vehicle. Adding one to the battery negative does sound like a good idea. May go back and do that.

There's an explanation and some pic's in my Full Monte thread post 754 thru 764. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f226...-15132-54.html

Jim
Jim

Your "doin-the-full-monte" thread made it one of my favorites 2 years ago, great job. The diagram really helps me and I hope it helps others. Going with a fuse panel from 12V RV Fuse Box

Thanks
toastie
Old 11-11-2009, 05:24 PM   #372
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
That's the same one I used, except mine has only 9 output lugs. Made it really easy to tie everything together. I tried to scavenge the fuse panel from the old Univolt, but it was just too cumbersome to try and make it work (didn't want to mount correctly, no cover to protect the wiring, etc.). I was really surprised how easily everything went together.

Keep up the good work and keep posting pictures!

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:25 AM   #373
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
... I'm sort of curious if anyone has used the 8 gauge wire specified in the Intellipower diagram for the primary battery connection. That seems kind of light to me and sort of explains why my diagram calls for a 40 amp fuse with 6 gauge cable and the Intellipower diagram calls for a 55 amp fuse with 8 gauge cable.... I do have a long run since I put the batteries in the front and my power center will be in the bed frame in the back.
Let me swim against the current (pun fully intended) here. If the batteries were close to the power distribution center, there is no reason to use heavier wire than required by your fuse protection, eg, 40 amps. From a heat standpoint, #12 is good to 41 amps and #10 is good to 55 amps. So for to provide a bit of margin, you'd definitely want at least #10.

If we cant to consider this from a voltage drop standpoint, #10 wire has a resistance of 1 ohm per 1000 feet. Let's assume that you are going to use #10 as your return ground wire, too. So, for a run of 25' from the front to the back, you'd have a total loop resistance using #10 wire of 50/1000, or 0.05 ohms. Computing voltage drop (E=IR), 40x0.05=2 volts, which is not good. If you go to #8 wire (at 0.6 ohm/1000') you'd have a drop of 1.2 volts and for #6 (at 0.4 ohm/1000') you'd have a drop of 0.8 volts. But this is all worst case, at 40 amps.

Lordy, I hope you don't boondock with a draw like that. What kind of battery load can you really expect?
Automotive bulbs -- 1.35 amps (used in the vintage vent lights, 6 ea)LED lights -- 0.20 amps
Fantastic Fan -- 2 amps
Range hood -- 2.5 amps
Water Pump -- 3.5 amps
Heater -- 4-5 ? amps
Radio/CD -- 0.8 amps
Tongue jack -- bazillions of amps

Your worst case would be having two of the vintage vent lights on full blast and the range hood--that would put you up around 18 amps, of which 16 amps are the lights. The intermitent water pump is not a significant factor. If you're careful, even with the old lights, you're most likely at 9-10 amps max, and with new LED lights, you're under 5 continuous amps. Now we're talking. With #10 wire, at 5 amps you'll have only a 1/4 volt drop.

IMHO, a #10 supply wire and a #8 ground return wire is more than adequate. For those bad moments when you're drawing maybe 20 amps, you'll have a 1 volt drop, which isn't terrible. If you've properly fused for 40 amps, #10 wire will never be a safety hazard (OK, don't go coiling up 100' of #10 wire in a tight ball just to prove a point, here).

Since your batteries are up front, you should wire the tongue jack directly to the batteries/tow vehicle charge line through a 40 amp thermal breaker.

Contrary opinions/analysis eagerly awaited.

Zep

PS--All I'm trying to do, here, is to get people to stop wiring their batteries as if they are connected to an engine starter motor. We're never drawing 300 amps in an Airstream, ever. Like never ever. If you draw even 40 amps (except for the tongue jack), you need to readdress why you're in a trailer instead of a 747.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:38 AM   #374
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium View Post
PS--All I'm trying to do, here, is to get people to stop wiring their batteries as if they are connected to an engine starter motor. We're never drawing 300 amps in an Airstream, ever. Like never ever. If you draw even 40 amps (except for the tongue jack), you need to readdress why you're in a trailer instead of a 747.

Heheh... I'm an electrical engineer, and I approve this message.

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 05:50 AM   #375
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
We are planning for air conditioning but we don't want to put one on the roof top, so, we decided to go with central air. Plan is to take a regular window AC unit and flip it. There will be a opening on the bottom that will open and close.
Old 11-15-2009, 03:59 PM   #376
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Worked on belly pan today and attached the shell to front steel hold plate, 33 rivets. I had wanted to go with 5 rows but ended up with only 3 row of rivets. Also attached a vintage antenna filling a hole that was there, worked out great.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	belly1.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	91064   Click image for larger version

Name:	belly2.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	91065  

Name:	belly3.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	91066  
Old 11-15-2009, 05:03 PM   #377
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by toastie View Post
Plan is to take a regular window AC unit and flip it. There will be a opening on the bottom that will open and close.

Toastie, let me apologize (sort of) to start with. This statement you just made leaves too many openings to not respond…

The first time we camped in South Carolina 24 years ago was the first time we ever saw window a/c units on pop-up trailers. They took the propane tank(s) and batteries off the tongue and mounted a window a/c unit. One of the weirdest set-ups we ever saw. Effective though in the 98+ degree temps we camped in.

Based on this experience, I have visions of you mounting a window a/c unit on the tongue of your AS, with a hole cut through the front skin hiding all the really nice rivets you show in your next post. Or, maybe you’ll place the window a/c unit in a window? No matter what you do, you’ll HAVE to post pictures!

One other minor thing – if you flip the a/c unit, won’t you blow hot air into the trailer? I’m sure you MUST have another meaning for “flip,” but I’ll be danged if I can figure out what you mean.

Kay says I’m being bratty.

All in good natured fun,
Chris
Old 11-15-2009, 07:02 PM   #378
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:

Toastie, let me apologize (sort of) to start with. This statement you just made leaves too many openings to not respond…

The first time we camped in South Carolina 24 years ago was the first time we ever saw window a/c units on pop-up trailers. They took the propane tank(s) and batteries off the tongue and mounted a window a/c unit. One of the weirdest set-ups we ever saw. Effective though in the 98+ degree temps we camped in.

Based on this experience, I have visions of you mounting a window a/c unit on the tongue of your AS, with a hole cut through the front skin hiding all the really nice rivets you show in your next post. Or, maybe you’ll place the window a/c unit in a window? No matter what you do, you’ll HAVE to post pictures!

One other minor thing – if you flip the a/c unit, won’t you blow hot air into the trailer? I’m sure you MUST have another meaning for “flip,” but I’ll be danged if I can figure out what you mean.

Kay says I’m being bratty.

All in good natured fun,
Chris
Chris

Will locate the AC next to refrigerator. One of our T.C.T members has a beautifully restored 1947 Spartan and he told me that he had central air and I said that you got to be kidding. I walk around his trailer twice, look on top and bottom and no sign of AC, I gave up and he showed us. The AC is located behind the wall that says AC in the picture, around the corner he had a louvered panel that opened up and there was the AC unit. You can see the opening that he cut for air intake, hot air blows out the bottom of trailer, and the cold air is directed up, then he used flexable duct work. He says that it does a great job. Will post more pic's in the spring.

toastie
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ac1.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	91078   Click image for larger version

Name:	ac.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	91079  

Old 11-16-2009, 06:53 AM   #379
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Wow. I'm impressed!

Chris
Old 11-16-2009, 07:23 AM   #380
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Wow. I'm impressed!

Chris
So was I, will post more pic's in the spring. The other challenge will be the LP/ELEC. hot water tank, suburban LP or 110 volt electric hot water system Suburban RV Water Heaters on Sale. The challenge will be to vent the LP side without cutting a large square hole.

toastie

Tags
1955 safari, floor, redo