Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2019, 07:04 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
White Pigeon , Michigan
Should I trim front and back skins?

In another thread, I addressed the issue of not having the original subfloor to make a template for the new one. The front and back pieces were so rotted that we couldn't get any of the exterior shape from them. This weekend, I decided to reattach the C channel to the shell so there would be some stability when we go to put the shell back on and we have another point of reference for trying to create the new subfloor. The C channel is all the way at the bottom of the skins for the whole thing except for the very front and the very back. The subfloor I am putting in is composite, so there is no danger of rot anymore. Is there any reason I shouldn't trim the skins where it hangs below the channel? My thought process is if it's all even with the C channel we can set it down completely and move/manipulate the shell and C channel to make sure everything's straight and sitting correctly without danger of crinkling the skins. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
emilyweav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 08:11 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Is the C-channel on the straight sections of your shell is the type that wraps around the the subfloor? If so it seems like you are making reinstallation of the shell unnecessarily difficult by pre-installing the C-channels on the shell, rather than installing them on the subfloor and then dropping the shell on top of them.

As to your question about trimming the front and rear of the shell, I would not advise doing so. In the rear, this would result in an unsightly gap which would expose the "endgrain" of your composite subfloor. Even if you are not worried about rot, these trailers are all about aesthetics, and that would not be pleasing to my eye. Similarly, if you trim the front, you are gambling that the banana wraps overlap enough to hide the gap you are creating. Not a risk I would want to take.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 12:09 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
White Pigeon , Michigan
The c channel doesn't wrap around the subfloor. I was surprised when it didn't. The whole reason we took it off is because we thought that would be the case. Since it just sits on top I figured we might as well put it back on to make tracing a new subfloor easier. We are redoing the banana wraps so we should be able to prevent the gap, but even so aren't they both riveted to the c channel? If I trim to right below the C channel, the banana wraps would have to come up above that in order to rivet into the C channel as well. Is there error in my logic? Just trying to think it all through. Thanks!
emilyweav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 12:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Well, there is piece of trim, as I recall, that goes the entire circumference of the trailer and covers up the union between the banana wraps and the exterior skin. This might hide any gaps created by trimming the exterior skins, as I recall the trim piece sitting immediately on top of the horizontal aluminum of the bumper trunk.

All that said, I still don't think you gain anything by trimming the exterior shell. It isn't going to crumple as easily as you imagine, and besides, even if you do bend it up, any wrinkles will be hidden by the above mentioned trim.

Being hand assembled, these trailers have a lot of variation to the way they are put together.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 11:42 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Lincoln University , Pennsylvania
Tape some 1x2s to the bottom of the U Channel all of the way around to protect the shell exterior from crinkling.
Set down the shell and make sure it's all straight (measure, eyeball, measure again) then trace the outline onto your floor, raise the shell and cut, then remove the 1x2 and set if down for good.
andymeyer is offline   Reply With Quote