Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-16-2008, 09:46 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

thanks, I just sent them a message. I appreciate the suggestion.

Cheers.
simonhanbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 09:39 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
There's a coach repair company in North Vancouver that refits buses and if I understand correctly, they also do trailer repairs. I wonder is they would be suitable for the sort of work that needs doing? I drive by it quite regularly and will make a note of the company name the next time I go by.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 12:00 PM   #43
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Post Document,Document,Document

Simon I feel for you. However that really won't help.
First thing I would do, (and I am not a lawyer nor an expert on deceptive trade practices anywhere least of all Canada) is document.
It is always hard to go back mentally and try to recreate and remember, but it is so necessary. Sit down one evening and start trying to put together a time line of promises, excuses they made, visits to the shop by you, names of who might have said what and when etc. It won't be anywhere near absolutely correct, but over time you will recall more than you think. Obviously you documented some of it here for us. Print out this thread and add it to your file. Just make a Word file or use your notepad and save and add to it every time you recall anything they said or did, or that you said or did.

And from this point on ABSOLUTELY DOCUMENT every conversation. Every phone call should be recorded. Every live visit should be audio recorded. Yes I mean clandestinely. I think you have a right to record yourself and your contacts always. Now you may be limited in what you may do with those audio (or video) recordings depending on the local or province or state laws.
Go to Frys or Best Buy or Circuit City etc and purchase a digital pocket recorder. I suggest the Olympus 100 or 300. Cheap..not more than 65 dollars often much less. LEARN TO USE IT. IT'S NOT HARD. PRACTICE AND MAKE SURE YOU HAVE IT DOWN.
ALWAYS USE IT ON THE HIGHEST QUALITY RECORD SETTING. LEARN TO UPLOAD THE RECORDING TO YOUR COMPUTER. BUY A PACK OF A DOZEN name brand BATTERIES (aaa size alkaline) . and CHANGE THE BATTERY TO A NEW ONE ANYTIME YOU ARE GOING TO VISIT THE RV HOUSE. THESE DEVICES WILL RECORD FOR HOURS. DONT RUN OUT OF TIME LEFT, SO BE DILLIGENT WITH YOUR UPLOADS AND BATTERY CHANGING.
GET A SHIRT WITH A BUTTON DOWN POCKET FLAP AND DON'T PUT ANYTHING ELSE IN THAT POCKET CEPT THAT RECORDER WHEN YOU GO TO THE RV DEALERSHIP. >>>BE SURE YOU TURN IT ON TO RECORD BEFORE YOU GET THERE<<< It is easy to forget that IMPORTANT step.
Go to Radio Shack and get their best telephone recording device. Always call the shop from a land line phone if possible. Radio shack #43-2208 is good (about $30 dollars). There may be a device that works on a cell phone or a walkaround wireless home phone but I am not familliar.

I would not say another word to them til I got this all set up.
When it comes to RV repair, auto repair, construction repair or new work or unfortunately almost any transaction these days, you just have to be cynical. It is just the consumers best way of "Trusting but Verifying".

Oh and you will want to double check the "clandestine" recording statutes in your locale. I would get a copy of the statute and add that to the file as well. Do not just accept "hearsay" on the law. Even if you cannot "legally" use the recordings find out if you are prohibited to have them for your private use. (Remember you are only recording conversations of which you are a part). If so they are invaluable in preparing depositions and organizing your thoughts and laying out your case to yourself and your counsel.

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 01:46 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Clandestine recording is frowned upon here in British Columbia. One of our City Councillors found this out the hard way.
Old 04-25-2008, 02:13 PM   #45
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120
Clandestine recording is frowned upon here in British Columbia. One of our City Councillors found this out the hard way.
Well how about frowning is that allowed up there?

I would only be concerned with what is legal not what is polite, unusual circumstance of this RV mess call for unusual action IMHO.

Now to be fair I might add that I guess the RV place which has now been brought into question here, deserves to post their explanation here too if they so choose. Sometimes there are two (or more) sides to a story.
=============

Simon I just saw the interior shots, My goodness what a job.Very very handsome design and work...WoW.
Now I see your committment and feel your pain even more clearly.
Who did all of that work ? Do they have any advice for you on the rear-end finish up? Could they do it?
And is that real tile in the bath? I gotta find a thread on that.
Lastly have you already paid for part of the rear-end work?
All of it? or a draw basis? i.e What incentive do you have to hold over this RV joints head?

Oh and it looks to me that your trailer is movable. Axles still on and the back end could be wrapped for the move. But since it is inside and if there is anyway to come to agreement with these folks I hope it could be finished there. Oh and you need to make a list of the parts they have removed and try to see if they are all accounted for and kept somewhere that they don't get scattered, stepped on, lost or damaged in that shop. Especially things like rub rail, tail lights, emblems, license plate assemblys, and hatch doors and latches.

dd
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 02:21 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Frowning is only permitted for those who have aged prematurely.

I'm not positive, but I don't think anything prevents one from recording a conversation, but as you suggest it may be of no good in court.

In my business, I keep a record of telephone conversations in a book by my phone. I record (in writing) salient points of the conversation. This form of recording is allowed to be used in evidence. It's a good habit to get into for any business related conversation, whether it be via telephone or in person.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:29 PM   #47
Creel Campers

1975 27' Overlander
Zachary , Louisiana
I was wondering if this was ever resolved? I came upon this thread and got very interested. I love the look of the rest of the trailer. We have a 1975 27ft International. So far, the only major update we have done is to put in wood flooring. I think that we will be tackling the rear floor in the near future. The rest of the floor feels solid, but the toilet "rocks". We had a leak in our hot water heater that went on for several months before we found the source. Now we are having problems with the hot water heater. I was wondering about the Hot Water on Demand systems. Any suggestions?
creelcamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:10 AM   #48
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
The Precisiontemp RV500 on demand water heater is the only one rated for RV use.

PrecisionTemp.com: For Recreational Vehicles and Boats

Lewster has loads of experience with these and is also a supplier. You could shoot him a private message, if you have specific questions. An alternative would be to just install a new Atwood heater, which would be a straight swap for the one you have now. It's a very easy job that you can most likely do yourself.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:10 AM   #49
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Has anyone had contact with Simon recently? Like perhaps others following this thread, I am quite curious if he has made any further progress.

His last post was mid-March, surely he has had something happen since then? He never commented on it, but I'm wondering if he made contact with the other rebuilders in the Vancouver area that were suggested to him.

It seems unlikely that flatbedding it to the US could be a reasonable-cost resolution...
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:16 AM   #50
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
I've been watching this thread and haven't seen any further information from Simon. I pass by the dealership in question every now and then and am always tempted to go in and see if his trailer is there.