Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-19-2006, 08:42 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
1962 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Northern , Minnesota
Shell on or off???

I recently purchased a 62 globetrotter with a bad floor. I am in the process of replacing it but I don't know if I should do a shell off or on replacement. I have removed the interior and some the rotted floor. All the good sections of floor remain. I think the replacement will go easier if I take the shell off but I am unsure of the steps. Is there any direct attachment from the ribs to the frame? How do I drop the banana wrap segments? Do I have to remove the interior segments to remove the walls from the frame? I have read some of the threads on shell off but I remain unclear of the steps and what order to proceed. Can anyone advise me.
Bradjun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 10:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
The Airstream in your avatar is purdy & shiny!

The banana wrap/belly wrap should be pretty straightforward. LP piping will probably go before you are done. How is the axle?

If it is consistent with mid-70's construction, there would be a perimeter band just above the floor -- this is called the C-channel. 1/4" bolts connect that to your frame at the outriggers as the principal shell-frame connection.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 11:16 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
1962 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Northern , Minnesota
Shell on Floor

I just sold the Tradewind pictured in my avatar. I just finished a rehab on it and got bored so I bought a 62 Globetrotter that needs a new life. Check the pic's in my photo's. I'm just now starting to figure out this c or u channel business and how it relates to floor and shell removal. I have been reading every thread I can find on the subject and I am leaning towards leaving the shell on and removing the rotten floor. Cleaning and repainting the frame and then renisulating the belly and installing the new floor in segments.I would also like to get a grey tank somewhere in there but living in Northern MN I'm running out of time this fall. I think I will use standard plywood and coat it with WEST system. I've worked with it before in boatbuilding. Since the interior pannels are already removed I can run modern wiring and replumb with PEX. Right now the trailer is gutted and I am for some reason still optimistic. I want to rebuild the same floorplan in Cherry or a Cherry and Maple mix. All the appliances need replacement as does the furnace. I also will get rid of the air pressure water system and install a demamd pump. After the interior is done I will polish the exterior. She has a beautiful shell with almost no damage. If you can think of some pitfalls in the shell on replacement please make me aware. Thanks. Brad
Old 09-19-2006, 11:19 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
1962 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Northern , Minnesota
By the way,yes the LP gas piping will all be replaced. As will the tanks and regulator. I have a share in the Airstream Park in Clearwater. Do you ever visit ??