Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2011, 07:12 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
McLeod , Texas
Shell on advice please

I have the lower interior skins off my '56 Overlander in order to replace the sub floor and do a full remodel. Most of the belly pan is off as well. I will be replacing insulation with Prodex, and redoing all the wiring.

What I would like to do next is remove the rest of the interior skin, insulation, and then remove the sub floor and insulation, which would allow me to pressure wash the entire interior and frame at once. In reading a bunch of different post on floor replacement I am concerned about the structural integrity of doing it in this order.

Advice welcome and appreciated,
Tom
Wooden Rivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 01:53 PM   #2
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Interesting way of doing a reno. Can you get sheets of ply for the subfloor in without separating the shell from the frame?
Old 10-17-2011, 02:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Interesting way of doing a reno. Can you get sheets of ply for the subfloor in without separating the shell from the frame?
Yes and No.

This is a GREAT renovation thread that Shari put together and shows how to do just what you are asking:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f91/...-31084-13.html

With bellypan completely off, you can slide the plywood pieces in from the back/sides etc by flexing the shell relative to the frame. For me, I just finished a floor replacement with bellypan still completely on, but had to cut the rear and second plywood sections down the middle in order to angle them in. I contest that with my plywood splices it is stronger than otherwise, but many people do not like cutting the plywood. (And it is heavier)

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:34 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Folsom , California
I did the floor on my 58 flying cloud. In the end it is easier to jack the thing up, replace the floor and belly pan, and re-attach body then to do it how you describe. Thats they way they built it in the factory and it's much easier to follow the same process.

Just my opinion based on having gone thru the process.
ddstech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:18 PM   #5
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldinchaos View Post
Yes and No.

This is a GREAT renovation thread that Shari put together and shows how to do just what you are asking:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f91/...-31084-13.html
Thanks for the link. Shari has done a marvellous job!

What I want to replace on my '74 Sov is the very back piece. The "trunk" area leaks like a sieve, and as a result, the thin strip of ply that is left at the very very rear has been soaked for a long time (before I got the trailer) and as a result, it's dissolving. The opening in the floor is very large at the back to allow for the two guillotines and connections to the rear sink and tub, I wonder what ever made the engineer that designed that section think that it would ever last!

In any event, unless I'm mistaken, that section of wood is what is holding the back of the shell to the back of the frame. It needs to be replaced. However, oddly enough, that is the only section of floor that is bad! I've been all around the floor (the carpet is loose, not fastened at all) and the whole thing is solid.

I'm thinking that if I completely remove the bathroom furniture, cabinets, and tub, I should be be able to get at that rear piece of ply and hopefully be able to wiggle a new one into place without tearing the entire trailer apart. Mrs. Aage won't allow the trailer to be out of commission for a whole summer, but I could get by taking the bathroom out of commission if the rest of the TT is still usable.

Does that sound completely crazy? If anyone ever tried anything like what I am describing, I would sure love to hear your comments...
Old 10-18-2011, 06:09 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
McLeod , Texas
Thanks everyone for the quick responses. Shari did do a wonderful job on her trailer and the thread. That must have been the only floor thread that I haven't read. Need to look it over some more, but I feel much better about going ahead now. My main concern was if removing all the interior skin would weaken the frame to the point that it would not support the weight of the AC. Just to be safe, I think I will put in a temp brace to support the AC.

Thanks again everyone,

Tom
Wooden Rivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:08 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
Been there and done that on a '73 27'... (Use google with site:airforums.com added to your choice of search terms is a good way to mine info!)

My own misstep in the rehab progress.. (Shell off now in progress)
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...bly-32827.html

"Replacing the last foot of flooring"
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...ell-69873.html

"Using rotten floor as template"
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...ual-61862.html