Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-26-2009, 04:12 PM   #201
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckasaurus View Post

NEWS. I've got a confirmed place on an Aircraft Structures course starting this fall so by spring '10 I should be better placed to get the door just right
Sweet, you should be all trained up just in time to come down to Seattle and help rebuild my door.

Have you managed to get the wheel wells lined up yet?
Old 07-26-2009, 04:28 PM   #202
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
I'm hoping that I might score a little extra shop time at school for a door rebuild session, they unsurprisingly appear to have some cool tools, not to mention the fun I expect to have in the composites lab...All I need to find is a good night class in welding and I should have all my bases covered for the next project trailer.

The wheel wells are still not aligned correctly, a think I'll go and take another look see, maybe I'll find something I missed but if not I'll adjust the template to fit. Part of the problem may be that the curbside panel was bowed out around that wells when I picked her up. I thought the door opening in motion may have not only dented the panel and mashed the stringers but stretched the sheet a bit. Now the panels look straight which is great improvement. I have my fingers crossed that removing the bracing will solve the problem.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:56 PM   #203
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
When we were putting Ryan's shell back down we had a lot of trouble getting the rear street side to line up correctly. Working slowly back and forth, strategically removing bracing and adjusting the jacks on the frame eventually got everything lined up.

I'm expecting problems with my wheel wells - at least on the street side. During the polishing, I realized my streetside wheel well is pushed in at the front of the wheel well. That prompted me to take a look at the inside of the wheel well under the kitchen cabinet and I found it had been shoved into the cabinet framing. So, I'm probably going to need an entire new wheel well for that side. I saw David Winick sells pairs of single axle wheel wells for $275/pair.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:35 AM   #204
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I think this is your door latch... Bargman Lock
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 05:34 AM   #205
3 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
1990 34' Limited
Cape Coral , Florida
Just a quick thought regarding the extent of the misalignment on the wheelwells. Run a stringline the lenth of the frame and see if there is a guz-down in the middle.
dieseleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:19 PM   #206
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
no more gymnastics

At last I've installed the steel bow anchor brackets and whipped out the bracing cats cradle, what a relief, now I can move around without feeling like Forest Gump.

With the bracing out I tried all sorts of techniques involving jacks etc but the gap remains constant and the frame straight so I'm going to go with plan B which is tailoring the replacement side panels to match. On that note I'm getting cold feet about replacing the curb side 2nd up panel, I mean how many people do I need? two? I'll try the street side lower this long weekend and go from there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0401.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	164.8 KB
ID:	84661  
Old 07-28-2009, 07:28 PM   #207
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
At last I've installed the steel bow anchor brackets and whipped out the bracing cats cradle, what a relief, now I can move around without feeling like Forest Gump.

With the bracing out I tried all sorts of techniques involving jacks etc but the gap remains constant and the frame straight so I'm going to go with plan B which is tailoring the replacement side panels to match. On that note I'm getting cold feet about replacing the curb side 2nd up panel, I mean how many people do I need? two? I'll try the street side lower this long weekend and go from there.
Man that interior looks clean and fresh. I sometimes wish I had gone ahead and done a full monte as you are.

And then I look at your expected departure date in your signature, and I become a bit happier about my shell-on job.

Regardless, the work you are doing is top-notch, and you will never regret any of it.

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:39 PM   #208
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
could you post some pictures of the issue you are having? This might help me visualize a solution to this misalignment.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:02 AM   #209
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Sound like you have tired everything to get alignment. Here is one other thought. When the shell is lowered down onto the floor all the ribs of the shell must slide down into the "C" channel. On my trailer the ribs all touch the bottom of the "C" channel. Maybe the ribs that are next to the fenders have not seated down. This is not enough space to match your misalignment but sometimes every little bit helps. Your trailer work is looking great. Did you put penetrating epoxy on the floor to get that shine or something else?
Don
NorCal Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:23 AM   #210
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
Hey Don, I used a couple of coats or East System epoxy with aluminum powder on the underside to protect a little better. I don't think I'd go this route again though, maybe automotive undercoating underneath and a sealer topside.

I'm going to take some pictures on Franks suggestion and post them up so maybe that will conjure up more ideas. The ribs between the bows do hover just at the height of the channel but they are not snagged. The trailer seems to be built in a kind of "organic" way, I mean ribs aren't even parallel to each other but I'm really pleased to have got the wave out of the side panel that I can deal with a little massaging.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:27 AM   #211
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
Quick question #1. If I skin over the doorway can I just run the air nibblers around afterwards to re-create the opening then file to finish?
Old 07-29-2009, 01:28 PM   #212
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
Exhibits a thru d

Here are some shots showing the wheel well mystery. My current conclusion is that the wells were secured to the chassis maybe a couple of inches in from the corners you see butyl taped to the chassis. And that either from day 1 or over time the shell lifted them up at the these corners allowing the lip riveted to the shell panels to elevate somewhat. How does that sound? I'm not totally buying it either but that's all I've got.

On the up side I'm including a shot of my 16' x 4' panel table I made at lunchtime ready for the templating work.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0442.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	84699   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0454.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	84700  

Name:	IMG_0456.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	84701   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0457.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	84702  

Name:	IMG_0461.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	84703  
Old 07-29-2009, 01:57 PM   #213
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
How about maybe the frame is bent just a bit "upwards" over the wheel wells? My '73 has the plastic wheel wells and they didn't go back in correctly either. Made the roadside outer skin look a little weird. Just a couple of random thoughts.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:57 PM   #214
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
Truck, you should talk to Ryan about this (and he might chime in as I know they are back from their maiden voyage), but from the looks of your first picture, the rib is hung up on the inside edge of the c-channel which is preventing the shell from coming all the way down. I know Katie and Ryan found several spots around their trailer where this occurred. He just snipped out the inside edge of the c-channel around the rib to let the rib come all the way down into the channel. Check out the photos at the end of this post to their blog: Time to put the lid back on the frame

Norm
Old 07-29-2009, 03:15 PM   #215
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
The only thing I can say is is that things move around. There are many factors that can contribute, how the trailer was setting when it was originally manufactured, etc.etc. The question now is is the frame straight, is there any buckles in the skin, is everything good except this one issue. If it is, redrill it, trim the excess off, and press on.

Kip
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:47 PM   #216
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbosa View Post
Truck, you should talk to Ryan about this (and he might chime in as I know they are back from their maiden voyage...

Norm
Maiden voyage? Did I miss something, like about 3 months of interior work?

Or, is this one of those "auminum tent" maiden voyages?
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:59 PM   #217
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Quote:
Quick question #1. If I skin over the doorway can I just run the air nibblers around afterwards to re-create the opening then file to finish?
This is one way of doing it. You should have no problems doing it this way.

Kip
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 04:09 PM   #218
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Okay here is what I see... the wheel wells previously had a thick ribbon of putty between the plywood and the wheel well. That would raise you a thick 3/16th right there. I also think if you push up on the inside of the well it will lift that line up so you can cleco and then rivet.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:23 PM   #219
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Well, since the wheelwells are under the plywood (right?), it's a bit late to lift them up now... how about putting a bottle jack on top of the wheel, and use some wood to distribute the load, and then jack up the well to line up the rivet lines, cleco, and then you're free! The wheel wells should flex enough to make it work... no?

Is this the reason for the reskin?
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 04:42 PM   #220
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
That is exactly what I was aiming to say. Thanks Mark for saying it better. I would think you can flex that wheel well up to where you need it.