Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-28-2011, 07:51 PM   #261
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
On to windows

My husband removed the living room curbside window tonight after work with the idea to fix the huge bubbles and mess from between the two panes. He said he doesn't see any way to fix them besides drilling out the rivets and then separating the two panes. Sounds like risky business but we don't have a lot of choices because they are a mess.

The three windows in the front (two wings and the center pane) have about an inch or two of "stuff" protruding into the window space now. They are truly awful and will need a lot of work. I have read through the window repair posts and everyone seems to be talking about different window types and procedures. Does any one have all double pane windows that they have removed and successfully repaired? What is used to keep the panes apart once you clean them out and try to put them back in? Do you have to use a spool gun to weld the aluminum frames back at any point? Looking for answers and suggestions. Thanks...
Sandy
ND10CentCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:35 PM   #262
x

XXXX , XXXX
Sandy this is the best thread on repairing windows.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f454...ilm-37422.html
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:10 PM   #263
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Thanks Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
Sandy this is the best thread on repairing windows.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f454...ilm-37422.html
Thanks for that link. I have looked at many of the window links but don't understand what keeps the two panes apart. It appears there is a silver or aluminum piece in between the two panes and not sure what that is or where to get it. Do we just put in butyl tape or is there actually a gasket that goes in there? I have looked at different suppliers too and can't see that part listed anywhere. I am still not clear on this part of the window repair.
Sandy
Old 12-18-2011, 09:23 PM   #264
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Husband did some work on the exterior lights today on the Albatross and has been cleaning all of those up and replacing all of the lenses. I only wish the rest of the trailer looked as good as these lenses do right now. We have all new cans for the back lights and will be putting in those along with all new lenses. Some of the bases of these lights were so corroded and degraded that we just bought the entire base and lense as a set. One step at a time, one step at a time. Great news is that my husband got me a gift certificate to Vintage Trailer Supply for my birthday. I think I can find a few things there I want
Sandy
Old 12-22-2011, 09:38 PM   #265
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Second impression tomorrow

Daughter, son in law, and two little granddaughters are going to get their second look tomorrow at the Albatross since they first viewed it in September 2010. All my daughter could say then was "This is quite the project." and "Are you guys sure you want to tackle such a big project?"
That was back before we had any idea of what we were getting ourselves into.

I have been telling my daughter over the phone since the first visit to the smelly mouse ridden, dirty old AS, it is going to be quite different today. I know we aren't very far along but compared to where we started, we are moving along. I will report comments on the up close and personal responses tomorrow. I would like them to fall in love with aluminum the way we have. Hopefully they don't attempt to get us committed to the insane asylum for putting this much time, detail, effort, and money spent on big shiny trailers.
Sandy
Old 12-22-2011, 10:59 PM   #266
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND10CentCan View Post
Daughter, son in law, and two little granddaughters are going to get their second look tomorrow at the Albatross since they first viewed it in September 2010. All my daughter could say then was "This is quite the project." and "Are you guys sure you want to tackle such a big project?"

I have been telling my daughter over the phone since the first visit to the smelly mouse ridden, dirty old AS, it is going to be quite different today. I know we aren't very far along but compared to where we started, we are moving along. I will report comments on the up close and personal responses tomorrow. I would like them to fall in love with aluminum the way we have. Hopefully they don't attempt to get us committed to the insane asylum for putting this much time, detail, effort, and money spent on big shiny trailers.
Sandy

You're living right! So you have nothing to worry about!
I'm getting ready to drop the Spartan I bought off at my mom and my step dad's farm. They aren't vintage trailer people, but I think they will be as soon as they get a glimpse of this elegant lady. OR they could call me crazy...
SO you see..it can work both ways
Eric H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 04:12 PM   #267
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Not addicted for now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
You're living right! So you have nothing to worry about!
I'm getting ready to drop the Spartan I bought off at my mom and my step dad's farm. They aren't vintage trailer people, but I think they will be as soon as they get a glimpse of this elegant lady. OR they could call me crazy...ra
SO you see..it can work both ways
Eric,
No one can resist the pull of aluminum for long. It starts innocently enough and soon progresses to full out addiction marked by crazy thoughts of trying to get another one, working on the one(s) you have, buying more parts, looking at other people's aluminum and so on. I say good luck to them if they can resist vintage trailers. They would be so much stronger than I am. I think they are all beautiful and would like to park them all in my yard .
Sandy
Old 12-23-2011, 04:18 PM   #268
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Closer to convinced

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND10CentCan View Post

Sandy
My granddaughters loved the little campers and can't wait to go camping. They wanted to sleep in the Pacer but their mom said no. It is warm here for December and we have no snow so I am not sure of her objection.
My daughter said she can't believe how much better it looks and smells than the last time she saw the Albatross. I think she is closer to thinking it might have been a good move.

Husband has the bathroom window out and ready for me to clean up. I spent the day fixing turkey and all the trimmings and we have some games we are going to play this evening so the window will have to wait for now. We are hoping to take the Albatross on its maiden voyage with everyone in August to Duluth. Should be a really fun trip and something to look forward to.
Sandy
Old 01-02-2012, 03:32 PM   #269
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
More progress...slow and steady wins the race

Here are some photos of our progress over the long weekend: the refnishing of the bathtub, some brake light work, and the running lights are working! It seems like we stay busy working but don't seem to make tons of progress. Slow and steady I guess.

We are replacing all of the wiring in the Albatross because I fear a fire from old wiring. Maybe too conservative but safe. We have some of the wiring now but need to purchase a lot more before we will have it all ready to go. I am wondering if someone had a central vac system in this trailer because there is a wire for a vacuum. Hmmm...that gives me a great idea! A central vac-Yippee.
Sandy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	January 2012 Albatross Progress 028.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	148092   Click image for larger version

Name:	January 2012 Albatross Progress 033.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	212.1 KB
ID:	148093  

Click image for larger version

Name:	January 2012 Albatross Progress 049.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	272.4 KB
ID:	148094   Click image for larger version

Name:	January 2012 Albatross Progress 056.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	251.3 KB
ID:	148095  

Old 01-03-2012, 09:34 AM   #270
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Love the purple table cloth covered by plastic and newspaper. Such a trend setter in restoration glam.......

Looking good. Progress is progress - every little bit is a move in the right direction. New wiring is a very good move.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:07 PM   #271
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Always in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy View Post
Love the purple table cloth covered by plastic and newspaper. Such a trend setter in restoration glam.......

Looking good. Progress is progress - every little bit is a move in the right direction. New wiring is a very good move.
I had to take a look back at the pictures to see the purple tablecloth. A hold over from a birthday party that we ended up using for our project table cover up. Looks pretty stylish now that I look at it.
Sandy
Old 01-04-2012, 07:25 AM   #272
ALUMINUM OBSSESSION

1993 34' Limited
Hamilton , Ontario
Mig welding is Okay but stick welding is better!!
While working in the body shop ( city buses) . The best bodyman I know, recommended Stick welding over mig welding especially frame members.
The stick welds are more flexable, thus they don't crack as easily.
Mig welding works good but the welds are more rigid.
I used to mig weld quite a bit. But would stick weld frame members.
The mig welder I used was a 600volt Miller commercial duty that would allow you to weld 1/2 inch plating. But when welding steel frames ,stick welding is the the way to go in my opinion!!!
william Haym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:15 AM   #273
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
What matters here is weld penetration and cooling rates.... Airstream frames are amazingly thin; even a small 240V MIG welder will provide 100% penetration welds on these frames.

Yes, for structural stuff I usually use a stick welder - and definitely for all pressure stuff. But MIG works well enough for thin sections...

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:28 PM   #274
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
More welding in our future? No...no...hopefully no

I am sure hoping that we don't end up having to go to the level of frame repair on the Pacer as we did on this one. At least now my husband has the welding skills and the equipment to do so if need be. Let's keep our fingers crossed that we don't have to head down that road again.

We are moving slowly towards our first outing with the Albatross in late July and we are going to need every day to get ready to be on the road. Tonight I put the second coat of primer on the interior skins in preparation for reinstallation. My husband is wiring and my next job is to cut strips of foam insulation and put them up as spacers so we can put foil insulation up. I am wondering how people put the foam strips up on the walls....double sticky tape, spray adhesive, foil tape? Please weigh in with your methods before I get started and have to redo anything. Thanks in advance of help.
Sandy
Old 12-05-2012, 07:41 PM   #275
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Never say never....Fun Times!

I am getting a unique opportunity to take a Rosie the Riveter Boot Camp class at the Technical Center where I work. We started with an introduction to Auto Body, moved to HVAC, on to Auto Tech, and now in Welding. I spent two days trying to cut with a plasma cutter and I like it. I need a lot more practice but it was a blast. Gives a person even more respect for people that do this well.

We are going to start our actual welding next week and then back to Auto Body. The Auto Body intro was fun too with trying to pound out dents and use filler. I would need a couple of more years of practice on that part alone to be passable. So much to learn and so little time. It is too bad these opportunities weren't available when I was in high school.

I am going to see if we can do some work on the Pacer Marvel fridge in HVAC. Never too late to learn something new and find new tools you haven't used yet. I am having FUN!
Sandy

Tags
frame, repair