Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-28-2020, 11:20 AM   #1
apogue

1974 31' Sovereign
Williams , AZ
Secure Subfloor Between Wheel Wells Question

We are putting in new subfloor between our Wheels Wells (also replaced the wheel wells) on our 1974 Sovereign. For our model, the wheel wells sit between the frame and the subfloor. Where the wheel wells sit, there are no holes in the frame where bolts or screws would have gone to secure the wheel wells and subfloor to the main frame so we are trying to figure out how to move forward.

Any suggestions on how to secure both the wheel wells and subfloor to the frame?
Obipogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 09:47 AM   #2

1968 30' Sovereign
Yantis , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alia Devick View Post
We are putting in new subfloor between our Wheels Wells (also replaced the wheel wells) on our 1974 Sovereign. For our model, the wheel wells sit between the frame and the subfloor. Where the wheel wells sit, there are no holes in the frame where bolts or screws would have gone to secure the wheel wells and subfloor to the main frame so we are trying to figure out how to move forward.

Any suggestions on how to secure both the wheel wells and subfloor to the frame?

Hi Alia,
I too am at the wheel well stage on our 1968 Sovereign. When I removed the old floor I noticed how much floor rot and rust around wheel wells. I believe tucking wheel well flanges between frame and floor is fatal design flaw. As we all know water finds the path of lest resistance and pulling a trailer in a heavy rain storm you are getting a large amount of water being forced into wheel well. I am building my wheel wells were they will shed water down with no opportunity for water to be forced between floor and frame. Still working on that design. Let you know how it turns out. Maybe others have ideas.
Mwahler is offline   Reply With Quote