Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2010, 07:37 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Pelzer , South Carolina
Sealing plywood for floor replacement

Don't know a lot about sealing plywood for my floor replacement. I keep reading about sealing the edges of the plywood. What would happen if I sealed the edges, top, bottom, all over? I've seen SOB with the bottom side completely sealed, since they don't have a belly pan for protection. Also, wooden boats are completely sealed on the outside, maybe both sides, I'm not sure??? Is the issue cost or does sealing the whole sheet of plywood cause some other problems? Any experienced knowledge would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Randy
watt1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 07:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1967 22' Safari
1958 22' World Traveler
Pardeeville , Wisconsin
Im planning one possibly doing something similar with the floors in the 2 trailers Im doing. Not sure yet if Im going with treated or not...BUT, the edges will definately be sealed. and possibly the top...
WBCCI #10917
AIR #32349
TAC #WI-2
aircooled4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 07:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
This is one of those topics about which you'll get many different opinions.

The edges are the important part--that's where we almost always see the rot. But, the damage can migrate inward from those edges too.

Mine has West System Epoxy top and bottom with a layer of fiberglass cloth on the top and wrapping around the edges and to about 3" on the bottom. I know it can get wet without damage, but it's extra work and cost.

-steve

Blog: My 57 Caravanner
pbearsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 07:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
I painted the interior old flooring with 3 coats of porch paint except for a 3-inch border around the shell - one to be a tell-flag if the wood was getting wet and two to allow it to dry if/when it did. I was trying to seal up smells and it seems to have worked though now I think if the bottom is left unpainted the top can be sealed side to side w/o leaving a border.

I sealed the one new replacement sheet installed (rear bathroom) with vinyl ester resin on all sides - thinned with xylene for first coats - and armored it well. Amazing how much resin the end grains soaked up.